Anyone Know What Cutlery Is Actually Made In Sheffield?

I know a couple of the "designer" cutlery folks are still manufacturing wonderful cutlery in Sheffield - we even have a Sheffield made Morton set for special occasions

but I wonder if anyone has seen any "everyday" cutlery that was actually made in Sheffield? Its really hard to tell shopping online - and my Sheffield born missus wont have anything else in the house

theres normally lots of nice sets at the local auctions in sheffield,just look at there sites,good prices as well

hoping to spend a little less than the £500-£1000+ you need at the usual Sheffield sources, that's a lot for everyday cutlery

Wondering if there is anywhere that still mass produces locally or maybe that is just too expensive these days- didnt think about auction source, thanks for that

If I find anything will post here for others - if there is any affordable Sheffield made cutlery there may be other Sheffield folks interested

FWIW this is on Ebay, its an unused canteen of Sheffield cutlery in a mahogany box, near a 100 years old and much cheaper than a modern equivalent. Not dishwasher safe alas,  1920s Viners Sheffield cutlery - unused

I bought some every day cutlery about ten years ago, the knives are labelled Richardson, Sheffield, and the forks Amefa - both companies are owned by the same people.   Good quality stuff!  Purchased from T K Maxx so may be worth examining the stock in there 🙂

Be careful when buying made in Sheffield cutlery , most if not all is actually made elsewhere and only "finished" in Sheffield to be able to use the made in Sheffield logo !

theres a auction at sheffield auction gallery thursday at heeley go online theres cutlery at good prices,you can ask for a free condition report as well,i dont know if this helps.

I purchased mine from the Sheffield shop a couple of years back. Reasonably priced as they were seconds, but you can’t tell. Has the legend “Made in Sheffield” clearly marked.

Carr’s make excellent cutlery as do British Silverware, Wrights too BUT BEWARE some of the cheap end of goods sold by other so called manufacturers are just cheap foreign imports, they are unpacked roller marked and repacked and sold on. David Mellor in Hathersage import at least 95 % of their cutlery, mainly stainless steel, e.p.n.s. Ready for silver plating are also imported, roller marked, plated , finished and sold, they have Chinese and Japanese knives for sale in Sheffield Shop, which they don’t like anyone to know, they are also sold in the Millennium Gallery, who ignore the fact. The black fibre handled kitchen knives are very good but they are imported from China Electrolytically etched and repacked, the large kitchen knives were bought for under ten dollars and sold at over sixty pounds, they don’t have a large enough workforce to produce the amount of cutlery they sell, so buyer beware.

Edited by lazarus

I recently purchased a couple of carving knives, one is marked up Made in Sheffield, the other is marked Sheffield Made, is there a difference?

On 07/05/2021 at 13:49, zaci said:

I recently purchased a couple of carving knives, one is marked up Made in Sheffield, the other is marked Sheffield Made, is there a difference?

If they don’t have a makers name they are no doubt imported and etched with your query names.