Laser Printers.

I am thinking of buying a not too expensive mono laser printer. I only print a few documents and the odd black and white photo. The thing I would like to know is, are all laser printers compatible with linux mint, and if so are they easy to install?

Most printers have Linux drivers. Best to check on the model info before you buy.

Installing on Linux is very easy.

Just a word of advice. Parts and toner for Laser can be very expensive, it might be worth looking at the pro's and cons before spending your money.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1871735#p1871735

A cautionary tale about Brother Laser printers - we used to have one at work until 3 critical elements needed replacing after 12 months and the cost of repair was more than what the printer cost. You might do better seeing what is available on e-bay or Amazon for a second hand one in good condition. But check availability of spares and costs like Zach has said.

Edited by swarfendor437

I recently got a HP LaserJet M15w, works perfectly on Linux (mint), Windows 10, and Mac OS. HP toner cartridges for it I think are around £45. I bought some compatible ones on eBay, 2 for £15.99. Quite happy with printer so far; still on original HP starter toner that was supplied; comments I read on HUKD regarding the cheapo eBay toner seemed quite positive; so fingers crossed should last a good while.

Also, worth pointing out, a lot of people seemed to be recommending Brother mono laser printers (although I note just now, poster above had poor experience with one).

Anyhow, best of luck.

8 hours ago, Waldo said:

I recently got a HP LaserJet M15w

I second a recommendation for this series of printers.

We bought the M28w after having endless issues with ink in a Epson inkjet

I have not used my old Canon printer/copier/scanner for some time, so the ink had dried out. Moreover, when I switched it on there was much grinding of plastic gears, therefore it has been binned.

I started looking for a small multi function laser unit as a replacement. I don't need colour - monochrome printing is fine. I have bought a Kyocera FS-1220 MFP for £91.93 including a cable, delivered, and it prints well - and rapidly. BUT........... when I tried to scan, computer said no. So I went on t'net, and learned that it doesn't talk to Winders 10. If only the seller had put that on the website! There was an installation disc with the bundle, but my laptop doesn't have a CD slot. Bit of a bu**er.  So I then spent another £16.00 buying a CD scanner (which I need anyway as I have scores of CD's with photos that need sorting). And once I had mastered the command keys on the laptop I was sorted, although the scanner resolution is fairly basic.

Happy so far.

10 hours ago, Waldo said:

I recently got a HP LaserJet M15w, works perfectly on Linux (mint), Windows 10, and Mac OS. HP toner cartridges for it I think are around £45. I bought some compatible ones on eBay, 2 for £15.99. Quite happy with printer so far; still on original HP starter toner that was supplied; comments I read on HUKD regarding the cheapo eBay toner seemed quite positive; so fingers crossed should last a good while.

Also, worth pointing out, a lot of people seemed to be recommending Brother mono laser printers (although I note just now, poster above had poor experience with one).

Anyhow, best of luck.

I think that might have been a bad egg.  Brother lasers are fantastic.  So much better than HP/Epson junk.

One place i used to work did something like a toner a month, but it was literally printing documents one after the other from 8am to 6pm every single day.  For some reason, they used it to print the black/white catalogues.

Thank you everyone for your input. It is most appreciated.

3 hours ago, soopah said:

I think that might have been a bad egg.  Brother lasers are fantastic.  So much better than HP/Epson junk.

One place i used to work did something like a toner a month, but it was literally printing documents one after the other from 8am to 6pm every single day.  For some reason, they used it to print the black/white catalogues.

Thanks. Yeah, wanted to get a brother myself, but a lot of places out of stock (demand high what with lockdown and people working from home offices).

The HP model I have doesn’t have a scanner and no duplex. Tempted to get a Brother colour all in one (with scanner and duplex) laser at some point, just wondering what likely costs are with colour toners? I believe significantly more expensive than mono toner?

4 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Buy HP LaserJet Pro MFP M148DW Wireless Mono Laser Printer | Printers | Argos

I am thinking of getting this one but I cannot see if it is compatible with linux. It say P.C compatible is that the same?

It is listed as Linux supported on the HP support site; https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index

Thank you for that information.