Circus Comes To Sheffield

Around 1958 I along with many other folks went down to the Midland station to watch the circus arrive.

I cannot remember just what in the way of animals and the containers they were in did arrive, but what I do remember is the Elephants being walked along from the station to the circus site around the

Eldon Street / Trafalgar Street area. I walked along with them, did anyone else ?

Bit before my time that :D 

I've been to one or 2 Circuses though, last one I went to was in Endcliffe Park about 3 or 4 years ago as I recall.

no animals these days,but a few circuses have survived,but its been a hard year for all businesses ,inc circuses,funfairs and shops ect.

Yeah there was a Funfair in Hillsborough Park recently.

15 hours ago, Runningman said:

Around 1958 I along with many other folks went down to the Midland station to watch the circus arrive.

I cannot remember just what in the way of animals and the containers they were in did arrive, but what I do remember is the Elephants being walked along from the station to the circus site around the

Eldon Street / Trafalgar Street area. I walked along with them, did anyone else ?

I remember going on a school trip to see Chipperfield's Circus in 1958. The circus tent was on Devonshire Green, so it may have been the one you saw.

Hi Running Man.  I too remember the elephants visit to Sheffield in 1958.  I thought at some stage that I'd imagined it. It was so magical to me.   I was 10 years old. I don't remember where they were but I've loved them ever since.  I can remember looking up to their eyes and thinking they seemed tired.

I went to Kenya in 2003 to see them in the wild.

Thanks for the memory jolt.

I go back a little further.

I remember the circus coming to the Empire Theatre around 1947 or so, elephants and all. How they got the animals and trapeze on that small stage must have been a logistics nightmare.

But even weirder was a small gypsie circus that came to a small town in Poland in 2002, where I was working at the time, No regulations for health or safety at all.

The ringmaster was also the guy who took the admission money, tamed the tiger, and threw real knives at his wife, who also sold the snacks

I was an adult, but it was the scariest thing to see how close he came to hitting her.

Edited by trastrick

My other half recalls the animals for the circus in 1950s with the elephants walking along. 

i remember the elephants walking through the wicker going towards atttercliffe with the elephants trunk holding the tail of the one in front. you could see all the animals coming through the wicker then, of course Sheffield does not allow such circuses know.