How Will People Charge Electric Cars If They Dont Have A Driveway

Guest busdriver1

If we stopped this headlong rush into electric cars and waited for the more practical fuel cell cars there would not be an issue. Already buses are heading that way.

2 hours ago, master jedi said:

I would like to ask the good people of Sheffield the following question.

I would like to buy an electric car but sadly i do not have a driveway on my council bought house so i cannot charge it on my property. 

I dont think i will be allowed to trail a cable over a public walkway because that would be a trip hazzard.

I  rent a council garage though and i was wondering if the council will be fitting them in the garages  that they rent to people or grant permission for one to be fitted.

Also will the council be providing charge points in council estate parking areas or again grant permission for them to be put there.

I ask these questions as it is not going to be long now before we say goodbuy to petrol and diesel vehicles and im sure there are a lot of people in Sheffield who prefer driving a vehicle instead of walking , cycling and catching a bus.  And without creating a two tier society with the people who have driveways and the ones who dont.

I know there will be some people who will say it will keep you fit to walk cycle ect , but i keep fit by running weight lifting and boxing. I just do not want the choice being taken away from me not to be able to drive a electric car just because i dont have my own driveway to charge it on.  

Thanks for reading :)    

You could invest in a hybrid fuel (petrol / diesel) electric car where you charge the car up & it starts out as an electric but as that runs down the combustion engine cuts in, so you can also simply run the vehicle on petrol / diesel until you get to an appropriate charging point. 

However, a Which report has found out that a very large percentage of car makers' claims for the distances travelled before their vehicles switch from electric to the combustion engine, appear to be misleading, so car owners aren't making the savings in petrol / diesel costs they believe. 

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/03/plug-in-hybrid-cars-use-more-fuel-than-official-figures-claim/

@ECCOnoob - well thought out arguments which I totally agree with - despite our 'disagreement' elsewhere.👍

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

To answer the short-term context of your question; with great difficulty. I don't know the exact rules in the UK/Sheffield right now, but you are right that trailing a cable over the pavement is at best a hazard that pedestrians - not least those with mobility issues - could do without, and at worst is illegal. Hopefully some people on this forum can give you some advice from their own experience but I would encourage you to speak directly with the Council. It would be a good exercise in getting the council to clarify their position on this if more people ask the question...

To answer the long-term context of your question; I don't see why people think the refueling of electric cars en mass will be much different to the refueling of petrol & diesel cars?

Very, very few people fill their cars up with petrol & diesel at home. As more electric cars hit our streets over the coming decades, you will see electric fueling stations pop up, just as we have petrol stations. In fact, it's likely that existing petrol stations will themselves adapt in to providing drivers with the fuels they need for their cars. You charge your electric car up at the station, drive around, and before you run out of juice you make sure you visit the station again. Just as you do now with petrol.

There are already electric charging points appearing in both Sheffield and other cities. By 2030, trailing a cable from your house to your car every night will probably not be necessary, driveway or not.

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

If we stopped this headlong rush into electric cars and waited for the more practical fuel cell cars there would not be an issue. Already buses are heading that way.

BD1 hit the nail on the head. Viable HFC vehicle technology has existed since 2007. The issue was of fuel production but there have been vast improvements in this field.

1 hour ago, butlers said:

A quick look and approx 30 % charge at work  and 10%. at public chargers.

There's also a push to convert streetside lamps to charging points

So we'll see street fights erupt as everyone tries to park next to the streetlamp to charge..

Edited by Resident

Interesting posts, and one hit on an important point -the fact that more electricity will need to be produced before we move towards electric cars.  As this has not happened yet, we are seeing the start of a problem in this area.  I've had 3 power outages over the last year, 2 of which has burglar alarms in my area blaring out in the small hours of the morning. 

We are not listening to the warnings of the Electric people about consumption, and the Government's idea that the rollout of so-called "smart" meters will somehow "help" us to stop using power has been proved to be totally false.  Soon, unless we somehow generate more power, we'll have to choose between being warm or charge up our cars.

I dare say we will follow Australia and California with massive battery storage farms to smooth the supply.

Think we lead the world in wind energy with Denmark hot on our heels and I think the new interconnector is now finished.

There's also a interconnector to Norway underway.

Funny enough the National Grid put out a statement about a month back.

Even if everyone switch to EV tomorrow there's enough capacity in the grid.

Since the highest UK peak demand 2002 it's declined by 16 percent

Well I have just been told by a freind of mine it looks like we are going to have a two tier society and im totally disgusted.

He has told me that councils in England  are not interested in helping people who live on council estates in this matter as it is going to be to expencive for them and they want to reduce the amount of traffic on the roads and by not instaling a reasonable amount of charging points on estates is a perfect way of going about it as they are pushing for more people to walk , cycle or use the bus. So if this is true , then peoples choice of wanting to use an electric car who would like to charge it at home but cant will be scupperd. So is this a crafty devious stealth way that councils are going to do this  Hmmmm ?  

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Interesting posts, and one hit on an important point -the fact that more electricity will need to be produced before we move towards electric cars.  As this has not happened yet, we are seeing the start of a problem in this area.  I've had 3 power outages over the last year, 2 of which has burglar alarms in my area blaring out in the small hours of the morning. 

We are not listening to the warnings of the Electric people about consumption, and the Government's idea that the rollout of so-called "smart" meters will somehow "help" us to stop using power has been proved to be totally false.  Soon, unless we somehow generate more power, we'll have to choose between being warm or charge up our cars.

Except the "Electric people", or National Grid as they are more commonly known, have stated there is enough generating capacity, and that by managing charging outside of the domestic peak period, the grid will cope.

So, no need to choose between heating and driving. You can always choose scaremongering though.

Very strange where all this generating capacity has come from all of a sudden. I remember vividly that back in my working days (admittedly a while back) when we had more generating power (i.e. power stations, be they coal, gas or nuclear), that during the winter quarter we were forced, by financial constraints, to virtually stop production for hours at a time so the grid could cope with the extra domestic demand.

We only have enough generating capacity if most people charge their cars overnight using a slow charge (so that the car charges slowly from midnight to 6am say rather than quickly from midnight to 1am). There is currently no mechanism to make this happen automatically.

Edited by dave_the_m
typo