New European Football Super League

Be very interested in what sort of financial under-the-table shenanigans went on to make it go away. 

What a shame.

I'm sure they only had the football pyramid's best intentions at heart and I was so looking forward to Real Madrid and Juventus bringing back Bury into League 1.

Discussion seems to have extended now as to why six clubs are so disproportionately rich and powerful  as to feel they can behave as they do. This all started with the Premier League in 1992 and to my mind largely destroyed fair competition. The top division is largely a procession of six clubs who are almost always going to win everything. The two European competitions this season have 4 English clubs out of 8 semi-finalists. 

English fans who have no geographical, historical or familial ties to a club  supporting one of the big six are part of the problem. Obviously you support who you want but when I speak to somebody who  tells me they're à Liverpool fan or Man Utd fan i can't take them seriously

Well the Real Madrid president still thinks it's a great idea and thinks it's still happening. Should a fun league with just real, Milan and a couple of French sides 😂

Even though the English sides have backed out of this they'll already be looking for another way to get richer than everyone else.

17 hours ago, sibon said:

Looks like the ESL might just have saved football after all. It’s taken just 24 hours for supporter power to force some of the richest men in the world into a humiliating climb down.

I’d still like to see the six English clubs chucked out of the Premier League, but sadly, Carlsberg sponsor Liverpool.

Carlsberg haven't sponsored Liverpool FC since 2010 when the FA stopped teams being sponsored by alcohol related companies. LFC's sponsor since then has been Standard Chartered Bank.

Guest sibon
49 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Carlsberg haven't sponsored Liverpool FC since 2010 when the FA stopped teams being sponsored by alcohol related companies. LFC's sponsor since then has been Standard Chartered Bank.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

I should have said Official Partner, but it didn’t fit the sentence.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/corporate/partners

3 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Fair enough, but T20/IPL might be a closer comparison - traditional game potentially ruined in the interests of moving into a mass market that doesn't particularly know or care about the traditions.  Even so, there are some big differences.

Firstly, by no stretch of anybody's imagination can football be said to be short of money, so that it's easier to represent the ESL move as being motivated purely by greed.  Cricket's financial situation was arguably not as dire as it was painted (e.g. , according to Wikipedia, Michael Vaughan was able to afford houses in Baslow, Barbados and Venezuela without, as far as I'm aware, any significant involvement in the IPL*), but it was obviously not in the same league as football.  [This raises a whole raft of questions about what is sport for?  To what extent is it 'wealth creation'?]

Secondly, as we've already seen, the 'traditional' fans have much more clout in football.  There are a lot more of them, and they're a lot less docile.  The main market for football may be TV viewers around the world, but the 'traditional' domestic market is still significant.

Thirdly, the non-traditional mass market has already been tapped in football.  The typical customer is already pretty happy with their Champions' League and their EPL 'soccer', and it's doubtful how much more of an attraction the Super League would have been.  Whereas I think the IPL taps into a genuinely new market of young middle class Indian people who are in some ways rejecting the mores of the fuddy duddy older generation.

The list could probably go on.

*Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

My bold. 

Traditional fans no longer exist apparently.  They're now 'Legacy fans' or 'Service users'. 

I think we all know that at some stage the Champions League format will will eventually disappear to be replaced by a European League but run by UEFA in the next 10 to 15 years.  I believe the new Champions League format is going t run from 2024 for 10 years, according to reports. 

I've always thought a European League be made up of say the top 2 clubs, when first set up, from the major European Premier leagues, (England, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Belgium & Holland) with two teams  from the lesser European nations, making up a league of say 20 to 24.  Promotion & relegation would be from the countries' premier leagues, with say each nation's lower finishing club in the European league, being relegated back to their premier league, to be replaced by that seasons champions. 

Of course, this would focus most if not all the tv money / advertising revenue on the European league & the Premiership would be as the Championship is now, attracting tv money but a lot less of it. 

Of course with reduced income & clubs more reliant on old fashioned gate receipts, clubs might start to look at having wage caps to ensure survival? 

Edited by Baron99

13 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Discussion seems to have extended now as to why six clubs are so disproportionately rich and powerful  as to feel they can behave as they do. This all started with the Premier League in 1992 and to my mind largely destroyed fair competition. The top division is largely a procession of six clubs who are almost always going to win everything. The two European competitions this season have 4 English clubs out of 8 semi-finalists. 

English fans who have no geographical, historical or familial ties to a club  supporting one of the big six are part of the problem. Obviously you support who you want but when I speak to somebody who  tells me they're à Liverpool fan or Man Utd fan i can't take them seriously

I dont buy that at all. Top 6 in 1992, firstpermier league season.

Man utd

Villa

Norwich

Blackburn

Qpr

Liverpool

Wednesday 7th believe it or not, then spurs, man City arsenal and Chelsea.

2002/03 season

Man utd

Arsenal

Newcastle

Chelsea

Liverpool 

Blackburn

If I was a Blackburn supporter reading your hypothesis, I'd be feeling short changed. There haven't been many clubs winning the league, but if anyone had suggested in 1993 that man City would be a dominant force in English football, you'd be laughed at then.

49 clubs have played in the Premier league. Most have pinched a point or 3 against would-be champions and influenced the league.

Shame it looks like its not going ahead.

It would have been the best thing to happen to english football since winning the world cup,the self annointed big 6,who arent even in the top 6 of english football and dont look like changing that, and have brought us the premier league and greed,higher prices for everything from shirts to ticket prices to transfer fees and wages at every level of english football.

They  force through policy and have way too much influence over league decisions and have turned english football into an F1 like procession rather than the competitive struggle it was  always meant to be, football shouldnt be about financial muscle and altering every rule to make sure your the best and allow you to steal from the poor for a pittance,when the lesser clubs put all the effort and time into development of players.

I really hope they go through with their plan and leave english football to put right their wrongs,theyve ruined the game in every shape and form for the rest of the countrys clubs,hopefully the TV watchers will vote the same way and after the novelty wears off they end up playing at Ferrybridge United infront of 200 people on a cold saturday in january.

Edited by staninoodle

At present, there are calls from most quarters for punishments for the big 6 who signed up for this - including being thrown out of the PL, relegation, serious points deduction, barring from European competitions for a few years and so on.  I hope the authorities should strike while the iron is hot and go for one or more of these. 

Imagine all 6 relegated to the Championship, or lower and having to fight for promotion while matches involving them provide much needed revenue for the smaller clubs for at least the 3 years some would be down there.  Or gradually losing their best players who want to play in Europe while their banned from there for a few years (or they can't overcome points deductions for a few years).  Seeing the likes of Everton, Villa, C Palace and Southampton play in Europe.

What I think will happen is..... nothing.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

At present, there are calls from most quarters for punishments for the big 6 who signed up for this - including being thrown out of the PL, relegation, serious points deduction, barring from European competitions for a few years and so on.  I hope the authorities should strike while the iron is hot and go for one or more of these. 

Imagine all 6 relegated to the Championship, or lower and having to fight for promotion while matches involving them provide much needed revenue for the smaller clubs for at least the 3 years some would be down there.  Or gradually losing their best players who want to play in Europe while their banned from there for a few years (or they can't overcome points deductions for a few years).  Seeing the likes of Everton, Villa, C Palace and Southampton play in Europe.

What I think will happen is..... nothing.

Hmmm... :huh:

... we could start by not refering to them as "the big 6".

Maybe if we start calling them "the greedy 6" it might have more effect on their egos? :)

11 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... we could start by not refering to them as "the big 6".

Maybe if we start calling them "the greedy 6" it might have more effect on their egos? :)

Also, how do Spurs qualify as being in the 'big 6'? Meritocracy seems dead and buried, given that Spurs never win owt (I am aware that I may be eating my words on Sunday, but it seems unlikely)