Making Your Own Dried Mushrooms

I love dried mushrooms - especially ****ake mushrooms. They add a lovely, earthy,  mushroom-y flavour to soups, sauces and risottos - a much more intense flavour than using just fresh mushrooms alone - especially if you add the water that you've soaked the dried mushrooms in.

Trouble is, dried mushrooms are really expensive.  My local posh deli charges £3.50  for a 30g pack - which makes them a lot dearer, gram for gram, than the finest fillet steak!

I've recently been making my own dried mushrooms.  Make sure the mushrooms are completely dry,  then just slice them into slices of about half a centimetre thick, lay them out on a baking tray and put in a very low oven - about 140-150c (gas 2). Leave them for about an hour, then turn them over and leave them for about another hour - until crisp.  Allow to cool completely,   then store in an airtight container. They keep for a few weeks.

This works well for closed-cap white or button mushrooms, chestnut mushrooms, ****akes and porcinis. It didn't work very well with the big, flat field mushrooms.

I dry my own tomatoes, chillies, peppers and fruit then store them in olive oil. Never tried mushrooms though. I may have to give them a try. 

P. S. Love how the swear filter blanks the 1st four letters of your favourite variety of mushrooms. Gave a me a good giggle that. 

It's like Scunthorpe all over again 😂

Edited by The_DADDY

Yes -  it also amused me how the swear filter blanked out my entirely innocent word "shiitake" - as in shiitake mushrooms. Maybe it's my own fault for wrongly spelling shiitake with only one "i" instead of two. I guess I should just be grateful that I didn't try to buy shiitake mushrooms in Scunthorpe! 😁😁