Painting Or Covering Exterior Glass

Hi everyone. 

I have a window at the bottom of my stairs but it's gone all misty and now I can't see through it. It's in a upc frame and I'm wanting to blank it out.

It's the bottom window next to the door so I'm more concerned with how it looks than looking through it so I was thinking of either spray painting it white to match the doors or using a plastic film with a sticky back. 

Will this work and if so can someone please recommend me the correct products to use. 

Thank you in advance 

Enjoy your evening everyone 🙏

Is it possible to cover with marine  ply and use quadrant to frame it and then paint,

The sticky plastic you mentioned is DC Fix? They sell it in B&Q, Wilko, B&M, all over really.

They used to do frosted effect ones last time I saw it, so you could still have the light coming through, but the pane will be obscured.

Think of it like applying a giant screen protector, clean the glass well and go slow to work out any air bubbles.

Or you could go and get new glass cut to size from the sheffield window centre factory. Not very exepensive and it would help keep the house warm. Once they get misted you also  lose heat.  We did several for our son when he moved house. With a little care and DIY knowledge they are easy. 

10 hours ago, gene said:

Or you could go and get new glass cut to size from the sheffield window centre factory. Not very exepensive and it would help keep the house warm. Once they get misted you also  lose heat.  We did several for our son when he moved house. With a little care and DIY knowledge they are easy. 

Cheers for that and for a perminent solution I'll get a quote but I live in a private rent so I'd need to ask the landlord 👍

10 hours ago, Thorpist said:

Is it possible to cover with marine  ply and use quadrant to frame it and then paint,

Hi cheers for your reply. I didn't think of using ply so big thanks for the extra option 🙏

10 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

The sticky plastic you mentioned is DC Fix? They sell it in B&Q, Wilko, B&M, all over really.

They used to do frosted effect ones last time I saw it, so you could still have the light coming through, but the pane will be obscured.

Think of it like applying a giant screen protector, clean the glass well and go slow to work out any air bubbles.

Brilliant. That sounds like the stuff I need. I'll jump online and have a look

Thank you for that 👍

The DADDY, there are 2 ways to fix this, one is to have a new double glazed unit made up. The other is to get a panel made up like you see in the bottom of UPVC doors which is insulating foam sandwiched by plastic. You will need to remove and then re install the beads holding the glass to do this which can be a bit tricky for the uninitiated but I don’t doubt there’ll be a YouTube tutorial out there. Happy glazing!

On 01/05/2021 at 21:28, Jim117 said:

The DADDY, there are 2 ways to fix this, one is to have a new double glazed unit made up. The other is to get a panel made up like you see in the bottom of UPVC doors which is insulating foam sandwiched by plastic. You will need to remove and then re install the beads holding the glass to do this which can be a bit tricky for the uninitiated but I don’t doubt there’ll be a YouTube tutorial out there. Happy glazing!

Thank you Jim. As its a private rent I'm limited to what I can do but my landlord is here Monday to do some work so I'll ask him if he can arrange it, I'll go halves with him or something. Failing that I'll be going with the sticky plastic idea. 

Thanks for your contributions everyone. 

You've been very helpful 🙏