Sign in to follow this  

Permissions On Nas (Modify Files On It From Linux)

I have some files on a NAS, that I'm trying to modify from my laptop running Linux Mint. Files are media (audio) files, and the program I'm running on Linux is an mp3 tag editor called EasyTag. It looks like I'm modifying the tags (i.e. writing / changing the contents of the mp3 files), and seems to save just fine, however, when I reload, the tags haven't been changed.

I'm guessing this is because the program (EasyTag) isn't able to modify files on my NAS because of permissions; is that likely to be true, or is there some other possible cause?

Any suggestions as to a fix?

Cheers,

You need to check the credentials you are using to connect to the NAS and it's permissions

Also, what file system are the NAS shares formatted with?

If you are using Samba then you need to start with the the smb.conf file. 

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

You need to check the credentials you are using to connect to the NAS and it's permissions

Also, what file system are the NAS shares formatted with?

If you are using Samba then you need to start with the the smb.conf file. 

Yep, pretty much the above. If it is Samba (very likely if the NAS is running one of the Microsoft File Systems) than you need to ensure you have r+w rights from your laptop. Been ages since I did this stuff though, so make sure to check the most recent documentation available for both Mint/Ubuntu and Samba. 

2 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

If it is Samba (very likely if the NAS is running one of the Microsoft File Systems) 

not necessarily, i used samba with a linux remote storage server and an ext3 or 4 filesystem and a mint client no MS file systems in sight. 

1 minute ago, andyofborg said:

not necessarily, i used samba with a linux remote storage server and an ext3 or 4 filesystem and a mint client no MS file systems in sight. 

My point was that if the NAS runs MS, it is likely to be Samba, not that it can't be Samba if it uses another FS ;)

Thanks everyone.

It's a (quite old now) Synology NAS; Windows file service (samba) enabled.

Where do I find smb.conf?

/etc/samba/smb.conf but I highly recommend checking documentation before you do anything next!