Fawlty Towers 'Germans' Episode

Do you think UKTV and Britbox were right to pull the Fawlty Towers "Germans" episode due to complaints?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Fawlty Towers "Germans" episode pulled, right or wrong?

• Right
    • Wrong
    • PC gone mad! Even John Cleese himself said so!

Guest makapaka
6 hours ago, ab6262 said:

sorry that old chestnut has been used in just about every case since saville etc, any one who is abused as they accuse would immediately do something or tell someone, these are not young children they are adults. 

So what then - they’re lying?

what about the victims of Harvey Weinstein - they liars ?

How do you know what their circumstances were?

nice bit of victim blaming tho. 

7 hours ago, ab6262 said:

sorry that old chestnut has been used in just about every case since saville etc, any one who is abused as they accuse would immediately do something or tell someone, these are not young children they are adults. 

This is just not the case. Abuse victims keep quiet for many reasons. 

Fear of not being believed 

Guilt. 

Fear of retaliation from the abuser. 

That's just 3 off the top of my head and I'm sure there are many more. 

Guest makapaka
8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Guilt. 

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

So what then - they’re lying?

what about the victims of Harvey Weinstein - they liars ?

How do you know what their circumstances were?

nice bit of victim blaming tho. 

lets just say they embellish what really happens!

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Guilt. 

yes some victims do the normal young victims and that is sad, these so called professional victims are usually high profile and very canny, they manipulate whats happend.

4 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

yes some victims do the normal young victims and that is sad, these so called professional victims are usually high profile and very canny, they manipulate whats happend.

My bold. 

That's quite a claim. Can you back it up or is it more of a gut feeling you have? 

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, ab6262 said:

lets just say they embellish what really happens!

What a load of rubbish.

Any chance of getting back on topic? About Fawlty Towers? Or do I have to report most of the topic and get it closed? :D 

1 hour ago, Mr Allen said:

Any chance of getting back on topic? About Fawlty Towers? Or do I have to report most of the topic and get it closed? :D 

I believe the topic was some folks finding offense at a Farty Towels TV episode.

But some folks are apparently offended, even outraged, by free speech they don't agree with.

John Cleese was an equal opportunity offender. He made fun of the foibles of women, Scots, Irish, Germans, French, Spaniards, Americans, gays, tradespeople, military, and English snobs.

But his most devastating treatment was that of his own persona, a rude, shallow, tense, sneaky, shady, stuffy, character, and that of his wife, the nagging Sybil.

But alas, as someone said, this is no longer 1975.  Can't run the risk of offending anyone these days. 

Best burn the tapes. Lol

Guest sibon
4 hours ago, trastrick said:

Best burn the tapes. Lol

Or, just recognise that society has changed. That (most) humans have advanced. And that it’s not ok to use language that is quite clearly offensive to many.

A bit of judicious pruning and Fawlty Towers is fine. Cut out the racism and leave the comedy.

Unless, of course, you get off on  insulting people who are different to yourself.

29 minutes ago, sibon said:

Or, just recognise that society has changed. That (most) humans have advanced. And that it’s not ok to use language that is quite clearly offensive to many.

Agree'd. It's funny reading this thread, ironically, like a Till Death Us Do Part convention :hihi:

29 minutes ago, sibon said:

A bit of judicious pruning and Fawlty Towers is fine. Cut out the racism and leave the comedy.

Unless, of course, you get off on  insulting people who are different to yourself.

It could be argued that their commercial value is reduced if less people want to watch because they find them offensive, so some judicious pruning to cater to modern audiences is just an issue of return of investment, nothing more.

I haven't found any evidence that any significant number of people have ever complained, woke, left or otherwise... a nice trope, but not based in truth.

Personally, I think a disclaimer would suffice.

3 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Agree'd. It's funny reading this thread, ironically, like a Till Death Us Do Part convention :hihi:

It could be argued that their commercial value is reduced if less people want to watch because they find them offensive, so some judicious pruning to cater to modern audiences is just an issue of return of investment, nothing more.

I haven't found any evidence that any significant number of people have ever complained, woke, left or otherwise... a nice trope, but not based in truth.

Personally, I think a disclaimer would suffice.

I agree, however I should point out that apart from the Guardian reading left, and the "Woke" community, almost no one cares about the alleged "objectionable" content of some Fawlty Towers episodes including the one in question.

The obvious solution, as I stated 3 or 4 pages back, would be for the BBC to air it after 9 PM "Warts and all" when all the sensitive old dears are in bed :D 

I think you can guarantee if it was broadcast in original form it's the opposite end of the demographic who would be most offended.

Name any other programme that that word is used in.

Any  at all.