Asda Petrol

Just been to Asda petrol station at Manor Top . . . No kiosk so payment is by card only . . . . You do NOT get a receipt even if you ask for one . . . What you DO get is a £1.00 surcharge for using the system meaning that for £15.00 of fuel indicated you get £15.00 on the pump but only £14.00 worth of fuel . No staff . . . No receipts only a small sign stating ''contact a colleague . . . Obviously an image at the pump is essential . . . CAVEAT EMPTOR . . . 

Perhaps complain to SCC's Consumer Protection officers?

Or to Asda Head Office, better still.

1 hour ago, primemover70 said:

Just been to Asda petrol station at Manor Top . . . No kiosk so payment is by card only . . . . You do NOT get a receipt even if you ask for one . . . What you DO get is a £1.00 surcharge for using the system meaning that for £15.00 of fuel indicated you get £15.00 on the pump but only £14.00 worth of fuel . No staff . . . No receipts only a small sign stating ''contact a colleague . . . Obviously an image at the pump is essential . . . CAVEAT EMPTOR . . . 

Hi Primemover, I think and hope I can put your mind at rest with regard to the £1.00 surcharge. If my experience with Tesco garage is anything to go by, this £1.00 is just to test your bank account  for validity, after a few days this pending deduction will disappear from your account to be replaced by the £15.00 you will have received in your tank. 

Edited by silverglade5
amendment to text

Yep, agree with silverglade5 if that's what you're seeing in your bank account. It'll show as £1 until they take the full amount. You're not being short changed. If you have a camera/smart phone just take a photo of the display when you've filled up. Tesco is always staffed but I still pay at the pump as it's quicker and just take a photo if it's not giving receipts.

5 hours ago, silverglade5 said:

Hi Primemover, I think and hope I can put your mind at rest with regard to the £1.00 surcharge. If my experience with Tesco garage is anything to go by, this £1.00 is just to test your bank account  for validity, after a few days this pending deduction will disappear from your account to be replaced by the £15.00 you will have received in your tank. 

👆👆👆

Yup I agree with this too. 

I noticed the quid transaction after a fill up at a morrisons petrol station but I didn't think to look in my pending transactions so I rang morrisons who explained it all to me. Apparently its a common practice and has been for a while but I'd never noticed it until then. 

Edited by The_DADDY

14 hours ago, primemover70 said:

. . What you DO get is a £1.00 surcharge for using the system meaning that for £15.00 of fuel indicated you get £15.00 on the pump but only £14.00 worth of fuel  

No you don't. You get £15 worth of fuel. 

14 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Perhaps complain to SCC's Consumer Protection officers?

Really, come on. This is a standard authorisation check that self service petrol pumps have done since they came into being.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Another classic case of self-service being no service, a point I have made in another thread on IT taking us down a road we don't want to go down: cashless society, computer generated letters, faceless utility companies, online only communication.  Not the society I want to belong to but forced into being part of!!!!  I simply won't use self service tills or petrol pumps until a time when that's all there is, and it will come!

40 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

Another classic case of self-service being no service

Well not really, the OP pumped £15 of fuel and got £15 of fuel in his car, it not our fault he has totally misunderstood how pre-authorisation works.

Yes, very really!  Not only did he have to fill the car himself, there was no-one there to take his money, only a machine that he could only use a card with.  Very much no service in my book!  As for 'pre-authorisation' what nonsense; payment in cash is all the authorisation anyone needs!

3 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

Yes, very really!  Not only did he have to fill the car himself, there was no-one there to take his money, only a machine that he could only use a card with.  Very much no service in my book!  As for 'pre-authorisation' what nonsense; payment in cash is all the authorisation anyone needs!

I can't help but feel cash is on the way out. 

14 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I can't help but feel cash is on the way out. 

So is customer service!