Relaxation Of Restrictions. For How Long?

18 minutes ago, steved32 said:

Yesterday's data put Barnsley at 3x the national average for infections...90 per 100k.  Not hyperbole, but fact.

Can you provide a link please.

The restrictions are being slowly relaxed, and will keep being relaxed as long as we are careful about wearing masks, washing hands etc wherever possible and doing proper, serious Covid testing where there is elevated risk (like returning from foreign hols).  If we are not careful, restrictions get tighter.

Will they ever end?  Doubtful, and the Government has asked Parliament for another year of the same emergency powers to cover Covid epidemic, so presumably they think restrictions could last at least another 12 months.

28 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Can you provide a link please.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/search?postcode=S70+1AP   (the post code is a random Barnsley one I picked. It shows the rates in Barnsley at 99.6 as of yesterday.)

This compares to the 115 from the spreadsheet linked earlier so it is dropping but still 3x the national average (the 52 you mentioned is the rate in people over 60).

So I read the sheet wrong, apologies. The rate is dropping so I dont see the issue.

Well just back from The Moor.  Debenham's fire sale, the store is packed.  I'm sure someone, somewhere was monitoring customers, counting us in & out but I couldn't see anyone visible?

The Moor looks like a very busy Saturday in mid summer, although the majority are wearing face coverings but  the Govt's request to continue social distancing appears to have been forgotten. 

Edited by Baron99

Malin Bridge Inn looked busy this morning with a queue at the door and a full beer garden.

Its hard to drink beer with a face mask on.

i has to be the last one, the economy cant stand another lockdown, we have to learn to live with this virus, it hasnt been anywhere near as bad as the doom-mongers predicted, yes we have lost many thousands but mainly old and those with underlying problems. we were told masks, vaccines, distancing etc etc  would do the job?  so now we are doing that we have to accept the chance of getting it or spreading it.

there are already press reports that masks do nothing or very little, same with social distancing unless you get up really close, i predict in 2 or 3 years time an enquiry into the handling of this was OTT and a lot of the restrictions were not needed.

right off to the pub for a well earnt pint or two.

14 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

i has to be the last one, the economy cant stand another lockdown, we have to learn to live with this virus, it hasnt been anywhere near as bad as the doom-mongers predicted, yes we have lost many thousands but mainly old and those with underlying problems. we were told masks, vaccines, distancing etc etc  would do the job?  so now we are doing that we have to accept the chance of getting it or spreading it.

there are already press reports that masks do nothing or very little, same with social distancing unless you get up really close, i predict in 2 or 3 years time an enquiry into the handling of this was OTT and a lot of the restrictions were not needed.

right off to the pub for a well earnt pint or two.

Can you share some of those press reports, I'm very interested.

10 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Can you share some of those press reports, I'm very interested.

its been said a few times and there was something in the mail on sunday yesterday will have a look and come back.

Masks work ,uncontestable.

Distancing works.

And the reason we have only lost 120,000 plus is the above

Edited by butlers

I think Peter " bonkers" Hitchens still writing for the Mail,he was one of the loudest anti maskers last summer,that we should threw them to the winds and just accept the risk.

34 minutes ago, butlers said:

Masks work ,uncontestable.

Distancing works.

And the reason we have only lost 120,000 plus is the above

rubbish, masks are a comfort blanket, if they worked there would have been mandatory wearing at all times outside the home so unless you stand and virtually speak in someones face there is no problem especially outside, the whole thing was a charade until the vaccine came out.