How Will People Charge Electric Cars If They Dont Have A Driveway

That does say: 

The cables are not permanently left in the channel – only when charging the vehicle. 

Thats probably the more unsafe option.

If you need to lift this thing up and run a cable thought it to charge, eventually either the cover will get bent from all the movement and not fit or it'll be left half on.

Anyone with mobility or vision problems will trip over it and hurt themselves.

It'd need to be firmly fixed to be safe, but then you end up with an electrical socket on the floor, which will get full of water and crap.

Edited by geared

22 hours ago, butlers said:

Electric planes I am.very doubtful off.

unless they come equipped with extraordinarily long flexes, to plug 'em in...

8 hours ago, geared said:

That does say: 

Thats probably the more unsafe option.

If you need to lift this thing up and run a cable thought it to charge, eventually either the cover will get bent from all the movement and not fit or it'll be left half on.

Anyone with mobility or vision problems will trip over it and hurt themselves.

It'd need to be firmly fixed to be safe, but then you end up with an electrical socket on the floor, which will get full of water and crap.

It's legal in some local authorities, not in others.

With the proper cable covers it shoulnt be a problem, big problem if its just cables lying about. I did read some places are looking at utilising lamp posts and charging from there.

13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It's legal in some local authorities, not in others.

With the proper cable covers it shoulnt be a problem, big problem if its just cables lying about. I did read some places are looking at utilising lamp posts and charging from there.

Some dogs could be in for a shock.....................

I've heard that, in the same way that rubbing sticks together can create fire, if you rub a magnet on your jumper it will charge an electric car remotely if you hold down all the buttons on the car transponder.

My brother in law is the Head of R&D for SEAT in Spain & he says there are virtually no charging points in Spain for that very reason 

That was just one example of a pavement channel.

There are other alternatives where they don't have a cover at all, and the opening on top is the width of the cable.  No trip hazard.

People get upset about not being able to park outside their house already. Pavement channels for car charging will just increase that 100 fold.

Edited by altus

Be interesting to see if a new crime of 'Stealing charging cables' becomes a thing in years to come.

3 hours ago, altus said:

People get upset about not being able to park outside their house already. Pavement channels for car charging will just increase that 100 fold.

How thick is the 7kW charging cable the cars use?  Is there a limit to their length?  Cos obviously no-one is going to bother doing this for the normal 3-pin socket chargers.

I would think you would install a box just inside your boundary .

SWA  size dependent on run length

The  charging cable would only need to be 6 mm I would think

Anything raised above footway level is a hazard and an incumbrance for those who use/push wheelchairs, prams, trolleys etc. This is magnified on slopes. 

We have spent millions on making our footways accessible, putting "speed bumps" across them every few metres is not the answer. 

Edited by Annie Bynnol

i have friends who live in Sweden.

during winter, their cars need to be kept warm overnight - they're plugged in. And small electrical heaters keep the engine oil and coolant from freezing.

they pay a small fee to park their cars in a car park, which has power to all the spaces. 

these car parks are of course a short walk away, around 5-10 minutes.

is it unthinkable that we could do something similar ? - leave our cars overnight in a dedicated car park, *NOT* immediately outside our houses?