Ordinary Sheffielders.

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

The stories I could tell you Cuttsie,

But unfortunately the choice of language, to make the stories authentic, would not be permitted on here.

I've got one which concern's a certain Sheffield sauna, A dwarf chasing a 6 foot black man, who, apparently had ripped the sauna of for a S--G.

Ger on with it . One story a couple of weeks ago escaped the censors by a soap sud .

1 minute ago, cuttsie said:

Ger on with it . One story a couple of weeks ago escaped the censors by a soap sud .

No can do pal..

It contains a lot of racist language, will pass it on to Chubby Brown.

Tha nos Cuttsie, back in the 60s, every pub and club had a fishing club, and at some stage money went missing...

This happened at Bellhouse WMC, about a 1000 quid some how disappeared, after investigation no one could be proven to be the culprit.

However the organizer of the fishing club was barred.

A month later he was running the fishing club up the road at the Horseshoe..

Another instance of this behaviour could be found at the Huntsman pub on Barnsley rd.

The Blackpool outing...

This was in the form of a saving's club, whereby you paid what ever you could afford each week into your account.

So come the morning of the outing, we have about 40 holiday makers, patiently waiting with their suitcases for the coach to arrive.

No coach comes,

The organizer is sipping his Pina Colada on the veranda of his villa in Tenerife.

He didn't have the decency to inform them not to bother turning up.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Tha nos Cuttsie, back in the 60s, every pub and club had a fishing club, and at some stage money went missing...

This happened at Bellhouse WMC, about a 1000 quid some how disappeared, after investigation no one could be proven to be the culprit.

Another instance of this behaviour could be found at the Huntsman pub on Barnsley rd.

The Blackpool outing...

This was in the form of a saving's club, whereby you paid what ever you could afford each week into your account.

So come the morning of the outing, we have about 40 holiday makers, patiently waiting with their suitcases for the coach to arrive.

No coach comes,

The organizer is sipping his Pina Colada on the veranda of his villa in Tenerife.

A bloke in our club always came in and after a couple of pints he was always tapping for a fiver for more beer.

He works his way onto the committee and worked his way to Chairman, next thing he's driving a new car, has plenty of money for booze, and goes to Malta for 3 months over the winter and his Mr's gave her job up.

He went from club scrounger to "I don't need anyone's money I've got plenty" practically overnight.

The club had new carpets and wallpaper and what a coincidence they were exactly the same as in his house,

Apparently he was treasurer at another place before that ended up skint.

The crown jewels of his antics though was the kids Christmas party, 100's of Kids singing "why are we waiting" when Santa didn't turn up with their presents.

He'd had the Kids money.

They still didn't get rid of him.

"Oh no good old ---- wouldn't rob anyone.

He finally left and £30,000 went missing with him.

It's been happening all over for decades.

Edited by Alextopman

6 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

A bloke in our club always came in and after a couple of pints he was always tapping for a fiver for more beer.

He works his way onto the committee and worked his way to Chairman, next thing he's driving a new car, has plenty of money for booze, and goes to Malta for 3 months over the winter and his Mr's gave her job up.

He went from club scrounger to "I don't need anyone's money I've got plenty" practically overnight.

The club had new carpets and wallpaper and what a coincidence they were exactly the same as in his house,

Apparently he was treasurer at another place before that ended up skint.

The crown jewels of his antics though was the kids Christmas party, 100's of Kids singing "why are we waiting" when Santa didn't turn up with their presents.

He'd had the Kids money.

They still didn't get rid of him.

"Oh no good old ---- wouldn't rob anyone.

He finally left and £30,000 went missing with him.

It's been happening all over for decades.

That's a great post Alex, and so true..

The bit I've highlighted must have been our club secretary, another coincidence.

2 hours ago, Padders said:

The Blackpool outing...

No coach comes,

It happened at most clubs ,  Although I have known two exceptions , The Smithywood being one , A builder mate of mine called Brian Davy took on the job as secretary ,chairman pot wesher the lot , 

He pulled that club up out of the gutter , we got the best Turns , loads of beer tickets at Christmas and so on , Brian may have to have is spot on these pages soon ..

Another was the Arundel on City Road , A lad who  went to Prince Edwards Manor Top took over as treasurer etc , (his name will come to me when I am not expecting it to ) .

The Arundel went from strength to strength under his stint , The turns were the biggest ever seen on a working mans club inc Lyn Perry , Freddie and the dreamers , and so on .

To this day the Arundel is a shinning light on Sheffield club scene .

Was his name Berisford ? rings a bell that does .

I remember when they built a thrust stage that ran the length of the concert room , A good turn could get right in among the audience , Lyn Perry ran the full length in mini skirt , bent or took of her high heels and flung em into the Sunday dinner crowd ,.

She brought the house down did Lyn a great turn .

The three clubs at Manor top have a chequered history , two of em kept going skint some times mysteriously closing down , The Park and Arbour was the worse for this and I remember the last time when the ****e hit the fan .

On the last night things kept disappearing through the door inc the big wide screen telly , I think I know where that ended up but am saying now't .

In the sixties when I worked on the rolling mills there was a man who walked across the mill floor every morning at exactly the same time, holding his mashing can in front of him. We had to stop rolling to let him pass, ( he was a half way worker that came from the then middlewood hospital). By half way I mean they let him out of hospital to do menial work and to get them out of the hospital environment. Back to the story.  When he crossed the mill floor he went to the tea mashing urn and saluted it. He then made his journey back to where he worked . He did this every day without fail. We noticed one day he did not appear so we made enquiries about him and to our sorrow we were told he had died over the weekend. About 3 weeks later we got a letter of thanks ( from his daughter) for looking after him at work. She also told us that he was a spitfire pilot during the war and a soon as the war ended he just turned  that way. After all the horrors he had seen he just switched off.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

In the sixties when I worked on the rolling mills there was a man who walked across the mill floor every morning at exactly the same time, holding his mashing can in front of him. We had to stop rolling to let him pass, ( he was a half way worker that came from the then middlewood hospital). By half way I mean they let him out of hospital to do menial work and to get them out of the hospital environment. Back to the story.  When he crossed the mill floor he went to the tea mashing urn and saluted it. He then made his journey back to where he worked . He did this every day without fail. We noticed one day he did not appear so we made enquiries about him and to our sorrow we were told he had died over the weekend. About 3 weeks later we got a letter of thanks ( from his daughter) for looking after him at work. She also told us that he was a spitfire pilot during the war and a soon as the war ended he just turned  that way. After all the horrors he had seen he just switched off.

That’s one very sad story mate 

Lest we forget , eh ?

8 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Good story Kidorry . 

It brings back memories of a spitfire pilot who lived on Gleadless common  in the bungalows just up from New Inn .

I the war he flew over the common dipping his wings over his mam and dads house , my Ma told me that the whole district was out waving at him , Three weeks later he got shot down over the channel .

The story appears in  a book about Gleadless as well .

The pilot I wrote about had, two or three after we knew about him, 2 full pages of the Star written about him. Apparently  he had the D.F.C. for bravery.

Another one of the half way workers worked on the billet yard. A place where all the bars are sorted out before going in the mill. The first day he started he asked the foreman of the yard what he should do. So the foreman asked him  to straighten up about 10 bars that were on the ground. They were all a different length. He straightened one side up and when he went round the other side to see if they were straight the look of astonishment on his face was amazing because they were not straight like the other side he had done. So he set these straight and went to the other side and of course they were not straight. The look on his astonished face was amazing. After about 20 minutes the foreman came and told him he had done a good job, but, he insisted he would carry on until he got them straight. He let him carry on until the following Monday when he told him his billets had been rolled. The foreman said he had never seen a man look so chuffed. We had about ten of these people working at our place and no one ever ridiculed or hurt them in any way.