Ordinary Sheffielders.

14 minutes ago, trastrick said:

That was the Sheffield I knew and loved. Straight talk common sense.

And was respected for it. Even the hard men could be shamed, as long as they weren't too drunk, and most hard men didn't get legless in those day. Too dangerous.

She didn't have to worry about "offending" anybody or getting sued for discrimination, in case there was a gay, ethnic or religious minority among the group.  :)

Let me guess.

The Punch Bowl?

Very rare I drink alcohol at all now trastrick , I got in the bad habit of not being able to stop , A bottle of gin , whisky ,wine or whatever I thought it was a crime to leave it Half  full , Loved it really , it makes you sing like Sinatra , fieght like Rocky Marciano , make love like Clark Gable or  walk like John Wayne , 

But it means the gas bill might not get paid , or that step that leads onto stairs suddenly grows a foot or two and trips thi up and tha falls down stairs .apart from that it gives one the gout . so I am as bright eyed as a Owl these days , back to mi 21 year old weight and can go in a pub and just have an  orangeade .

No driving problems now my old car used to look like one of them scrappers in Coopers yard ,  some how our gate post used to jump int front of me on Friday neet and put another dint int front  wing . One dint lead to another back in the day .

sober as a vicar now ,if vicars are sober that is .

11 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Very rare I drink alcohol at all now and can go in a pub and just have an  orangeade .

Well that is a relieve, I did promise you a pint and I've not slept all night...

Last time I bought anybody a pint was way back in the 60s,

Orangeade it is then.

Someone once called me the tightest B on the planet, quite an accolade I thought, personally I would have put myself in the top 6.

Anyway, while I'm here,

Old Pubs...

My mate Ernie managed to obtain 2 much sought after VIP tickets for a gentleman's evening at a pub in down town Attercliffe.

This was in the 70s, when I'm afraid "the Cliff" was in serious decline, the pubs were trying everything to get the punters in.

I have no recollection of the name of the pub, but as you travelled up Weedon St from Brightside, there was a road on your righthand side that led up on to the common, don't think it exists anymore. this backstreet pub was situated there.

So one Friday night, we set off in great anticipation to see what awaits us.

What a venue, I can only describe it as a Palladium of debauchery, one of those places where you wipe your feet on the way out.

The only thing missing was the sawdust and spittoons.

We were ushered into a small dingy back room which was packed out with about a dozen blokes..

After about 6 pints of stoooonnesy the entertainment began, 

The dilapidated Jukebox was switched on, and the tune of Ravel's Bolero rung out.

In walked the entertainer, a tart stripper, I'm sure she had made the long journey from the Wybourn just to thrill us lads.

Crikey me, 

She had a tooth missing, swallows tattooed on here neck, (before tattoos became fashionable) and legs like a Netto chicken.

Thank goodness for them beer goggles...

She strips off and starts gyrating to the music, then moves stealthily among the audience, where each bloke takes his turn at having a good fumble.

I'm eagerly awaiting my turn, being the most handsome bloke in the audience, I'm sure she's saving me for the finale...

Sure enough, She approaches me, sits on my lap, YIPPEE, time to do the business....

Then it happened,  (not that)

The ruddy Jukebox blew a fuse, she jumped up grabbed her attire and, and was of like a dirty shirt...

And that Cuttsie has been the story of my life.

41 minutes ago, Padders said:

Well that is a relieve, I did promise you a pint and I've not slept all night...

Last time I bought anybody a pint was way back in the 60s,

Orangeade it is then.

Someone once called me the tightest B on the planet, quite an accolade I thought, personally I would have put myself in the top 6.

Anyway, while I'm here,

Old Pubs...

My mate Ernie managed to obtain 2 much sought after VIP tickets for a gentleman's evening at a pub in down town Attercliffe.

This was in the 70s, when I'm afraid "the Cliff" was in serious decline, the pubs were trying everything to get the punters in.

I have no recollection of the name of the pub, but as you travelled up Weedon St from Brightside, there was a road on your righthand side that led up on to the common, don't think it exists anymore. this backstreet pub was situated there.

So one Friday night, we set off in great anticipation to see what awaits us.

What a venue, I can only describe it as a Palladium of debauchery, one of those places where you wipe your feet on the way out.

The only thing missing was the sawdust and spittoons.

We were ushered into a small dingy back room which was packed out with about a dozen blokes..

After about 6 pints of stoooonnesy the entertainment began, 

The dilapidated Jukebox was switched on, and the tune of Ravel's Bolero rung out.

In walked the entertainer, a tart stripper, I'm sure she had made the long journey from the Wybourn just to thrill us lads.

Crikey me, 

She had a tooth missing, swallows tattooed on here neck, (before tattoos became fashionable) and legs like a Netto chicken.

Thank goodness for them beer goggles...

She strips off and starts gyrating to the music, then moves stealthily among the audience, where each bloke takes his turn at having a good fumble.

I'm eagerly awaiting my turn, being the most handsome bloke in the audience, I'm sure she's saving me for the finale...

Sure enough, She approaches me, sits on my lap, YIPPEE, time to do the business....

Then it happened,  (not that)

The ruddy Jukebox blew a fuse, she jumped up grabbed her attire and, and was of like a dirty shirt...

And that Cuttsie has been the story of my life.

Good un Padders there was a pub on the Cliffe next to Banners that had the naughty shows around 1984 ish . I never went just heard about it on the grape vine ,

42 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Good un Padders there was a pub on the Cliffe next to Banners that had the naughty shows around 1984 ish . I never went just heard about it on the grape vine ,

Dog and Partridge Cutsie.

2 hours ago, ukdobby said:

Dog and Partridge Cutsie.

Thats it

Remember the cheeky bus conductors?

Hartopp Rd. became "Hard up" Road.

Ranmore Inn, became "Ram more in!"

Any more?

I remember going to the 'top of Heeley Bottom ' once. 

Down Deep Pits , which was where Hastillar Road met City Rd

Danny.

I was working on Rock Street back in the early 80's , we were renovating the Victorian Villas that over look the City .

I was alone on the site one early morning and as I started the cement mixer I noticed a young kid sat on the high steps watching me , I nodded to him and carried on , Around ten minutes later I noticed he had gone , he never spoke and I never saw him go .

The next day  the same thing , I realised that I was being watched this time the lad was a little nearer sat on the bottom steps , I again nodded to him and asked if he had to go to school .  He shook his head then muttered ," School  has sent me out "  "Whats tha mean sent thi out " ses I , . He just shuck his head and replied , "Don't know don't like mi" . 

"Why don't thi like you" I replied my curiosity rising , Again just a shrug and half cocked look that I took to mean enough info for one day .

Once again when I looked around he had scarpered .

This went on for a few days , and day by day the kid got closer to the jobs we were doing at the time . 

I had now managed to get him to open up just a little more and it turned out his name was Danny and he lived on Nottingham Street with his mam and dad as well as four brothers and sisters .

As the days became a couple of weeks he had started to jump in and try and help me , You know pick up a few bricks and put them next to me or he would fill my gobo board wether it wanted filling or not.

This was causing some pith taking on the site as the lads soon caught on that Danny was following me around not just for a few minutes or the odd hour but all day most days . 

I got to thinking that it was time he should give it a rest as building sites are not the safest place for kids to hang around and especially  one who was lets say a little on the slow side in the head  , so one morning  when I got to work Dan was waiting as usual ready for helping with any task he thought would help .

I looked at him and as usual he was staring at me waiting to see what task I was about to start , 

I said "Danny tha will have to go home I can't have thi hanging about ont site all time so be a good lad and go on" 

He looked at me and tears started to run down his face , then ran up Nottingham Street like a rocket .

The lads then started telling me what a twattt I was even though they had been pith taking for days calling Danny Judos little pet among other unsavoury remarks .

Around  dinner time that day A very large woman shouted up to us from the pavement on Rock Street . 

"Is that flipping  !!!! Judd around " she screamed . The lads gave me a shout and as  I walked towards her she pointed straight int my face and gave me the loudest bolloccking I have ever had .

"Tha's broke ourDanny's heart ' she said not entirely using those words . 'Why's that love " sed me .

'because tha's made him come hooooam and the poor little sod is heart broke " "He is sat under stairs and wain't come out you twattttt" 

I started to explain how it was dangerous for a kid on site and he should be going to school and so on . 

'he's left school for good " she replied , "He is sixteen next week and they wain't take him back any way because he is disruptive wi others, since he has been helping thee he has been as happy as owt and now he is back to square one .

The lads had all joined in trying to help me out of the situation brought on by me being  to daft as I should have told the kid to get lost on day one .

I then uttered the words I often regretted in later days and weeks , "Tell him to come back il'e give him a proper job .

So thats what happened ,he started the next , Dig a hole for drains , rip a ceiling down , mix some gobbo , no problem , he went at it like there was no tomorrow ,except some times that is .

Some times he would decide he was not doing it and he wanted to just help me  and no matter how much I tried I was wasting my time , if he din't want to do it that was that . He would just sit in a corner and look at me through his fingers spread across his face until I gave in and let him di what he wanted .

We had other lads on the site inc my pals three sons all around Danny's age and they could not get away with refusing to do whatever job was in in hand so this caused them to be a little up tight rightly so I suppose as Danny was on the same money as them but was getting away with things they could not.

The firm we were working for on contract was a housing association who  had offices in the local area and one day I was called into their office to attend a meeting , various problems were discussed , and then site safety was brought up some thing I thought was strange as it had never been a problem before

The housing manager . began by saying that neighbours  on Rock Street had been complaining about one of lads , Straight away I thought I know where this is heading Danny.

It seems as though the building trade had gone to his head , He could now swear and curse better and louder than  best of them , No woman was safe from a comment if she waked past the site , At night Danny sat on the scaffold telling the local kids what he would do if they came any where near and frightening the life out of them .

I explained to the management team that Danny's lift did not go to the top floor and that we (I) had set him on out of sympathy for his situation .

They made  various comments saying that they understood but under the circumstances they as a major  housing association could not be seen to allow our employees to be upsetting the local community and that it was up to me to sort the situation out meaning he had to go .

I went back to the site and as usual Danny had had one of his turns , I took him to one side and said "Come on pal lets go and see thi mam " " Ive got them bricks to shift " he replied , So losing my rag I shouted ,Danny get thi coat we are going to see your mam " 

When we got to his house on Nottingham Street I saw his mam on stood on the corner across from the Nottingham pub . " What tha want " she said , I explained the situation and she started as I expected to call me all the names ever invented for being me , I was begging her to understand that I had made a mistake in setting her lad on in the first place and that I now had no choice but to call it day as we our selves would be losing work if I did not comply  with the company who we were working for policy .

She started to get more and more vocal and I thought how am I going to get out of this one when .

Danny who had been sitting on the wall listening with his usual hand and fingers spread over his face , shouted . "Don't want to work on theeere any more " , We all looked at him , "whats tha mean " his mam said , Don't like it now stop at hoooam wi thee mam" he replied .

Talk about relief on my part and if truth is known every one else's as well it was like a boulder being lifted of my shoulders .

We parted company but I saw Danny a few times after that usually in the Castle Market on Saturday he was then courting a lass called Sandra who like him was not blessed with a full understanding of life in general . 

Towards the end of 1983 I was walking up Spital Hill and coming towards me was the familiar walking style of Danny , he was with Sandra and pushing a pram ,In the pram was a a little lad  about two years old with a shock of long blond hair, We all stopped and and had a good hug and and smiley session , I then asked who the kid in the pram was , "he's our babby " they both chimed up , "bloody hell " I said "thats smashing " "What do thi call him " "Judd like thee " said Danny , talk about tears it was my turn then .

Edited by cuttsie

Guest makapaka
8 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Danny.

I was working on Rock Street back in the early 80's , we were renovating the Victorian Villas that over look the City .

I was alone on the site one early morning and as I started the cement mixer I noticed a young kid sat on the high steps watching me , I nodded to him and carried on , Around ten minutes later I noticed he had gone , he never spoke and I never saw him go .

The next day  the same thing , I realised that I was being watched this time the lad was a little nearer sat on the bottom steps , I again nodded to him and asked if he had to go to school .  He shook his head then muttered ," School  has sent me out "  "Whats tha mean sent thi out " ses I , . He just shuck his head and replied , "Don't know don't like mi" . 

"Why don't thi like you" I replied my curiosity rising , Again just a shrug and half cocked look that I took to mean enough info for one day .

Once again when I looked around he had scarpered .

This went on for a few days , and day by day the kid got closer to the jobs we were doing at the time . 

I had now managed to get him to open up just a little more and it turned out his name was Danny and he lived on Nottingham Street with his mam and dad as well as four brothers and sisters .

As the days became a couple of weeks he had started to jump in and try and help me , You know pick up a few bricks and put them next to me or he would fill my gobo board wether it wanted filling or not.

This was causing some pith taking on the site as the lads soon caught on that Danny was following me around not just for a few minutes or the odd hour but all day most days . 

I got to thinking that it was time he should give it a rest as building sites are not the safest place for kids to hang around and especially  one who was lets say a little on the slow side in the head  , so one morning  when I got to work Dan was waiting as usual ready for helping with any task he thought would help .

I looked at him and as usual he was staring at me waiting to see what task I was about to start , 

I said "Danny tha will have to go home I can't have thi hanging about ont site all time so be a good lad and go on" 

He looked at me and tears started to run down his face , then ran up Nottingham Street like a rocket .

The lads then started telling me what a twattt I was even though they had been pith taking for days calling Danny Judos little pet among other unsavoury remarks .

Around  dinner time that day A very large woman shouted up to us from the pavement on Rock Street . 

"Is that flipping  !!!! Judd around " she screamed . The lads gave me a shout and as  I walked towards her she pointed straight int my face and gave me the loudest bolloccking I have ever had .

"Tha's broke ourDanny's heart ' she said not entirely using those words . 'Why's that love " sed me .

'because tha's made him come hooooam and the poor little sod is heart broke " "He is sat under stairs and wain't come out you twattttt" 

I started to explain how it was dangerous for a kid on site and he should be going to school and so on . 

'he's left school for good " she replied , "He is sixteen next week and they wain't take him back any way because he is disruptive wi others, since he has been helping thee he has been as happy as owt and now he is back to square one .

The lads had all joined in trying to help me out of the situation brought on by me being  to daft as I should have told the kid to get lost on day one .

I then uttered the words I often regretted in later days and weeks , "Tell him to come back il'e give him a proper job .

So thats what happened ,he started the next , Dig a hole for drains , rip a ceiling down , mix some gobbo , no problem , he went at it like there was no tomorrow ,except some times that is .

Some times he would decide he was not doing it and he wanted to just help me  and no matter how much I tried I was wasting my time , if he din't want to do it that was that . He would just sit in a corner and look at me through his fingers spread across his face until I gave in and let him di what he wanted .

We had other lads on the site inc my pals three sons all around Danny's age and they could not get away with refusing to do whatever job was in in hand so this caused them to be a little up tight rightly so I suppose as Danny was on the same money as them but was getting away with things they could not.

The firm we were working for on contract was a housing association who  had offices in the local area and one day I was called into their office to attend a meeting , various problems were discussed , and then site safety was brought up some thing I thought was strange as it had never been a problem before

The housing manager . began by saying that neighbours  on Rock Street had been complaining about one of lads , Straight away I thought I know where this is heading Danny.

It seems as though the building trade had gone to his head , He could now swear and curse better and louder than  best of them , No woman was safe from a comment if she waked past the site , At night Danny sat on the scaffold telling the local kids what he would do if they came any where near and frightening the life out of them .

I explained to the management team that Danny's lift did not go to the top floor and that we (I) had set him on out of sympathy for his situation .

They made  various comments saying that they understood but under the circumstances they as a major  housing association could not be seen to allow our employees to be upsetting the local community and that it was up to me to sort the situation out meaning he had to go .

I went back to the site and as usual Danny had had one of his turns , I took him to one side and said "Come on pal lets go and see thi mam " " Ive got them bricks to shift " he replied , So losing my rag I shouted ,Danny get thi coat we are going to see your mam " 

When we got to his house on Nottingham Street I saw his mam on stood on the corner across from the Nottingham pub . " What tha want " she said , I explained the situation and she started as I expected to call me all the names ever invented for being me , I was begging her to understand that I had made a mistake in setting her lad on in the first place and that I now had no choice but to call it day as we our selves would be losing work if I did not comply  with the company who we were working for policy .

She started to get more and more vocal and I thought how am I going to get out of this one when .

Danny who had been sitting on the wall listening with his usual hand and fingers spread over his face , shouted . "Don't want to work on theeere any more " , We all looked at him , "whats tha mean " his mam said , Don't like it now stop at hoooam wi thee mam" he replied .

Talk about relief on my part and if truth is known every one else's as well it was like a boulder being lifted of my shoulders .

We parted company but I saw Danny a few times after that usually in the Castle Market on Saturday he was then courting a lass called Sandra who like him was not blessed with a full understanding of life in general . 

Towards the end of 1983 I was walking up Spital Hill and coming towards me was the familiar walking style of Danny , he was with Sandra and pushing a pram ,In the pram was a a little lad  about two years old with a shock of long blond hair, We all stopped and and had a good hug and and smiley session , I then asked who the kid in the pram was , "he's our babby " they both chimed up , "bloody hell " I said "thats smashing " "What do thi call him " "Judd like thee " said Danny , talk about tears it was my turn then .

That’s a great read that cuttsie - keep em coming.

Guest makapaka

I worked on a building site with Bob in mid 90s. He was joiner and I’d guess he was 50 odd.

it was building some houses on manor.

While he worked he constantly sang or whistled come up and see make me smile by Steve Harley - non stop.

he got the bus to work and carried all his tools in carrier bags and ruck sacks.

he kept himself to himself mostly and was always friendly but one day we were on a scaffold while they were lifting roof trussses up and he was helping trying to lift one up another young lad like me shouted - “come on Bob get it lifted” - he spun round and said

”thee ***kin gee orr upsetting me t**t” or I’ll swing this round thi ead”

it all went quiet and then a few minutes later you heard him singing Steve Harley again .

Edited by makapaka

7 hours ago, makapaka said:

I worked on a building site with Bob in mid 90s. He was joiner and I’d guess he was 50 odd.

it was building some houses on manor.

While he worked he constantly sang or whistled come up and see make me smile by Steve Harley - non stop.

he got the bus to work and carried all his tools in carrier bags and ruck sacks.

he kept himself to himself mostly and was always friendly but one day we were on a scaffold while they were lifting roof trussses up and he was helping trying to lift one up another young lad like me shouted - “come on Bob get it lifted” - he spun round and said

”thee ***kin gee orr upsetting me t**t” or I’ll swing this round thi ead”

it all went quiet and then a few minutes later you heard him singing Steve Harley again .

So many stories left untold , cheers .