logo-animation-project.gif.7b46d74a9e0ac6907919861619cda747.gif

Hi all - announcing a rebrand of the Forum theme & logo! 

We wanted to make the Forum look a little bit more modern, hope you all like it. 

Let us know what you think!

haha I've seen your feedback there - too quick! @RollingJ

Yeah, I don't like the look, feels cold and unfriendly... and less accessible for disabled...

Also don't like the new logo font!! 😕

Personal preference, but if it looks like this I feel i'll be using it less...

On my system, the +Create bit is almost wiped out by the new red "banner", and if I increase magnification instead of switching my glasses, it wipes out the notifications bell.  That is on full screen - its worse if I don't.  If you moved the red chunk to the left it would be no problem.

1 minute ago, Thirsty Relic said:

On my system, the +Create bit is almost wiped out by the new red "banner", and if I increase magnification instead of switching my glasses, it wipes out the notifications bell.  That is on full screen - its worse if I don't.  If you moved the red chunk to the left it would be no problem.

What are you using, @Thirsty Relic- on my 15.4" screen laptop, there is plenty of room - but I suppose if you are on a tablet (or phone) it might be a bit cramped.

5 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Yeah, I don't like the look, feels cold and unfriendly... and less accessible for disabled...

Hi Ghozer, 

thanks for your feedback, I was involved in the design of the new logo and forum rebrand, so I'm happy to go through some of your concerns.

Web accessibility is something I am actively passionate about, I've been fortunate to work in multiple sectors where accessibility is greater than aesthetics in web & print; so rest assured the new colours were chosen with that in mind. 

The red colour was toned back as part of the accessibility overview but also due to the negative connotations that colour holds (danger, revenge, aggression..). The blue colour hasn't been adapted too much from what existed on the current forum, you may notice some more white space has opened up instead of block red colour, this was designed to create a relaxed environment, where content is king. 

The original logo was very limiting in terms of future progression, we actually only had the .jpg file to hand so it became a blocker for any marketing and brand collateral. The new logo is quite simple in it's form, it's still a san-serif font, the same font the Forum uses.

I hope you feel more positively about the rebrand process, it took me a while to come round to the Google logo when that change but I love it now :) 

Let me know if you have any more questions on this and I'd be happy to answer your feedback. 

Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 16.17.49.png

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

What are you using, @Thirsty Relic- on my 15.4" screen laptop, there is plenty of room - but I suppose if you are on a tablet (or phone) it might be a bit cramped.

PC with 20 inch screen, zoom on 110% so I don't need my reading glasses as much.  Sometimes switch to 120%.  I know the Portrait Artist thing is only for a short period, but that's where other promotions would be - just suggesting it may be better moved a bit to the left.

I'd feel sorry for others with less vision!

11 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Let me know if that's sorted it for you :) Might need to do a hard refresh on your browser.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mintycake said:

Hi Ghozer, 

thanks for your feedback, I was involved in the design of the new logo and forum rebrand, so I'm happy to go through some of your concerns.

Web accessibility is something I am actively passionate about, I've been fortunate to work in multiple sectors where accessibility is greater than aesthetics in web & print; so rest assured the new colours were chosen with that in mind. 

The red colour was toned back as part of the accessibility overview but also due to the negative connotations that colour holds (danger, revenge, aggression..). The blue colour hasn't been adapted too much from what existed on the current forum, you may notice some more white space has opened up instead of block red colour, this was designed to create a relaxed environment, where content is king. 

The original logo was very limiting in terms of future progression, we actually only had the .jpg file to hand so it became a blocker for any marketing and brand collateral. The new logo is quite simple in it's form, it's still a san-serif font, the same font the Forum uses.

I hope you feel more positively about the rebrand process, it took me a while to come round to the Google logo when that change but I love it now :) 

Let me know if you have any more questions on this and I'd be happy to answer your feedback. 

Blue is inherently harder for us to see, Blue blurs edges and lines.... it's not about contrast, it's about the diffraction and how colours bleed/interfere with others around them...

Such as... Black on yellow, is easier to read than yellow on black.... - same contrast difference between them....

95% of my family is disabled/blind/partially sighted, it's something I have grown up with all my life... :D

Blue is also harder on the eyes, that's (partly) why we have 'blue light filters' and such on PC's and phones...

Edited by Ghozer

30 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

But at least give them points for not announcing the 'rebrand' with guff about how super excited and passionate they are about it.

I quite like the new look.  Would revert to the square avatar though.

12 minutes ago, mintycake said:

...where content is king. ...

Speaking of content, are the changes to be limited to the superficial (colours, logo, etc) or are there plans for SF to modify its content? Is SF to remain a traditional message board, complete with its sections devoted to general, non-Sheffield related content (politics, entertainment, and so on)? 

Now that SF has a brand, what are your plans for it?  How will it change in future months from the Sheffield Forum we have now?