Norton Areodrome

Any one knows whats being built?

i think the idea is to remove the buildings first,would of made a great history site,as a  RAF site,but i heard the lands iffy,with oil/petrol ect,but good views ,so i expect housing,but would of made a great attract as a historic site.

Buildings are full of asbestos. With vandalism and anti social behaviour it’s not safe to leave them up.  Nothing will be built on the site for the foreseeable future. The site is in the Green Belt so it’ll take the long awaited Local Plan to change that and allow development of any sort. Housing is the most likely. Sheffield needs a lot more homes over the next 20 years and, whilst new homes are often not popular anywhere, this site is more sustainable than many with good transport links etc so is likely to come out as a future housing site. Hope this helps 

Edited by Fredderick

Hi there , the site is full of Asbestod and a lot of it is underground ! dont know why ? the reason i know is that i got permission to metal detect on it hoping to find some relics from when the site was in use by the RAF and all i found was scrap and Asestos 😕 but you dont have to go far to find some real history this video shows what can be found in Sheffield and is just behind where the site is located .

i agree with that,but it would of made a great RAF history base ,and i think would of been very intresting place for tourists to visit,but alas i think that would of have had to be done years ago,so it will be expensive posh housing in time,with those views,

Love your videos Robert. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Fredderick said:

Buildings are full of asbestos. With vandalism and anti social behaviour it’s not safe to leave them up.  Nothing will be built on the site for the foreseeable future. The site is in the Green Belt so it’ll take the long awaited Local Plan to change that and allow development of any sort. Housing is the most likely. Sheffield needs a lot more homes over the next 20 years and, whilst new homes are often not popular anywhere, this site is more sustainable than many with good transport links etc so is likely to come out as a future housing site. Hope this helps 

All the asbestos was removed from the buildings about 18 months ago thats why the roof is missing from the largest building, I think it's still in the surrounding ground though.

Sheffield United want it I believe 

Isn't the site owned by the NHS. It was once said it was a project for a new hospital, the Southern General? What happened to that idea. It would be ideal, on the ring road, good access. Opposite Herdings Park Tram stop?