R.I.P Baroness Shirley Williams

Baroness Shirley Williams the ex cabinet minister and Lib Dem peer has died aged 90.     Another of the old school politicians gone 

The merger of the SDP and Liberals took place over a weekend in Sheffield in January 1988(?).

Conference was at the Octagon and all the delegates stayed at the Rutland Hotel and Hallam Towers Hotel.

Robert Macclennan (probably spelt incorrectly) was voted leader.

Shirley Williams along with David Owen, Roy Jenkins and Bill Rogers all in attendance. 

Another notable delegate was Charles Kennedy. Seemed everyone had high hopes for him. 

A significant date in English political history.  John Cole (BBC) and Michael Brunson (News at Ten ITV) beaming their news bulletins from the Rutland Hotel. 

RIP Shirley Williams.

Sad news, she had  that rare commodity in a politician, she was someone that cared for people.

R.I.P

1 hour ago, abbeyedges said:

The merger of the SDP and Liberals took place over a weekend in Sheffield in January 1988(?).

Not sure David Owen ever joined/participated in the merged SDLP.

The following election the SDP got 25 per cent if the national vote only 3 points behind labour.

If only the Blair Gov. could have got voting reform through.

16 hours ago, steve68 said:

Sad news, she had  that rare commodity in a politician, she was someone that cared for people.

R.I.P

Seconded.