Blonk Street

Talking about bus lanes I got a letter last week asking me to pay a fine for driving through one at Hillsborough in November 2019,can't remember it at all,when I first moved to this neck of the woods I unintentionally did it and paid the fines right away,the other I just don't remember.

On 18/04/2021 at 07:46, dutch said:

There is a small round blue sign that says bus taxi cycle only. 

Easy to miss and they really should put a sign before blonk st warning beforehand.

There’s a warning sign before the roundabout and the there is the regulatory sign at the actual restriction ( blue rounded on yellow background. You can see them both from this viewpoint: https://goo.gl/maps/ks4YcaHGST2ErJmZ7

The roundabout gives drivers an escape route.

I believe there’s sufficient signing to allow enforcement, but the final arbiters of that will be the adjudicators who determine appeals against penalties.

If you mean that there should be an advance warning sign on Exchange St before the turn into Blonk St, there’s already a large direction sign with a lot of information on it. I’d think it might be confusing if advance warning of the bus gate was added. 

The green road surface immediately after the roundabout marked 'Bus Gate' in large lettering should surely give a clue to all but the most myopic of drivers too.

Instead of a little patch of green , why not do the full length of the bus lane ? I would have thought it would be easier to spot 

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Instead of a little patch of green , why not do the full length of the bus lane ? I would have thought it would be easier to spot 

I agree totally !!!!....

I'd have hoped that most car and van drivers had at least adequate  eyesight.  It's obvious enough to me both from the Google image posted by Planner1 and from personal observations in the area.

The litt

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Because the rest of the road is not a "Bus Lane".

Only that 10m long big green patch + thick white median strip + big white writing is restricted- that is why it is referred to as a "Bus Gate". This does do the job of controlling the traffic accessing  Blonk Street but allows rest of the lane up to Wicker to be unrestricted.

There are shorter bus lanes in Sheffield which are not coloured at all.

It worries me that smaller black and white Zebra Crossings road makings must be invisible to some, 

Pretty sure you can no longer turn right  from Lady's Bridge/Wicker onto Blonk St due to changes made througout 2020. Unfortunately the imagery online is of 2019 vintage. 

I'm certain there are now signs from, LB at the former junction, stating straight ahead & the road layout has been made to make right turns difficult but not impossible, presumably for emergency vehicles. 

This however does not stop people from making the prohibited turn, especially drivers with extra id plates on the back ....

10 hours ago, Martin C said:

I'd have hoped that most car and van drivers had at least adequate  eyesight.  It's obvious enough to me both from the Google image posted by Planner1 and from personal observations in the area.

Quite. One can't help but think that if they're missing all the existing signs and road markings that they are either driving too fast or not paying proper attention while driving.

It's incredible the amount of signage that many careless drivers expect the council to foot the bill for, when really all that needs to happen is for them to slow down and use their eyes.

Don't know why they didn't just put a mini-roundabout at the Lady's Bridge/Wicker/Blonk Street crossroads. Would've been a lot safer and easier for everyone.

41 minutes ago, Resident said:

Pretty sure you can no longer turn right  from Lady's Bridge/Wicker onto Blonk St due to changes made througout 2020. Unfortunately the imagery online is of 2019 vintage. 

I'm certain there are now signs from, LB at the former junction, stating straight ahead & the road layout has been made to make right turns difficult but not impossible, presumably for emergency vehicles. 

This however does not stop people from making the prohibited turn, especially drivers with extra id plates on the back ....

Post #2 makes it clear that restricted has to turn right from Lady's Bridge onto Blonk Street-that is now the through route. You cannot go from Nursery Street to Blonk Street-its possible but prohibited.

3 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Post #2 makes it clear that restricted has to turn right from Lady's Bridge onto Blonk Street-that is now the through route. You cannot go from Nursery Street to Blonk Street-its possible but prohibited.

A similar thing happens from Bank Street onto Castle Street down by Snig Hill. Usually taxi's and delivery cars/vans. I've also noted a number of junctions where if a red light is on for ahead, cars are turning left, then doing a u-turn to then proceed as they would. Can't fault people personally especially when traffic is light. I know Attercliffe Common is common for this, along with red light jumping as the signals are all out of sync. Derek Dooley Way can be just as bad, as if not driving at 40mph+ you won't get through all the green signals. This is common knowledge and why speeding is quite notorious along here.