Neighbouring Tabloid - Everything That Our Own Sheffield Star Are Not.

Working and majority living outside of Sheffield for quite some time now, obviously I have equal interest in both here and back home.

When I'm not working and have a bit of down time, I frequently have a browse on my phone at the local news, as well as back home in my native Sheffield.

The difference in media and tabloid is staggering to be honest. Our very own Sheffield Star lacks in so many ways, compared to that over the hills in Greater Manchester.

The Manchester Evening news offering is plentiful and constantly up to date. If something is going on within the region, you can expect it to be reported on, with live updates all the way along.

Not only do they have live news, but they also have local features, sports and a variety of interest topics. All in all, they have far more content that the minimalist offering back home.

The MEN app is completely free of charge, without the annoying, weekly, three article limit. They don't bog it down with tons of advertisement and banner ads either. This is journalism as journalism should be surely? 

What happened to The Sheffield Star? Once a twice daily newspaper....

I understand that the online world and social media have changed the way that we all source local news these days. But our neighbours still run a fantastic tabloid....why can't we?

How much is the cover price? So far can't find it online.

On 22/04/2021 at 12:25, cmonkes said:

Working and majority living outside of Sheffield for quite some time now, obviously I have equal interest in both here and back home.

When I'm not working and have a bit of down time, I frequently have a browse on my phone at the local news, as well as back home in my native Sheffield.

The difference in media and tabloid is staggering to be honest. Our very own Sheffield Star lacks in so many ways, compared to that over the hills in Greater Manchester.

The Manchester Evening news offering is plentiful and constantly up to date. If something is going on within the region, you can expect it to be reported on, with live updates all the way along.

Not only do they have live news, but they also have local features, sports and a variety of interest topics. All in all, they have far more content that the minimalist offering back home.

The MEN app is completely free of charge, without the annoying, weekly, three article limit. They don't bog it down with tons of advertisement and banner ads either. This is journalism as journalism should be surely? 

What happened to The Sheffield Star? Once a twice daily newspaper....

I understand that the online world and social media have changed the way that we all source local news these days. But our neighbours still run a fantastic tabloid....why can't we?

Greater Manchester has a population of 2.8 million -  five times the size of Sheffield, twice the size of South Yorkshire.

But not everyone in Greater Manchester reads it.  All the other towns in the GM area have their own papers with more local news. Those are more akin to The Star.

21 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

But not everyone in Greater Manchester reads it.  All the other towns in the GM area have their own papers with more local news. Those are more akin to The Star.

...and most of those are also garbage.

On 22/04/2021 at 13:53, carosio said:

Last time I bought a copy, which was at least 2 years ago it was a Pound a day.

Waste of money IMO, especially when 95% of the "news" can be found freely online,. such as on 'ere.

On 22/04/2021 at 13:53, carosio said:

70p

If you’ve got a Library Card you can read the MEN free via Pressreader- and it says 95p on the top right hand corner of the front page.