Amey Roadworks Query.

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

Yes I wondered about that but the problem could arise when things are normal or someone recovering from an illness or someone having treatment in hospital.

Agreed, but as with all things devising a solution that suits everyone and can be done within budget and time constraints is nigh on impossible. Somebody will always have different needs.

15 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Apparently, one of the options is to relocate a vehicle to a nearby street, after a fine has been issued. 

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/roads-pavements/parking-restrictions

I remember when Amey / SCC were carrying out resurfacing work on our road, I reckon we all got a letter at least a month beforehand & signs also went up around the same time. 

When my road was done, like you we got a hand-delivered letter about a month before and signs went up a week before. 

On 11/04/2021 at 13:47, spilldig said:

Hi everyone. A bit of a problem for one of our neighbours if anyone knows the answer. Basically they have gone on a two week holiday somewhere  after hiring a camper van and the car has been left at home on the road. Amey posted signs up  four days  ago saying the road will be closed and no parking allowed from the fifteenth,  Now given that people can go on holiday for two weeks I reckon that they should give at least two weeks notice in advance which they haven't done, so has it happened to anyone on here, or does anyone know what does happen?

Happened to me. They will tow it unfortunately. I went on holiday for 2 weeks and they put notices up after I went away....

I had to pay to retrieve my car and then I appealed the cost and the council had to reimburse it due to not giving me reasonable notice of the works such that I could move the car.

21 hours ago, nightrider said:

Happened to me. They will tow it unfortunately. I went on holiday for 2 weeks and they put notices up after I went away....

I had to pay to retrieve my car and then I appealed the cost and the council had to reimburse it due to not giving me reasonable notice of the works such that I could move the car.

Good to hear nightrider. Surely it wouldn't  take much organisation to give , say a minimum three weeks notice.

On 13/04/2021 at 13:46, spilldig said:

Good to hear nightrider. Surely it wouldn't  take much organisation to give , say a minimum three weeks notice.

No it would not. But this is AMEY and SCC we are talking about, so don't expect too much!

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

No it would not. But this is AMEY and SCC we are talking about, so don't expect too much!

Too true nightrider.

On 13/04/2021 at 13:46, spilldig said:

That very system has been in place for several years, ever since the Amey core works started. 

SCC put legal orders in place to facilitate the road closures, which allow the lawful removal of any vehicles which contravene them. SCC parking services enforce it and SCC’s contractors do any removals and there’s a regulated appeals process in place for anyone who feels the penalties / removals have been applied incorrectly. ( It’s the same one used for any parking penalties SCC issue).

Amey put up notices and inform local people when the closures will take place, giving plenty of notice to cover most eventualities.

The system works fine on the vast majority of occasions and there is regular liaison between Amey and SCC to ensure lessons are learned and procedures are updated when needed.

However, the process relies on people doing it right and occasionally, because they are human, they do get it wrong. That’s why there’s a regulated appeal process which includes access to an independent adjudicator. If Amey are found to be at fault for any successful appeal, they reimburse the councils costs. 

All exactly as you would expect it to be on a contract of this nature.