A Happy Upbeat Positive Look At Sheffield City Centre!

Lots of changes in this video including John Lewis closing, the new changes on Cambridge Street (Chubbys and Henry's being replaced with independent shops and food halls) and a look at Chapel Walk, The Castle Market area, and the Victoria Quays and canal basin

I have never lived in any city before that changes as much as sheffield all the time. It moves around like a ping pong ball without any clear strategy.  Personally I kind of like this myself and prefer this over the old nostalgic its gone crying.

Sheffield doesn't sleep it is always on the move and changing, developing.

I have lived in ancient old listed protected historic cities where you have to get a permit to drill a little hole in the wall and between north american skyscrapers and at eastern marketplaces.

Sheffield has been by far the most creative, innovative in many ways.

yeah destroying old historic buildings,mistakes galore and others lead,we dither and make no progress in my opinion,plus get further in debt.

On 12/04/2021 at 20:45, Sheffielder said:

Sheffield City Centre 2021

This is fantastic and really shows Sheffield City Centre's positive changes!
We should be proud of the way the city centre is evolving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bce4uwQetFg

👍

Sent this film to a few buddies around the world who lived here as kids but moved on to wherever life took them.  I pointed out that the person who made the film must be of a 'certain age' ie - younger than us, as there were a few glaring omissions. Missed the opportunity to point out where the well-known Kennings Motors building was on Fitzwilliam Street (a famous meeting place for mates doing the West Street pub crawl), no mention of the famous - and much-missed - Wapentake, yet Henry's, smack-bang opposite and a far lesser establishment, gets a mention! You walked passed perhaps the most famous meeting place of all, Cole's Corner, and that rec'd no acknowledge meant either. There's more, but these are just minor issues. On the whole the film was well received.

Best reply was a from a lady we've known for decades. She's American, born and raised in Philadelphia, but comes back here to visit us every few years. After viewing it she offered "Can one be homesick for a place that was never their home?"

Edited by wearysmith

On 12/04/2021 at 20:46, Sheffielder said:

Lots of changes in this video including John Lewis closing, the new changes on Cambridge Street (Chubbys and Henry's being replaced with independent shops and food halls) and a look at Chapel Walk, The Castle Market area, and the Victoria Quays and canal basin

I didn't even know Chubbys was going!

I'd be sad to see it go. I used to love chhese & chips from there after a night out drinking 😥

21 hours ago, bassett one said:

yeah destroying old historic buildings,mistakes galore and others lead,we dither and make no progress in my opinion,plus get further in debt.

Why are we the only City in the World without an historical Market and meeting area . Perhaps a Town planner can explain .

4 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Why are we the only City in the World without an historical Market and meeting area .

🤣

I thoroughly enjoyed the video. Sheffield is not standing still. Love the idea of the park around the old castle. 

I think some form of reference to Sheffield FC would have been appropriate. Not knocking snooker but we seem to push our city for its links to snooker than we do to the beautiful game.

I would have also liked a reference to Peter Stringfellow. On High Street next to Cavells (Old Blue Bell in old money) there was Down Broadway which was one of Peter's first clubs.

Going inside the Winter Gardens would have been another welcome addition.

Also liked to have seen the other side of the new HSBC (Grosvenor House Hotel) with a better view down The Moor.

Sheffield has its critics but it's a place we should all be extremely proud.  Love the place.

Just got back from town,a lack of pavement cafes and bars and a big improvement needed.

19 hours ago, ukdobby said:

Just got back from town,a lack of pavement cafes and bars and a big improvement needed.

Because we can only have a drink or eat on a terrace now. 

Sheffield has plenty of them, just be patient till lockdown rules ease up.

Next time make a reservation for a terrace before you go to town.

There's a new bar with a terrace to be launched on Carver Street in the building opposite St Matthew's Church. Once that area is redeveloped it will be a welcome addition I hope.