23 minutes ago, minertone said:

I like this ,but not much imaginative content and very knowledgeable, how about this, you know how we can syphon petrol (legally of course)  from a petrol tank? well maybe the learned amongst you can comment on this idea- say we harness the extreme pressure in the deeper ocean to assist in syphoning sea water up into a raised holding tank, it would be continuously discharged back into the ocean via a  turbine . Nerdy idea ? 

Hmmm... :huh:

What if we replaced your "syphoning" idea by some sort of evaporation process...

... and your "raised holding tanks" by let's say... clouds? :idea:

I think you might just be onto something... :)

42 minutes ago, minertone said:

I like this ,but not much imaginative content and very knowledgeable, how about this, you know how we can syphon petrol (legally of course)  from a petrol tank? well maybe the learned amongst you can comment on this idea- say we harness the extreme pressure in the deeper ocean to assist in syphoning sea water up into a raised holding tank, it would be continuously discharged back into the ocean via a  turbine . Nerdy idea ? 

The holding tank can't be above the reservoir.  What you have described is perpetual motion.

You been reading Viz recently ?

13 hours ago, minertone said:

Here's an idea to help solve one or two problems, i.e.  environmental, lack  of employment opportunities, cost of gym membership and the desire to use 'phone while at work. ( Greta will like this.) What we do is install thousands of Roman style treadmills and use human power to generate electricity. If successful we could shut down a couple of coal fired power stations.

With no need for qualifications, many young people could get a job easily. The prospect of a four hour shift each day for a full wage should attract enough workers to man the machinery 24 hours a day for 7 days each week. Each machine would have a 'phone charger and access to fast broadband so the job would be as easy as taking a walk in the park.  We need these kind of suggestions if we are to get on top of Global warming etc so please suggest ideas which will help. You know, many surviving Octogenarians  lived for many years in houses with no electricity, gas, running water, car, phone  and the toilet was a midden in the garden. They got by but unfortunately had to burn coal for cooking and heat nevertheless they proved we could get by without so many creature comforts.

I've been suggesting this for years on various forums including this one, on the basis that as humans use electricity, then we should generate it ourselves instead of wrecking the planet. My idea was to replace unemployment benefit with this sort of community work scheme, paying people according to how much electricity they produced. It wouldn't be possible to produce all the electricity we need as electric bikes aren't very efficient and somebody would need to invent a bike or treadmill that produced a lot of electricity but it would stop benefit fraud and make people realise that adults should be expected to work for their money. It will never happen because so many people think human rights are more important than saving the planet.

2 hours ago, silverglade5 said:

Have a nice day Victor!

Thank you, whoever you are 😄

Couple of things, if you are paying them " a full days wage for 4 hours work", that makes the kWh price 100 s of times more than the current price.

And of course human produced electric is not carbon neutral

https://www.google.com/amp/s/protonsforbreakfast.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/a-carbon-neutral-gym/amp/

Edited by butlers

7 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

It was already done on an episode of black mirror.

OK - no idea what black Mirror is - TV show?

I have  heard of, and seen pictures of Greta. I've not been watching her on TV though. 

Shouldn't she be out and about planting saplings-leading by example, instead of ticking up all those air miles?

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

OK - no idea what black Mirror is - TV show?

Yes. Each episode is a new dystopian future. It started on Channel 4 but is now on Netflix.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

I have  heard of, and seen pictures of Greta. I've not been watching her on TV though. 

Shouldn't she be out and about planting saplings-leading by example, instead of ticking up all those air miles?

Perhaps if you had watched her on TV, or even just paid a bit more attention, you'd know that she only uses surface based transport.