Chauvin Guilty Of George Floyd's Murder

It was muder in the third degree.

He might only get 12years.

Knowing the ludicrous sentencing in US presumably if it was premeditated he might have got Life plus 20/30 extra  for aggravating cause.

Be interesting what the sentence ends up being.

Doubtless an appeal will be made

1 hour ago, Resident said:

I guess we'll just ignore the fact that GF was shouting this long before he was restrained on the floor and the fact that someone who can't breath could not possibly continually shout for that long. 

At most it was unlawful killing by negligence. 

Yes . He was saying he could not breathe as they tried to put him in the car .

And the myotonic seizure he had through lack of oxygen was just him trying to run away, no doubt. You know what 'they' are like.

4 hours ago, butlers said:

I would argue the most dangerous precedent would be officers are above the law.

And remember that officer was happy to do that in full view of the public, what if there was no film.He would nigh on certain been aquitted 

3 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

But he wasn't acquitted and there was film. 

Yes, luckily there was footage, which is the only reason this went to court. Usually, of course, there is no footage, so safe to assume that in the US many black people have/are/will be similarly killed by police and it won't go to court.

I don't get the point of saying   Floyd George was saying could not breathe as they got him out of the car..what does this prove exactly ?

The police response was to  put a choke hold on him while restrained until  he was unresponsive  and continue for minutes more until he was dead 

Edited by butlers

Turns out Minneapolis police have rendered 66 people unconscious in last few years

21 hours ago, Delbow said:

Yes, 2nd and 3rd degree murder, and manslaughter.

Why do you think that? I've been following the trial and, although it's obviously not the same as being there and hearing all the evidence, the evidence from the prosecution witnesses seemed pretty compelling, while the defence arguments were sometimes bizarre in their 'whataboutery'

Out of interest where/ how have you been following the trial ?  I have been following some of it on one of the  most biased ,one sided  station Ive  seen 

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Out of interest where/ how have you been following the trial ?  I have been following some of it on one of the  most biased ,one sided  station Ive  seen 

The Guardian (not my favourite news outlet tbh) summarised the prosecution and defence arguments every day in a fairly balanced way, with video clips of the key testimony, or at least what they deemed the key testimony.

9 minutes ago, Delbow said:

The Guardian (not my favourite news outlet tbh) summarised the prosecution and defence arguments every day in a fairly balanced way, with video clips of the key testimony, or at least what they deemed the key testimony.

Ah ok . I followed it on Court TV .

Minneapolis paid out $3million in compensation just a few years earlier  after an arrestee was left in prone position with officers restraining him with weight on his back.

Positional asphyxiation,  they pledged to train officers to avoid doing this

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Ah ok . I followed it on Court TV .

Haven't heard of that, what's the bias?