'Sacked' And Not Sure What To Do

I was on  probation with a large organisation. I was told throughout the probation that all was great. Then, three days before the end of probation mtg, I was told I failed and they were going to extend the probation by a month. The reason they gave for the fail was small to say the least but I went with it and said I wanted to learn etc. Three days later they gave me my "action plan" which included input from various people. I didn't get a letter or anything in writing saying why I'd failed the probation. To cut things short, a few days later, I got called in and was told my employment was ended again flimsy reasons to put it mildly (I can't say the details due to the nature of the job). There hadn't been any time for any input or anything from the action plan. They told me I would receive an email from HR within a few hours and a letter. That was on Friday. I've heard nothing. So I emailed the person from the meeting this afternoon and politely asked when I'd get the email (understanding that a letter takes time if it's coming through the post). Their response is they've just disconnected my email.

Is there anything I can do?

I realise that in probation the grievance procedure doesn't count but it seems I have been hung out to dry here and I am at a loss what to do next. I feel like, due to no grievance procedures counting, I have no rights and they can just get rid of me with nothing in writing which just seems wrong :(

From my understanding, if you've been in a job for less than 2 years, they can get rid of you for any genuine reason

1 hour ago, monkeygirl said:

I was on  probation with a large organisation. I was told throughout the probation that all was great. Then, three days before the end of probation mtg, I was told I failed and they were going to extend the probation by a month. The reason they gave for the fail was small to say the least but I went with it and said I wanted to learn etc. Three days later they gave me my "action plan" which included input from various people. I didn't get a letter or anything in writing saying why I'd failed the probation. To cut things short, a few days later, I got called in and was told my employment was ended again flimsy reasons to put it mildly (I can't say the details due to the nature of the job). There hadn't been any time for any input or anything from the action plan. They told me I would receive an email from HR within a few hours and a letter. That was on Friday. I've heard nothing. So I emailed the person from the meeting this afternoon and politely asked when I'd get the email (understanding that a letter takes time if it's coming through the post). Their response is they've just disconnected my email.

I realise that in probation the grievance procedure doesn't count but it seems I have been hung out to dry here and I am at a loss what to do next. I feel like, due to no grievance procedures counting, I have no rights and they can just get rid of me with nothing in writing which just seems wrong :(

This might help and you do have rights and they certainly should follow a proper process.  

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/leaving-a-job/dismissal/check-if-your-dismissal-is-fair/#:~:text=If you think you were sacked because of an automatically,the right to challenge it.

You are protected against certain things , such as discrimination, whistleblowing etc from day one. If you feel that is one of the reasons for your dismissal then you need proper professional advice sooner rather than later. Otherwise, your best course of action might be to move on and find a better job elsewhere. 

Sorry to hear your predicament. They sound like a bunch ... so maybe in the long run this could be a good thing for you? Though I’m sure it won’t seem so right now.

Anyhow, not sure what the legalities are, so please take the following with a massive pinch of salt ... but as you’ve not received any official written communication terminating your employment, shouldn’t you consider yourself still employed? I’d be tempted to keep turning up for work until they give you something in writing.

Edited by Waldo

Good luck and dont let things get you down monkeygirl

This is what very bad companies do to good people.

It may be hard to stay on good terms to get them to write references for you.

Use them like they used you.

On 04/05/2021 at 18:35, monkeygirl said:

Its totally wrong and you would win an unfair dismissal claim. problem is you would only win satisfaction and your notice period.

If it was discrimination you would win a good amount but you have to ask yourself " would anyone take this on"

Happy to talk to you about it if you need help.

On 19/06/2021 at 22:36, phil viper said:

Its totally wrong and you would win an unfair dismissal claim. problem is you would only win satisfaction and your notice period.

If it was discrimination you would win a good amount but you have to ask yourself " would anyone take this on"

Happy to talk to you about it if you need help.

Unless there is an automatically unfair reason for dismissal the OP doesn’t have the right to bring a claim for unfair dismissal as she hasn’t been employed for two years, as mentioned by other posters.  Compensation for  unfair dismissal claims isn’t calculated on the basis of “satisfaction and your notice period” either - I don’t know where you have got that from.