Jump to content


Sheffield Local Elections - Party Info

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I thought it might be helpful to put info from each party running in the local election in one place - I'll update this post as and when I get the info back from each party. 

 

GREEN 

They responded with the below links:

See https://sheffieldgreenparty.org.uk/2021/04/09/council-election-campaign-candidate-information/ which includes links to leaflets in wards where they are delivering them. 
 
 
All their candidates have also completed surveys for this excellent new initiative https://whoismycouncillor.co.uk/
 
CONSERVATIVE
Responded with the link to their website:
Link to their website: https://www.sheffieldconservatives.org/ 
 
LABOUR 
Awaiting response
 
LIB DEM
Awaiting response
Link to their website: https://www.shefflibdems.org.uk/ 
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you are waiting, note that the Elections Office now advise that most postal votes are due to arrive today for people who signed up before early April.  Others should follow by around by early next week.

 

Most people will have 3 votes:

 

Election 1 of your 3 ward councillors for a 3 year term (reduced by 1 year due to the May 2020 election postponement).

Police and Crime Commissioner

Council governance referendum - see https://www.itsoursheffield.co.uk/

 

7500  households will have a 4th vote to adopt a neighbourhood plan in the BBEST area http://bbest.org.uk/

 

There are also some parish by-elections in North Sheffield. 

 

There is still time to apply for a proxy vote while emergency proxies are available up to 5pm on polling day. See http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/.../your.../voting/vote-by-proxy

 

I'm the election Agent for all Green Party candidates standing in Sheffield. We are supporting a vote to change to committees in the governance referendum and have delivered 73,500 leaflets for It's Our City with our leaflets. We also recommend the adoption of the BBEST neighbourhood plan resulting form 7 years work by the excellent, dedicated BBEST team.

Edited by Eamonn Ward
posted before completion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Green Party" to paraphrase the TV.

 

Is  Political Advertising pretending to be Public Information- legal?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

"That was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Green Party" to paraphrase the TV.

 

Is  Political Advertising pretending to be Public Information- legal?

 

Post #2 accurately summarised the position. Other than its final paragraph of vote-for-us, it was fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always I post with my full name and clearly indicate my party links.  This site has a tradition of respectful political debate at council election time. Jeffrey I think you were around in the days of Red Robbo - the sadly missed Labour councillor John Robson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2021 at 10:22, SFBeca said:

Hi all,

 

I thought it might be helpful to put info from each party running in the local election in one place - I'll update this post as and when I get the info back from each party. 

 

GREEN 

They responded with the below links:

See https://sheffieldgreenparty.org.uk/2021/04/09/council-election-campaign-candidate-information/ which includes links to leaflets in wards where they are delivering them. 
 
 
All their candidates have also completed surveys for this excellent new initiative https://whoismycouncillor.co.uk/
 

Thanks for mentioning us @SFBeca :-) This is exactly what we made the site for as we know it can be tricky to find the info in one place.

 

Just a note to say that we believe we've gathered all publicly available information about candidates from across these sites for each of their 'profiles'.  We've also had over a third of the candidates complete the full survey, from eight out of the ten parties.

 

You can search for candidates by postcode, ward and party: https://whoismycouncillor.co.uk/

 

We're also taking ideas from voters for potential questions in future surveys: https://whoismycouncillor.co.uk/contact

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It would be interesting to see how many councillors/candidates read or contribute to Sheffield Forum.

 

The 'who is my Councillor' (link above) is interesting, and certainly a start in obtaining more information about candidates. Good on the two candidates (out of 5) who have taken the time and trouble to complete the survey. I hope the others also complete it before long. Not doing so IMO speaks volumes.

 

Well done to whoever set it up.

Edited by Anna B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be voting Labour next week.

 

The local Labour bloke for Sheffield Central (which includes s3) seems like a nice enough chap, and he responds to my emails.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2021 at 10:22, SFBeca said:

Hi all,

 

I thought it might be helpful to put info from each party running in the local election in one place - I'll update this post as and when I get the info back from each party. 

 

GREEN 

They responded with the below links:

See https://sheffieldgreenparty.org.uk/2021/04/09/council-election-campaign-candidate-information/ which includes links to leaflets in wards where they are delivering them. 
 
 
All their candidates have also completed surveys for this excellent new initiative https://whoismycouncillor.co.uk/
 
CONSERVATIVE
Responded with the link to their website:
Link to their website: https://www.sheffieldconservatives.org/ 
 
LABOUR 
Awaiting response
 
LIB DEM
Awaiting response
Link to their website: https://www.shefflibdems.org.uk/ 
 
 
 

I am not sure of what to make of this to be honest. You have the details of the parties web site so what more are you expecting from them? the Tories and Greens get a tick because they have responded with the link whereas Labour and Lib Dems are seemingly criticised for not providing the link to the website you already have.

 

One thing that has not made it through my door is any info about the Police  commissioner candidates and their policies - these may well be tucked somewhere on the party sites but quite frankly these should not be party political at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bigal1 said:

 

One thing that has not made it through my door is any info about the Police  commissioner candidates and their policies - these may well be tucked somewhere on the party sites but quite frankly these should not be party political at all

Here in Stannington we have included a small amount of space dedicated to the PCC on our latest leaflet. We will be receiving a proportion of the costs of this leaflet from our candidate but he doesn't have a big budget so is going to be limited as to what he can produce.

 

Despite people's perceptions local parties don't get any money from the central Labour Party and everything we spend has to be raised by local members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, max said:

Here in Stannington we have included a small amount of space dedicated to the PCC on our latest leaflet. We will be receiving a proportion of the costs of this leaflet from our candidate but he doesn't have a big budget so is going to be limited as to what he can produce.

 

Despite people's perceptions local parties don't get any money from the central Labour Party and everything we spend has to be raised by local members.

want detail not the usual political platitudes if you can not be bothered to give me the information I need to make an informed decision then you ain't going to get my vote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

I am not sure of what to make of this to be honest. You have the details of the parties web site so what more are you expecting from them? the Tories and Greens get a tick because they have responded with the link whereas Labour and Lib Dems are seemingly criticised for not providing the link to the website you already have.

 

One thing that has not made it through my door is any info about the Police  commissioner candidates and their policies - these may well be tucked somewhere on the party sites but quite frankly these should not be party political at all

I haven't criticised, I've asked if the parties want to provide info to put it all in a useful space? Just trying to be helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.