Trust The 'News'?

17 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I don't think so - after reading this 'report' on the BBC 'Business' section: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56831212

Inaccurate, sloppy and downright misleading, I would call it - by the 'most trusted' news source - or so they say.

In what way?

Which bits are inaccurate or misleading?

Seems to me the BBC are just reporting the results of a survey...

The final sentence is a good starting point - what is the connection between FTTP and 3G/4G/5G?

EDIT FOR CLARITY: The two technologies have no relationship - at all!

Edited by RollingJ
Clarification added.

The BBC, like all terrestrial channels, is there to give the establishment  view and ensure that political debate in particular is kept within bounds. (If things are not going well under the Tories then vote Labour or vice versa.) It's only recently, due to rising public awareness, that they have stopped treating parties like the Greens like a bunch of loonies. They were quite happy to give air time to the likes of UKIP because if they did get any sort of power, they would not upset the status quo whereas the Greens certainly would. Like everything else, one has to get news from independent sources around the world to get a balanced view of what's really happening rather than rely on what six people are saying on the streets of High Wycombe in some vox pop. 

I'm now totally confused @Shreddie - just what has that got to do with a supposed 'Business' report, please?

Especially when said report is, to put it politely, inaccurate.

Edited by RollingJ

54 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

The final sentence is a good starting point - what is the connection between FTTP and 3G/4G/5G?

Perhaps if you actually read the article you will note that last sentence which you seem to be raising such objections to is a direct quote from the representative of uSwitch.

Like all good news services the BBC journalists are reporting exactly what their interviewee said. If you have a problem with that take it up with  Uswitch rather than bellyaching about the BBC.

@ECCOnoob I did read the full story - my point was that I assumed the BBC was supposed to be an accurate source - that lack of editorial competency makes me doubt it.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

They are connected in the context of the article, in that they all can be used to make non-landline based calls.

But the existence of one is not reliant upon the other!

19 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

But the existence of one is not reliant upon the other!

Whether a landline remains an "essential" service, the context of the sentence,  is reliant on whether you can reliably receive one or the other.

I quote from that article the sentence referenced 'Patchy mobile signals mean it may be some time before full-fibre broadband is rolled out to all homes, Mr Baker said.'

No relationship.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

I'm seeing this as the final sentence:

Patchy mobile signals mean it may be some time before full-fibre broadband is rolled out to all homes, Mr Baker said.

I'm all for having a go at the BBC if there's some political miscarriage, or maybe taking issue with how this rubbish story about football seems to be the lead but this is nitpicking at best.

Edited by alchresearch