How Will People Charge Electric Cars If They Dont Have A Driveway

over the week end , i realised that there are *hundreds* of parking spaces, all a shortish walk around my neighbourhood - and almost all of them are empty most of the time.

Pubs. There are 5 pubs around me, and they've all got sizeable car parks, that are totally empty, 5 nights of the week. An enterprising pub owner would put car-chargers in their car park.  

5 pubs x 5 nights a week x 30 parking spaces = 750 cars charged per week.

if i had no other choice, i'd happily pay upwards of £10/night for a charging parking space. That's an additional income of £1500/week/pub!

This will definitely happen.

in fact, a quick google suggests it already *is* happening...

I use an app called zap map. This app shows you all the charge points in a definable area. I have noticed that there are a number of private residencies on there. Most ask for donations or small amounts in payment.

I can def see that people will be doing more of this in the future. 

I charge my car about every 7 to 10 days. So obviously my charger is dormant most of the time.  Would I rent it out ? 

yes if it was regular folks that I got to know and trust. I would not mind others parking on my drive and using charge point. As long as they covered my costs. 
am I alone or would others follow suit ?

There might need to be some change in legislation and certainly a charger that people can pay to use.

Essentially you're re-selling electricity, which I don't know if Joe public can just do from their domestic supply.

It's a good idea.  You can only run a 7kWh charger off a domestic single-phase supply, so you would be having people parking for a long time at your house.

One of the issues people are finding is you need a card/app/account with all these different charging networks, which can just be another level of faff.

7 hours ago, geared said:

There might need to be some change in legislation and certainly a charger that people can pay to use.

Essentially you're re-selling electricity, which I don't know if Joe public can just do from their domestic supply.

It's a good idea.  You can only run a 7kWh charger off a domestic single-phase supply, so you would be having people parking for a long time at your house.

One of the issues people are finding is you need a card/app/account with all these different charging networks, which can just be another level of faff.

The network needs to be reliable than it is. I had a look at zap map - there are more 50kwh chargers coming on stream.  The new hyundai ionique 5 can charge quicker than that too. If I lived in a terrace house or a flat I'd use public chargers but I'd probably lease a vehicle rather than buy one on the off chance I'd knacker the batteries. That said I haven't seen much evidence that would happen.

Interesting point re reselling. The national trust also do it at hardwick hall. They have a 7kw charger attached to the cafeteria. 

you are right mine is a 7kw. 

This is also the same as Tesco’s and m&s. Maybe I could charge over stay parking charges ‘> 3hrs’ ( only joking).  

Seriously though I wonder if there is anything in electric supplier contracts on reselling electrons ? 

I do agree 100% on the comment about cards and apps - it really is annoying. In part down to the many providers.  I think that’s where Tesla have it nailed. Their network is far superior and far cheaper !! Not withstanding purchase/hire costs of Tesla’s !

The other week I went to Grantham and stopped at the services just off the a1. There was a whole bank of Tesla rapid chargers. I have never seen so many Tesla cars in one place. There were 2 ecotricty ones. 
I did hear that ecotricty were upgrading their network - so hopefully things will improve.  But I think it’s going to be need a massive investment to rival Tesla. 

I have also noted Sheffield have had a few more rapid chargers installed at the bottom of eccy road and other car parks in the city centre (Charles street ??)

I guess things will get better and I suspect quickly, I’m also hoping that  cards will standardise.  

After nearly 2 years of bev ownership I do not have any regrets about being an earlyish adopter.  I’ve had no range anxiety issues and no charging issues. I have had to plan a little more on longer journeys but meh - it’s not that hard.

11 hours ago, srtaylo0 said:

over the week end , i realised that there are *hundreds* of parking spaces, all a shortish walk around my neighbourhood - and almost all of them are empty most of the time.

Pubs. There are 5 pubs around me, and they've all got sizeable car parks, that are totally empty, 5 nights of the week. An enterprising pub owner would put car-chargers in their car park.  

5 pubs x 5 nights a week x 30 parking spaces = 750 cars charged per week.

if i had no other choice, i'd happily pay upwards of £10/night for a charging parking space. That's an additional income of £1500/week/pub!

This will definitely happen.

in fact, a quick google suggests it already *is* happening...

I use an app called zap map. This app shows you all the charge points in a definable area. I have noticed that there are a number of private residencies on there. Most ask for donations or small amounts in payment.

I can def see that people will be doing more of this in the future. 

I charge my car about every 7 to 10 days. So obviously my charger is dormant most of the time.  Would I rent it out ? 

yes if it was regular folks that I got to know and trust. I would not mind others parking on my drive and using charge point. As long as they covered my costs. 
am I alone or would others follow suit ?

Missed this one. Zap map shows a few pubs have alread got chargers installed.

As an interesting follow up. I noticed today that there are 2 sites at meadowhall with a combined 56 charge points that are free to use. I also know that there are free to use charge points at tesco supermarkets. 

im not sure why they are free but I’m guessing that it’s a way for the shops to entice customers. Getting back to the original question. I wonder if more shops will do this in the future ? 

perhaps another nail in the coffin for the city centre where you have to pay for a charge !

5 hours ago, srtaylo0 said:

As an interesting follow up. I noticed today that there are 2 sites at meadowhall with a combined 56 charge points that are free to use. I also know that there are free to use charge points at tesco supermarkets. 

im not sure why they are free but I’m guessing that it’s a way for the shops to entice customers. Getting back to the original question. I wonder if more shops will do this in the future ? 

perhaps another nail in the coffin for the city centre where you have to pay for a charge !

But are they "free to use" or "free"? There's a big difference!

Does it mean that anyone can just roll up and use the machine, or that there's (pardon the pun) no charge for the electricity?

Either way, looking at the vehicle purchase prices, it'll not be bothering me for a good while!

I have used the ones at tesco. For free - free electrons - free miles. I was only there for an hour so did not get a full battery but free 😀

You need a pod point app but that’s free too 😀

so once you have the free app then yeah just rock and fill ya battery.

Reading comments on zap map the ones at Meadowhall are free too as in plug in - away you go. 

So I guess if you are organised then maybe it’s possible to get free fuel for  a bev car.
three hours in Meadowhall each week - I wouldn’t but some do !

That goes a fair way to off setting initial purchase cost 😀

not sure I’m that organised though. 

Edited by srtaylo0

7 hours ago, srtaylo0 said:

Well seeing as Meadowhall boasts 12,000 parking spaces   https://www.meadowhall.co.uk/facilities#car-parking

that means about 0.5% (1 in 200) are available for charging.

Edited by Longcol

Anyone know when the new what looks like a park and charge down ecclesfield will be opening. ?  

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

Well seeing as Meadowhall boasts 12,000 parking spaces   https://www.meadowhall.co.uk/facilities#car-parking

that means about 0.5% (1 in 200) are available for charging.

I think that’s a really good point - that the infrastructure has to grow as the uptake rises. 
I do agree that for now charging a bev in Sheffield is not that hard as there are outlets, moving forward though I think there is going to be issues unless infra grows. 

I suspect it will grow and in my bev ownership I have seen it grow ! Sheffield city centre, Tesco’s,  Meadowhall, crystal peaks etc all these have seen charging infra being installed in recent times. 

maybe I’m being too optimistic for this forum 😀