Why Do They Keep Changing Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant Fragrance?

Hi all.

Is there a reason why certain producers of anti-perspirants/deodorants always change the fragrance every couple of years? And for the worse too?

Over that time I've noticed Brut, Sure, and Right Guard all doing the same.

I tend to buy about 5 or 6 in one go, and by the time I need another 'set', they've gone and changed the fragrance 😠

As mentioned, this has happened to all the producers I've highlighted above.

Why they do it, I'll never know. Really bad for the consumer.

Guest sibon
3 minutes ago, TyneSoft said:

Hi all.

Is there a reason why certain producers of anti-perspirants/deodorants always change the fragrance every couple of years? And for the worse too?

Over that time I've noticed Brut, Sure, and Right Guard all doing the same.

I tend to buy about 5 or 6 in one go, and by the time I need another 'set', they've gone and changed the fragrance 😠

As mentioned, this has happened to all the producers I've highlighted above.

Why they do it, I'll never know. Really bad for the consumer.

Why is it bad?

I don't like the 'changed' fragrance even though it's supposed to be exactly the same as before.

Guest sibon
14 minutes ago, TyneSoft said:

I don't like the 'changed' fragrance even though it's supposed to be exactly the same as before.

Buy more then and stockpile. Or, treat yourself and try a new fragrance.

I wonder how males got together with females before antiperspirants and deodorants were created?  Perhaps they just liked the smell of each other.  Ditto the animal kingdom.

Note that manufacturers of these products need to sell product, so they try to isolate the bits of smell we like in the opposite sex, and sell that to us.  Hence the stress on  pheromones. 

How many product executives do you think have been promoted by saying "Lets stick with this product and not change it".  There is this culture that tells us we must change, so products change.  I agree, often it is not what we want as consumers, but I've come to accept as I get older that I am not the market they are aiming for any more.

Now I'm older and happily partnered-up, I am told that what attracts partners is not scent, money, etc, just if someone looks happy.  As a result, if I had my time again, I'd simply drink more, be happier, look happier and therefore be more successful with the opposite sex!  I'd use soap, but not waste money on glorified scents that attract more flies than partners!

Not sure about anti antiperspirants, but certainly with aftershaves / perfumes I've noticed that even products of the same name changes, and as you say, usually become inferior and weaker / not as long lasting. 

I'm pretty certain that this is down to manufacturers keeping down costs - so perhaps they use less essential oils more synthetic ingredients. I used to love Drakkar Noir or Kurous in the 1980s - One spray and you'd make your presence felt! Nowadays they are so weak and lame.

Also I think some ingredients that used to be used in perfumes and aftershaves (such as Oakmoss) are banned by IFRA (International Fragrance Organisation), presumably because there are health or environmental concerns. Though Oakmoss can still be bought separately, which is strange....

Edited by Mister M

Haven't used smelly antiperspirants for years since discovering Pitrock. Solid roll on, no smell, works really well, lasts all day. Doesn't mark clothes, doesn't clash with sweaty smells. One stick lasts well over a year.