How Will People Charge Electric Cars If They Dont Have A Driveway

16 hours ago, geared said:

Does solve the problem of trailing cables everywhere.

Question is who will be responsible for the upkeep of the units?

I assume the council.

4 hours ago, FoxLady said:

And after we've all plugged into street lamps/private drives/regulated car parks/fuel stations and/or anything else that's dreamed up in the intervening 10/15 years and it's time to say goodbye to your vehicle, we may face another headache...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56574779

interesting reading that

4 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

I assume the council.

Could get quite costly, which raises the question is it a good a proper use of public money.

Edited by geared

24 minutes ago, geared said:

Could get quite costly, which raises the question is it a good a proper use of public money.

Proper use of public money is phrase that does at lot of heavy lifting at the moment. But it depends on which Council. I might be wrong, but perhaps Zinger549 is in that there London where it could well be GLA or tfl who are charged (geddit!) with installing ev charging points- I've seen a few when I've been in London. 

Could be a private company doing it, they'll make money in the fullness of time.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Proper use of public money is phrase that does at lot of heavy lifting at the moment. But it depends on which Council. I might be wrong, but perhaps Zinger549 is in that there London where it could well be GLA or tfl who are charged (geddit!) with installing ev charging points- I've seen a few when I've been in London. 

Could be a private company doing it, they'll make money in the fullness of time.

There's money to be made in the correct charging locations, decent money, but back streets, residential areas in smaller cities, thats pretty certain to be a net loss.

A city wide network would have pretty big maintenance costs, I just don't see the council or the public putting up with it.

Not everyone is a car driver, they never will be.  They will have the loudest voices against.

Thought I remembered something like this from a report on Look North last year but this is a trial in Nottingham. 

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/what-is-electric-car-wireless-charging-wevc-and-how-does-it-work-/

Induction loops but the cost to put this infrastructure in place would require a massive investment. 

16 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

My local council is Redbridge. Don't know who installs/repairs them just seen a few.

1 hour ago, Zinger549 said:

My local council is Redbridge. Don't know who installs/repairs them just seen a few.

With alot of the current public EV infrastructure installs it's all or part funded by the Government, but on goign costs aren't covered.

So it's all good when it's nice and new, but a few years down the line someone's gotta decide if they want to pay to fix it or lob it away.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1449607/Carbon-Battle-Bus-electric-coach-tourists-Eden-Project-Cornwall-charging

https://cornishstuff.com/2021/06/14/electric-coach-stranded-in-cornwall/

The Planet Mark `Zero Carbon Tour` electric coach, travelling from London to Cornwall, managed a grand distance of 263 miles before discovering that the charging infrastructure in Cornwall is as good as non existent.

A part of says they should have researched this beforehand..

800km on a 10 minute charge with batteries that need replacing half as often as now.

Not quite there yet but a guy who co-invented the technology that makes Li-ion batteries practical[1] has developed a way of fully charging them in 10 mins (as opposed to Tesla's best of 70 mins) in a way that makes the batteries last twice as long too.

Even with current EV car ranges you'd likely need a loo break by the time you need to recharge anyway so 10 mins for recharging means you'll barely notice the time.

[1] i.e. He has a lot of credibility when it comes to battery technology.

we have enough charging stations as we are at the moment,i also believe new ones are being built at a fast rate,so we will be okay,most cars go 300 miles,so i dont think it will be a big problem,i think we will be okay by the time most are electric.