Online Scamming In South Yorkshire - Police Statement Released On Thursday. (Pol

Online Scamming in South Yorkshire - Police Statement Released on Thursday. (Poll)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been affected by online scamming/hacking?

• Yes
    • No

Have you ever been affected by online scamming or hacking in Sheffield?

South Yorkshire Police released a warning statement on the subject on Thursday.

If so, did you lose money as a result of the scam?

I had the same thought, "Wallace"😃

99.99999% of all online scams can be combatted by simply paying attention and stopping to think for a second.

Whilst no-one deserves to be scammed I hold no sympathy to those that fall for it. Most of the stories you see out there of victims, the scam is so glaringly obvious you'd need to be an idiot to fall for it. 

This includes all the 'giveaways', 'shopping coupons' et al on social media. Of course that supermarket is going to give away 10s of thousands in stock because of a pen mark or 10s of thousands in products via large value vouchers. 

Simply stopping for a moment and checking stops these scams in their tracks. 

That said if you're still unsure, I can teach you. For just £25 per session. Send me a PM and I'll give you my Cayman Island bank details......

people fall for scams for 2 reasons , they are scared of doing something wrong usually the older generation, or they are plain greedy and think they are going to get more than is normal, if it looks too good to be true it is.

send any nigerian government lost fundslottery winnings on to me lol

Edited by ab6262

Guest busdriver1

Scam or stupidity tax?

Has anyone else observed the adverts that are appearing while on this thread? 

While some scams you'd have to be pretty stupid to fall for, remember that your confused elderly relative well may be the one to fall for this. Also, it's it is possible for you to get a call from someone alleging to be your bank reporting a fraudulent transaction, and when (being rightly suspicious) you hang up, call your bank baxk on their real number, and they confirm there's a problem, you may well believe them. Most people won't be aware that in the UK a call is only terminated by the caller hanging up; the person answering the call can put their phone down, pick up again, and still be connected to the caller (who can send a fake dialling tone down the line).

3 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

While some scams you'd have to be pretty stupid to fall for, remember that your confused elderly relative well may be the one to fall for this. Also, it's it is possible for you to get a call from someone alleging to be your bank reporting a fraudulent transaction, and when (being rightly suspicious) you hang up, call your bank baxk on their real number, and they confirm there's a problem, you may well believe them. Most people won't be aware that in the UK a call is only terminated by the caller hanging up; the person answering the call can put their phone down, pick up again, and still be connected to the caller (who can send a fake dialling tone down the line).

Since 2014 if you hang up and leave it more than 10secs then it disconnects both ends., previously it was about 3 minutes.  There were proposals to make it instant but I can't find any info as to whether it was acted upon.

Last November I almost got scammed buying an Xbox Series X on eBay, I paid £675 in good faith on my Paypal account, the seller gave me the loot back as he wanted me to do a BACS transfer for the payment! No chance.

Fortunately about a month and half ago I got one legit from CEX, but I thought that was a scam at first because the Royal Mail tracking number didn't work, so I emailed CEX and they said it's a DPD tracking number, so I posted the number after Googling the DPD website, and it worked and I got an Xbox about a week later.