Here's an idea to help solve one or two problems, i.e.  environmental, lack  of employment opportunities, cost of gym membership and the desire to use 'phone while at work. ( Greta will like this.) What we do is install thousands of Roman style treadmills and use human power to generate electricity. If successful we could shut down a couple of coal fired power stations.

With no need for qualifications, many young people could get a job easily. The prospect of a four hour shift each day for a full wage should attract enough workers to man the machinery 24 hours a day for 7 days each week. Each machine would have a 'phone charger and access to fast broadband so the job would be as easy as taking a walk in the park.  We need these kind of suggestions if we are to get on top of Global warming etc so please suggest ideas which will help. You know, many surviving Octogenarians  lived for many years in houses with no electricity, gas, running water, car, phone  and the toilet was a midden in the garden. They got by but unfortunately had to burn coal for cooking and heat nevertheless they proved we could get by without so many creature comforts.

Be tricky to shut a couple of coal stations down there's only 1 left

There's a trial of an electicity generating pavement in London.

Pavegen.

Good idea, @minertone. And ignore 'butlers', like all politicians, he's just having a go at you because he didn't  think of it first.

7 hours ago, butlers said:

Be tricky to shut a couple of coal stations down there's only 1 left

There's a trial of an electicity generating pavement in London.

Pavegen.

Blakey2.gif

11 hours ago, minertone said:

Here's an idea to help solve one or two problems, i.e.  environmental, lack  of employment opportunities, cost of gym membership and the desire to use 'phone while at work. ( Greta will like this.) What we do is install thousands of Roman style treadmills and use human power to generate electricity. If successful we could shut down a couple of coal fired power stations.

With no need for qualifications, many young people could get a job easily. The prospect of a four hour shift each day for a full wage should attract enough workers to man the machinery 24 hours a day for 7 days each week. Each machine would have a 'phone charger and access to fast broadband so the job would be as easy as taking a walk in the park.  We need these kind of suggestions if we are to get on top of Global warming etc so please suggest ideas which will help. You know, many surviving Octogenarians  lived for many years in houses with no electricity, gas, running water, car, phone  and the toilet was a midden in the garden. They got by but unfortunately had to burn coal for cooking and heat nevertheless they proved we could get by without so many creature comforts.

On a bike, pushing out 200 to 300 watts is reasonably hard work.

UK electricity demand in 2019 was 345000 gigawatt hours, so an average of 39GW throughout the year.

To meet that average would require 39000000000 watts divided by 300 watts per rider = 130 million riders, on average, at any one time.

To cover your four hour a day shift pattern, 780 million people just to meet UK demand

There's one reason why we don't already run slave-labour based camps for human powered electricity generation.

Your thread title needs changing from "awoke" to "time to go back to sleep"...

Edited by Bargepole23

Another load of total drivel, I think some people have been stuck inside too long. 

I don't know, but I would guess the original post was an attempt at humour that appears to be going way over some peoples heads - it made me smile, anyway.

11 minutes ago, geared said:

Another load of total drivel, I think some people have been stuck inside too long. 

Have a nice day Victor!

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I don't know, but I would guess the original post was an attempt at humour that appears to be going way over some peoples heads - it made me smile, anyway.

Not sure I agree that the OP was meant in jest, but either way it serves to illustrate just how enormous our energy consumption is, electricity, gas, petrol, food...just vast quantities.

1 minute ago, Bargepole23 said:

Not sure I agree that the OP was meant in jest, but either way it serves to illustrate just how enormous our energy consumption is, electricity, gas, petrol, food...just vast quantities.

OK, I could be wrong, but there again, I have an optimistic outlook and don't believe everything I read/hear at face value. Agree with your consumption comment, though.

37 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

It was already done on an episode of black mirror.

I like this ,but not much imaginative content and very knowledgeable, how about this, you know how we can syphon petrol (legally of course)  from a petrol tank? well maybe the learned amongst you can comment on this idea- say we harness the extreme pressure in the deeper ocean to assist in syphoning sea water up into a raised holding tank, it would be continuously discharged back into the ocean via a  turbine . Nerdy idea ?