Trust The 'News'?

8 hours ago, altus said:

If you'd been arguing that the report did a poor job of helping readers understand Mr Baker's comments by providing some context I'd have agreed with you. For all we know he may have mentioned economic issues but the report omitted that.

Instead, you have been arguing that the report was inaccurate and Mr Baker's final comment was disingenuous. You haven't yet demonstrated either. If you still want to argue those points I suggest you try doing so. Just repeating that the report doesn't mention something that you have agreed is essential to any rural telecoms provision doesn't do so.

The report, so far as I understand it, makes no reference whatsoever to economic issues - that 'issue' was introduced by yourself, and you have not yet proved that the comment 'Mr. Bakers final line reads: 'Patchy mobile signals mean it may be some time before full-fibre broadband is rolled out to all homes, Mr Baker said.' is correct.  As I have had to say more than once, on a purely technical level that is a load of rubbish - technically, the two are entirely different - one is delivered over the radio spectrum, the other via optical cable.

I totally agree that both have challenges over delivery, especially in remote locations, but even there, they are not the same for both technologies, and to infer that they are, as that statement does, is not helpful.

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

The report, so far as I understand it, makes no reference whatsoever to economic issues - that 'issue' was introduced by yourself, and you have not yet proved that the comment 'Mr. Bakers final line reads: 'Patchy mobile signals mean it may be some time before full-fibre broadband is rolled out to all homes, Mr Baker said.' is correct.  As I have had to say more than once, on a purely technical level that is a load of rubbish - technically, the two are entirely different - one is delivered over the radio spectrum, the other via optical cable.

I totally agree that both have challenges over delivery, especially in remote locations, but even there, they are not the same for both technologies, and to infer that they are, as that statement does, is not helpful.

I don't have to prove anything. I'm merely casting doubt on your claim that he was only talking about technical issues when making that statement - the lack of context in the article makes it impossible to tell one way or the other. Unless you can prove he was only talking about that, it's reasonable to provide some context by mention something that you admit is massively important to the provision of rural telecoms.

I'll leave this thread to you now. There's no point of repeating this ad nauseam.