The Dup Madwagon Rolls On

With Arlene Foster being given the heave-ho because of Brexit and not hating gays sufficiently, the front runner to take charge is Edwin Poots

His views are as comedic as his name, he is a creationist who believes the Earth is only 6000 year olds. I would love to put him in a room full of paleontologists - DAYN'T TARK TA MAY ABITE PAYLEANTALAGISTS.

Why are so many Unionists so weird?

On 01/05/2021 at 09:57, Delbow said:

With Arlene Foster being given the heave-ho because of Brexit and not hating gays sufficiently, the front runner to take charge is Edwin Poots

His views are as comedic as his name, he is a creationist who believes the Earth is only 6000 year olds. I would love to put him in a room full of paleontologists - DAYN'T TARK TA MAY ABITE PAYLEANTALAGISTS.

Why are so many Unionists so weird?

He’s the new leader, does this mean we can’t call them dinosaurs anymore?

3 minutes ago, butlers said:

Slight shades of Alan Partridge here,but it's from Poots Wiki.

Poots was educated at the Wallace High School, Lisburn, and then studied at Greenmount Agricultural College. He is a farmer and is married to four children.[citation needed]

don't you mean with rather than to......

It's  straight off the WIKI.

I would imagine now he's newsworthy a correction will be along

I wonder what he thinks of our philandering PM shagger Johnson? When the history of the DUP comes to be written this could go down as the Poots putsch.

Edited by Mister Gee

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

I wonder what he thinks of of our philandering PM shagger Johnson? When the history of the DUP comes to be written this could go down as the Poots putsch.

I imagine he thinks like most of the rest of us do. 

We may find his beliefs strange, but he doesn't seem to shout about them and he seems to be rather more prgamatic than you would expect from both being a young earth creationist and also a member of the DUP. 

I guess time will tell how good he is. It appears that while party leader, he will let another member be first minister and he will concentrate on the party. That seems quite a canny move and removes all sorts of distracting/stupid questions/comments about his beliefs at a time when people need to be fully focussed on NI's problems. 

13 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

I imagine he thinks like most of the rest of us do. 

We may find his beliefs strange, but he doesn't seem to shout about them and he seems to be rather more prgamatic than you would expect from both being a young earth creationist and also a member of the DUP. 

I guess time will tell how good he is. It appears that while party leader, he will let another member be first minister and he will concentrate on the party. That seems quite a canny move and removes all sorts of distracting/stupid questions/comments about his beliefs at a time when people need to be fully focussed on NI's problems. 

Do you think the Earth is 6000 years old?

Edited by Mister Gee

3 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Do you think that earth is 6000 years old?

Err no it's 4.5 billion years old. Most of me was there... 

I may not agree with his views on the age of the earth but there seems to be more to him than that.  I hope there is, or NI is more stuffed than it is now. The articles about him imply there is. 

I'm very well aware that people with these beliefs tend to have other beliefs which I would find much harder to deal with but I have no idea one way or the other if he holds them. Until I know for certain then I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  If I lived there or I actually had to interact with him then I might feel differently but as neither apply I am content as long as he leaves his beliefs at the church gate.  

Of course, if he tries to change northern ireland into some sort of fundamentalist christian state then thats a different kettle of fish but I presume he wont. The DUP may be bonkers but as far as I know, they aren't generally suicidal. 

I'm looking forward to new DUP leadership it should be so much fun watching them trying their hardest to remove the Irish sea border. Despite some of the world's best politicians been ask to do the impossible task on what to do about the border do we put in the sea ? DUP  say no perhaps on Ireland itself then?  dam the Belfast Agreement gets in the way perhaps outer space is more to liking of the DUP? 

They are impossible.

Guest sibon
21 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The DUP get roughly the same share of the vote in Northern Ireland as the Labour Party currently get in the UK.  

Do you think the Labour Party are also impossible and so much fun watching?

There is roughly two percent between them.

Which was an enormous  winning margin in the EU referendum, according to you.

Mr Consistent.

Guest sibon
19 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I've never stated the winning margin in the EU referendum was enormous. However, it was a fair margin because over 50%  voted in support of one issue which was to leave the EU.  It would have been undemocratic to have ignored the wishes of the majority in a single issue vote and remain in the EU.  My point is the DUP have a big following of support in Northern Ireland meaning their views on many different issues are also supported by big proportion of the population living there.   

Yes, I'm consistent as well as being rational and fair minded.

I’m just pointing out the inconsistencies in your arithmetical meanderings.

Happy to help.