How Will People Charge Electric Cars If They Dont Have A Driveway

Guest busdriver1
3 minutes ago, butlers said:

RAC reckon on cost per mile of hydrogen is currently 4 times the cost of electric.

Did not know the biggest hydrogen producing plant in Europe(?) is in Sheffield.

Compared to battery power, hydrogen is very much in its infancy. After a short while I am sure there will be progress in that field. The big leveller could be the residual value of battery cars as it is anticipated by many that the current high depreciation of them will continue leaving them with a VERY low value at approx 10 years when they need new batteries.

29 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Compared to battery power, hydrogen is very much in its infancy. After a short while I am sure there will be progress in that field. The big leveller could be the residual value of battery cars as it is anticipated by many that the current high depreciation of them will continue leaving them with a VERY low value at approx 10 years when they need new batteries.

As opposed to ICE cars that have huge value after 10 years.

6 hours ago, butlers said:

RAC reckon on cost per mile of hydrogen is currently 4 times the cost of electric.

The cost of electric varies quite alot tho.  You pay a much higher price using the fast chargers than you might at home, some are upwards of 50p/kWh.

This becomes abit of a problem when some of the large electric SUV's manage only slightly over 2 miles per kWh. 

Guest busdriver1
17 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

As opposed to ICE cars that have huge value after 10 years.

Missing the point. The value being referred to is a direct comparison between the 2. The depreciation of mainly the lower end electric vehicles is of concern to many. It is felt that at 10 years old many smaller electric cars may actually have zero value. The larger ones seem to be holding up at least as well as a diesel or petrol but given that the purchase price is so much higher and depreciation is given in percentages coupled with uncertainty with battery life it will be interesting to see where values go.

19 hours ago, butlers said:

Where's that then?

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Missing the point. The value being referred to is a direct comparison between the 2. The depreciation of mainly the lower end electric vehicles is of concern to many. It is felt that at 10 years old many smaller electric cars may actually have zero value. The larger ones seem to be holding up at least as well as a diesel or petrol but given that the purchase price is so much higher and depreciation is given in percentages coupled with uncertainty with battery life it will be interesting to see where values go.

Can't speak for others but Tesla batteries are designed to last for 300k - 500k miles.

And given the cost of "filling up" compared with diesel (have you seen the price of it lately??) It might - hopefully even out a bit.

over the week end , i realised that there are *hundreds* of parking spaces, all a shortish walk around my neighbourhood - and almost all of them are empty most of the time.

Pubs. There are 5 pubs around me, and they've all got sizeable car parks, that are totally empty, 5 nights of the week. An enterprising pub owner would put car-chargers in their car park.  

5 pubs x 5 nights a week x 30 parking spaces = 750 cars charged per week.

if i had no other choice, i'd happily pay upwards of £10/night for a charging parking space. That's an additional income of £1500/week/pub!

This will definitely happen.

in fact, a quick google suggests it already *is* happening...

On 18/06/2021 at 16:33, busdriver1 said:

Compared to battery power, hydrogen is very much in its infancy. 

I think it got left by the wayside when LPG came in.  Top Gear have reviewed hydrogen a few years, this goes back to 2003:

And again in 2009 with the Honda Clarity:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/watch-topgear-test-fcx-clarity-call-it-future-of-motoring/

Guest busdriver1
6 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I think it got left by the wayside when LPG came in.  Top Gear have reviewed hydrogen a few years, this goes back to 2003:

And again in 2009 with the Honda Clarity:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/watch-topgear-test-fcx-clarity-call-it-future-of-motoring/

Far from being left behind, in the PCV industry there is at least 2 manufacturers offering them and one certainly now offers them only. 

LPG in larger vehicles has happened but in small numbers with little in the way of re-orders.

There was a story in the Yorkshire Post at the weekend of someone who took a MINI E to Tesco to charge up. This took longer than the permitted three hours in the car park and he was charged  £70 for overstaying. It seems supermarket charging points are only for topping up rather than full charges.