Are We Too Soft Of Deadbeat Parents?

Just now, makapaka said:

The CMS do the same investigations.

Really? 

That's not the message that's was given so I'll make a point of passing it on and get it chased up. 

Thank you for that makapaka 🙏

Guest makapaka
11 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Really? 

That's not the message that's was given so I'll make a point of passing it on and get it chased up. 

Thank you for that makapaka 🙏

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/child-maintenance-service-visits-by-investigating-officers-factsheet/a-guide-to-visits-by-child-maintenance-service-investigating-officers

7 hours ago, makapaka said:

Agree with the sentiment - it’s not always straight forward tho is it.

two people have a kid - maybe not planned - don’t stay together.

both might be struggling for money - let’s say mother doesn’t want to know father afterwards for whatever reason good or bad.

you gonna put a fella in nick for being skint?

Government can do something but needs to be measured and means tested.

They give the parent with care loads of money in the form of tax credits and child benefit, for the first two children.

Single people are poor, single parents less so. But in some cases, that money given to the parent does NOT get spent on the child.

Free school meals for all children would be a start. What should that money be spent on?

Swimming lessons would be a minimum, what else?

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

They give the parent with care loads of money in the form of tax credits and child benefit, for the first two children.

Single people are poor, single parents less so. But in some cases, that money given to the parent does NOT get spent on the child.

Free school meals for all children would be a start. What should that money be spent on?

Swimming lessons would be a minimum, what else?

Free Windows Laptop for all junior and secondary age pupils :D 

I hark back to my own secondary school days where they used BBC Micros and Acorn Archimedes computers, which were outdated even by the standard of the late 80s/early 90s.

Speaking of deadbeat parents, number 10 refuses to deny a tory donor paid for boriss kids childcare. 

Parents with a reasonable moral compass will take the responsibility for supporting children they have created.   Sadly there will always be the others, and it then falls on the resident parent, not always but usually the mother, to ensure the children are housed, fed and clothed.    I believe there should be some sort of sanctions.

I think children need to be taught about personal responsibility in school, as it's obvious many aren't getting that message within their families.   Encourage them to develop skills and confidence that will help them get into work, even if that work isn't what they might have been brought up to expect.  Most pit villages don't have a pit these days!  All the mills in my hometown were closed by the end of the 70s.  The world of work has changed enormously in my  (fairly long) lifetime.  Encourage them to think about ensuring they can afford a home, with or without a partner, if they decide to have a child.  There are fewer excuses for unwanted pregnancies than there ever were.    

I'd support free school meals for all children, but it would have to be balanced by higher taxes, another hit on higher earners who no longer qualify for child benefit.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

26 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Parents with a reasonable moral compass will take the responsibility for supporting children they have created.   Sadly there will always be the others, and it then falls on the resident parent, not always but usually the mother, to ensure the children are housed, fed and clothed.    I believe there should be some sort of sanctions.

I think children need to be taught about personal responsibility in school, as it's obvious many aren't getting that message within their families.   Encourage them to develop skills and confidence that will help them get into work, even if that work isn't what they might have been brought up to expect.  Most pit villages don't have a pit these days!  All the mills in my hometown were closed by the end of the 70s.  The world of work has changed enormously in my  (fairly long) lifetime.  Encourage them to think about ensuring they can afford a home, with or without a partner, if they decide to have a child.  There are fewer excuses for unwanted pregnancies than there ever were.    

I'd support free school meals for all children, but it would have to be balanced by higher taxes, another hit on higher earners who no longer qualify for child benefit.

If you've ever seen the movie "Kes", back in the early 70s it was envisaged that most lads would follow their Dads to work down t'Pit apparently :D 

On 03/05/2021 at 23:21, Longcol said:

Always the womans fault then?

Shouldn't the father contribute?

I wasn't claiming any partner more at fault than the other just meant that the father should contribute as much as the mother to his offspring.

People just don't accept responsibility for their actions as much as they should, kids, debt etc. is not someone else's, it's yours, if you have kids then provide for them whether they live with you or not.

Regards,

Duffems

8 hours ago, DUFFEMS said:

I wasn't claiming any partner more at fault than the other just meant that the father should contribute as much as the mother to his offspring.

People just don't accept responsibility for their actions as much as they should, kids, debt etc. is not someone else's, it's yours, if you have kids then provide for them whether they live with you or not.

Regards,

Duffems

Thank you - appreciated.