Bombing Of The Marples Hotel

I'm sure I read somewhere that a snooker star of the time was to have given an exhibition at the Marples Hotel but luckily for him, didn't turn up. Can't find the reference now!!!!

Edited by GOLDEN OLDIE

4 hours ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that a snooker star of the time was to have given an exhibition at the Marples Hotel but luckily for him, didn't turn up. Can't find the reference now!!!!

Hia Golden Oldie. Yes, you were right! It was JOE DAVIS. He was due to play an exhibition Match that night,

but couldn't get a train from Hull because the train lines had been damaged.

He was due to play a local champion from Crooks, Charles Simpson. But as said before Joe Davis could not make it.

Edited by pitsmoorboy

1 hour ago, pitsmoorboy said:

He was due to play a local champion from Crooks, Charles Simpson. But as said before Joe Davis could not make it.

I think Charlie Simson used to own the billiard hall on Burgess Street between the Gaumont and the Yorkshireman pub.

19 hours ago, X5blushane said:

The snooker hall was it called falkners?

I think Faulkner's was the snooker hall on Cambridge Street -the other side of Cole  Bros from Burgess Street- but I could be wrong.

12 minutes ago, St Petre said:

I think Faulkner's was the snooker hall on Cambridge Street -the other side of Cole  Bros from Burgess Street- but I could be wrong.

You could be, but you’re not.