Putin's Wargame - Ukraine

18 hours ago, butlers said:

Easy to say from.this distance.

Would you have preferred several hundred thousand dead allied troops and civilians if Japan was invaded?

I have seen the comment after reading about the Japanese army unit 731 ,we should have dropped more

You are correct of course. Plain common sense from a military point of view.

But my point is that today there is no will in today's complacent society to end military conflicts in such a way. Even one village destroyed in collateral damage brings out the outrage, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth by the World's "enlightened" mainstream media. Even one targeted elimination of a major world terrorist is considered barbaric. Our armies are not allowed to win at all costs.

So democracy will continue to suffer death by a thousand cuts, from totalitarians, who don't share our delicate sensitivities.

"Do you want to start WW3 over THAT?" is today's "logic"

And history repeats.

There's more democracies in the world now than ever.

We are more connected and more aware of wars price.

What have the 500,000 deaths in Iraq and the 241,000 in Afghanistan achieved exactly?

Anyhow ,Putin's boys and toys end thief wargames and go home tomorrow.

No one injured

The purpose of war games is a show of force designed to intimidate  would be enemies.

The Russian, Chinese, Iranian, North Korean war games are designed to intimidate the current democracies such as Eastern Europe, Ukraine, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Israel and their allies.

Not so the U.S. 

This should be kept in mind by the folks who like to paint a moral equivalency between the superpowers, like they did in the Cold War!

The U.S. lives peacefully with its immediate neighbours Canada and Mexico,  and has not, or does not seek to expand its territory.

Probably the only superpower in history to do so.

Edited by trastrick

4 hours ago, trastrick said:

The purpose of war games is a show of force designed to intimidate  would be enemies.

I agree and that's why NATO puts on a show of force and do exactly the same. The EU on the other hand can't do that so go for sanctions designed to hurt the economy of would be enemies instead.

The Russian, Chinese, Iranian, North Korean war games are designed to intimidate the current democracies such as Eastern Europe, Ukraine, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Israel and their allies.

Not so the U.S. 

This should be kept in mind by the folks who like to paint a moral equivalency between the superpowers, like they did in the Cold War!

The U.S. lives peacefully with its immediate neighbours Canada and Mexico,  and has not, or does not seek to expand its territory.

Probably the only superpower in history to do so.

Me bold.. Not taking into account the past US/Mexican war or the failed Cuba invasion. They may not have tried recently to expand their immediate territory but have certainly tried to change the politics of some of their near outside countries by covert activity and CIA involvement. Probably the worse thing to happen for the USA was the downfall of Communism in Russia as that took the sting out of their anti communist rants about them.

But just to keep their war generals and the armaments makers happy they went to war with Iraq instead.

Edited by apelike

34 minutes ago, apelike said:

I agree and that's why NATO puts on a show of force and do exactly the same. The EU on the other hand can't do that so go for sanctions designed to hurt the economy of would be enemies instead.

Me bold.. Not taking into account the past US/Mexican war or the failed Cuba invasion. They may not have tried recently to expand their immediate territory but have certainly tried to change the politics of some of their near outside countries by covert activity and CIA involvement. Probably the worse thing to happen for the USA was the downfall of Communism in Russia as that took the sting out of their anti communist rants about them.

But just to keep their war generals and the armaments makers happy they went to war with Iraq instead.

I once read a statistic that America has been at war in one form or another for over 90% of its entire history. I'll try and find it and post a link. 

17 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I once read a statistic that America has been at war in one form or another for over 90% of its entire history. I'll try and find it and post a link. 

Maybe I can help.

America has been at continuous war against a series of tyrants since its inception.

King George 111, Spanish racial elites in Mexico, The German Kaiser in WW1, Nazis and Japanese Imperialists in WW2, Communists and their proxies around the World, and militant Islamic terrorists today.

There are those who believe that's a bad thing, but many democracies owe their freedom to the U.S.

(As well as the freedom to disagree with the politics of the current governments, as we do here!  Lol)

Edited by trastrick

On 25/04/2021 at 09:18, trastrick said:

"...King George 111,...".

Great squad, it only took a hundred and eleven King Georges to burn down Washington and the Presidents' House.

The Americans still re-enact their surrender by painting it white. 

And it is still fondly remembered by some here, apparently. lol

A battle lost, but who won that war of independence?

8 hours ago, trastrick said:

And it is still fondly remembered by some here, apparently. lol

A battle lost, but who won that war of independence?

The French aristocrat Marquis de La Fayette, Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier leading  a motivated French army and the slave James Armistead Lafayette won the battles for the feeble American army who were fighting a enfeebled British army who were far more concerned about events in Europe.

The absence of a significant proportion of the French army and navy in America enabled the defeat of France, helped by the returning British army and navy.

The eventual return of now 'republican' inspired army officers led to French Revolution and de-stabilized our main enemy, France

Economically we benefited hugely at American expense as we had an effective monopoly of  imports and exports cemented again as America failed to break British control.

America was far more profitable and less troublesome than any "colony" and we didn't pay a penny for their Government, legislature, civil service, army and navy. They paid for their own defence, civil and territorial wars.  

So who won?

We did. They did. The future Canada did.

Who lost?

France.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Do not cross the line -Putin . All show of force to remind the West that Russia is still their and watching.

Edited by GabrielC

1 hour ago, GabrielC said:

Do not cross the line -Putin . All show of force to remind the West that Russian is still their and watching.

Unfortunately this is not the mind set of the current U.S. Administration.

Democrat President "Biden vows US will work with Russia on climate" April 24

Former Democrat Presidential Candidate Tulsi Gabbard, "Are we prepared to see our loved ones burn alive in a nuclear holocaust in a war with Russia over Ukraine? If not, cut out the macho saber rattling and deescalate before it's too late",  April 16

It seems like the Ukraine is expendable (again). Chine is making noises again about Taiwan, and Iran is as again threatening Israel.

In the meantime Biden is drawing no lines in the sand, because he knows there is no will to enforce them.

History repeats.