Help Choosing College

Hi, I have recieved several offers from some colleges. and I don't really know anyone who went any of the colleges/six forms I've gotten offers from

These are the following colleges

Chapeltown Academy

Sheffield City College

Longely Park Sixfourm

I am wanting to study Computer Science History and Law

Please tell me your experiences

Edited by GlobalAreaNet
Update for clarity

8 minutes ago, GlobalAreaNet said:

Hi, I have recieved several offers from some colleges. and I don't really know anyone who went any of the colleges/six forms I've gotten offers from

These are the following colleges

Chapeltown Academy

Sheffield City College

Longely Park Sixfourm

Please tell me your experiences

Have you looked on the reviews of present and past students on each of these college's Facebook pages? Might have more luck there.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Have you looked on the reviews of present and past students on each of these college's Facebook pages? Might have more luck there.

I tried, especially for chapel town but theres practically nothing on them

38 minutes ago, GlobalAreaNet said:

I tried, especially for chapel town but theres practically nothing on them

Ah okay. Plenty of reviews about Sheffield City College.

What are you planning to study?

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Ah okay. Plenty of reviews about Sheffield City College.

What are you planning to study?

oh, I must have forgot to include it, Im wanting to study Computer Science, History and Law

Your first call should be to check if all those colleges offer those courses.  If so, apply to them all.  You should get invited to Open Days to discuss things and be shown round - maybe also be interviewed - by all means tell them you are looking at all your options.  OFSTED publish results of College reviews, including results - that may also be worth looking at.  Assuming you will still be living at home, checkout travel from home to each college - you'll be doing a lot of travelling to and from college!

Following on from Thirsty,  I'm not sure Chap Academy is particularly well served by public transport if you are going to be travelling by bus etc. Might be worth investigating travel links

There's some very sound advice for you already on here. I'd only add that these three colleges are very different, and you will need to visit to get a sense of "is this the place I want to spend two or three years?" The Open Event programme will have finished, but all of them should welcome a request to visit if it fits within Coronavirus restrictions.

The transport to & from is a big issue. All the Sheffield College campuses and Longley are on main bus/tram routes; Chapeltown is on an industrial estate (Hydra Business Park) - a bit more of a challenge by public transport ( and of course depending you live in/around Sheffield).  Some institutions do (or used to) lay on special bus services from some districts, but I don't know whether this still happens.  I'd always advise making the journey and then asking yourself "How would I feel doing this on a cold and rainy day in winter?"

I hope this helps; and all the very best with your application process.

What would you do following your A levels? Supposing you wanted to study XXX at a University, contact the University to see if they have any opinions on the teaching at A level by your chosen 3.

56 minutes ago, Hopman said:

What would you do following your A levels? Supposing you wanted to study XXX at a University, contact the University to see if they have any opinions on the teaching at A level by your chosen 3.

Good point - the same applies for potential employers/career paths. 

Even if the 3 you are intending to follow are your "best" subjects, they may advise that they may not lead well to your chosen career path. 

And if you're contacting potential employers and they give advice, drop them a letter of thanks and when you apply there for employment, remind them of the previous contact (including the thanks).

Guest busdriver1

So what happens if you pick one college based on their performance over the last couple of years only to find when you get there the good teachers have been poached by the poor colleges in an attempt to improve their rankings. 

It happens......