Ordinary Sheffielders.

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

A lovely story, I enjoyed reading this. 

thank you , that means a lot , it makes it worth while contributing to the forum .

On 10/04/2021 at 22:29, cuttsie said:

Got it , will meet some one day eh!!!!!!! 

John Burkill the green wig man,he has collected thousands for  Mcmillan  cancer research he has bot to be in the  Sheffield hall of fame.

14 minutes ago, bazza63 said:

John Burkill the green wig man,he has collected thousands for  Mcmillan  cancer research he has bot to be in the  Sheffield hall of fame.

All it needs is for some one to start typing his story .

5 hours ago, cuttsie said:

thank you , that means a lot , it makes it worth while contributing to the forum .

Pity we haven't got a like button, cus I feel the same way as you.

I would always give your post's a like.

I think all of us have been inspired by ordinary people who touched our lives at one time or another.

By workmates, teachers and neighbours and family members.

During the war my Grandma lived in a "double house" on the Arbourthorne estate. That was were two houses were joined by a door in the kitchen for large families. We shared one gas stove and one bath. Her house became a temporary wartime school for neighborhood kids.

Rationing was not a big problem for her. With a few simple ingredients, flour, salt and lard, plus stuff from the garden, whatever could be gotten from the butcher, bones, heart, udder, tongue, and the oven on the range, she could feed the entire family some delicious food. She baked on Saturdays and everybody would show up on Sunday to partake.

But one story stands out.

During the war, they were building prefabs on the spare ground at the end of the street, part of Lawson's Farm. In a stroke of common sense they had German POW's building them. Most were young men and us kids would go and watch them at work. It was routine work and everybody was just basically waiting for the war to be over. Security was lax and the were allowed a little freedom. Nothing like the movies. They would trade whatever they had for cigarettes and food from the neighbors. uniform stripes, buttons, badges, little wood carvings, and such.

My grandma took pity on them and invited a few of them in for fresh bread and soup, on their breaks. This was a time when we were being told to hate the Germans, so some of the neighbors complained that she was fraternising with the enemy.

She was adamant, and told everybody that she had a husband and a son who served in the army, and hoped if they were captured, they would be treated the same way.

Just an extra -"ordinary" mother, and grandmother.

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I think all of us have been inspired by ordinary people who touched our lives at one time or another.

By workmates, teachers and neighbours and family members.

During the war my Grandma lived in a "double house" on the Arbourthorne estate. That was were two houses were joined by a door in the kitchen for large families. We shared one gas stove and one bath. Her house became a temporary wartime school for neighborhood kids.

Rationing was not a big problem for her. With a few simple ingredients, flour, salt and lard, plus stuff from the garden, whatever could be gotten from the butcher, bones, heart, udder, tongue, and the oven on the range, she could feed the entire family some delicious food. She baked on Saturdays and everybody would show up on Sunday to partake.

But one story stands out.

During the war, they were building prefabs on the spare ground at the end of the street, part of Lawson's Farm. In a stroke of common sense they had German POW's building them. Most were young men and us kids would go and watch them at work. It was routine work and everybody was just basically waiting for the war to be over. Security was lax and the were allowed a little freedom. Nothing like the movies. They would trade whatever they had for cigarettes and food from the neighbors. uniform stripes, buttons, badges, and such.

My grandma took pity on them and invited a few of them in for fresh bread and soup, on their breaks. This was a time when we were being told to hate the Germans, so some of the neighbors complained that she was fraternising with the enemy.

She was adamant, and told everybody that she had a husband and a son who served in the army, and hoped if they were captured, they would be treated the same way.

Just an extra -"ordinary" mother, and grandmother.

Great story pal , Ordinary people are so much more interesting than all the so called celebs who are in the media  play ground .

Fu Fu , 

Around 1966 ish I lived on Hoole Streee ,Walkley , just around the corner from us was a pub called The Royal Hotel . it wasn't a hotel it was a pub , A pub with a snug , A tap room and a games room .

I was in there one Saturday lunch time having a couple of halfs  when a midle  aged lady walked in and sat next to me on the tall bar stools, She ordered a half of beer from Jack Eyre the landlord ,  As Jack served her he happened to mention that the weather was picking up and the sun was coming out,  She looked at Jack and uttered "Phew "  She then started a conversation with me  and it got around to me telling her that I was going to the match, She looked at me  head on and uttered the word "phew"  or foo or Fu . she supped up and left and Jack gave me a smile and said that I had just met Fu ,Fu ..

Apparently her name was Maggie and she lived on Burgoyne Road just below the school and it appears that where ever she went in Walkley people would cross the road uttering "watch out Fu Fu's here " 

Just another little memory  of an ordinary Sheffielder  from times past that means now't to any body except me because both Jack and Fu Fu are both supping at that bar in Sky now .  Oh well IL'e get mi coat .

Edited by cuttsie

Thank you Cuttsie!

Jack Simpkins was our sports teacher at Heeley Bank. He used to join in our lunchtime footy games in the playground, but he used to kick at our ankles with his winkle picker shoes, and get the ball away. We used to complain but he just laughed.

His dream was to beat Sharrow Lane, but the soccer team we had for the 2 years I played was useless, I think we all smoked Park Drive, and I remember missing an open net which would have tied a game. I still have occasional nightmares about that!

Anyway he asked me what I wanted to do when I left school. I said I'd like to be an electrician. Ok, he said here's what you do. You'll need a night school "preparatory" course in Math, Science and Technical Drawing. Then you find the biggest contracting firm in Sheffield, write a nice letter of application to the Personnel Manager, and tell 'em you want to work for them. I followed his advice, and it worked, just like he said. Simple!

Fast forward 5 years. Decided I wanted a big car, a house and a telephone, so saved my money and went to Canada where everybody had one. Simple!

Couldn't get an electricians job so what to do? I used to pass this big new magazine publishing building, set back in it's own landscaped parklike setting. So I channeled Simpkins, put on my best (and only) suit, went up to the office and confidently asked to see the Personnel Manager. His secretary looked me up and down, a little puzzled, but said I could wait until he came out. He took me into his office to find out what I wanted. Told him I wanted to work for his firm. He smiled, and said, well, we got the day shift or the night shift, and the night shift pays a little more. Ok, I'll take it! Simple!

Never again went back on the tools.

Always intended to get back to Sheffield and thank Mr. Simpkins, but It never happened for a lot of reasons.

He also encouraged my younger brother who had real football talent, to follow his dream of playing pro football. Played with some names at Mansfield Town.

But he too, came to Canada, and got off the tools for good.

But life was much simpler on those days.

Now I retire, but where?  I always dreamed of a tropical island beach in the Caribbean. With palm trees and a beach bar or two.

So I went and found one. Simple!

Thank you, Jack!

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Thank you Cuttsie!

Jack Simpkins was our sports teacher at Heeley Bank. He used to join in our lunchtime footy games in the playground, but he used to kick at our ankles with his winkle picker shoes, and get the ball away. We used to complain but he just laughed.

His dream was to beat Sharrow Lane, but the soccer team we had for the 2 years I played was useless, I think we all smoked Park Drive, and I remember missing an open net which would have tied a game. I still have occasional nightmares about that!

Anyway he asked me what I wanted to do when I left school. I said I'd like to be an electrician. Ok, he said here's what you do. You'll need a night school "preparatory" course in Math, Science and Technical Drawing. Then you find the biggest contracting firm in Sheffield, write a nice letter of application to the Personnel Manager, and tell 'em you want to work for them. I followed his advice, and it worked, just like he said. Simple!

Fast forward 5 years. Decided I wanted a big car, a house and a telephone, so saved my money and went to Canada where everybody had one. Simple!

Couldn't get an electricians job so what to do? I used to pass this big new magazine publishing building, set back in it's own landscaped parklike setting. So I channeled Simpkins, put on my best (and only) suit, went up to the office and confidently asked to see the Personnel Manager. His secretary looked me up and down, a little puzzled, but said I could wait until he came out. He took me into his office to find out what I wanted. Told him I wanted to work for his firm. He smiled, and said, well, we got the day shift or the night shift, and the night shift pays a little more. Ok, I'll take it! Simple!

Never again went back on the tools.

Always intended to get back to Sheffield and thank Mr. Simpkins, but It never happened for a lot of reasons.

He also encouraged my younger brother who had real football talent, to follow his dream of playing pro football. Played with some names at Mansfield Town.

But he too, came to Canada, and got off the tools for good.

But life was much simpler on those days.

Now I retire, but where?  I always dreamed of a tropical island beach in the Caribbean. With palm trees and a beach bar or two.

So I went and found one. Simple!

Thank you, Jack!

Proper Sheffielders .

Hi Cuttsie.

My brother Roy reminds me it was Retford Town he played for, not Mansfield.

Small world, he says he knows you, and you knew the Humphries at Gleadless. Gordon married my mom.

He says to say Hi.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 13:42, trastrick said:

Hi Cuttsie.

My brother Roy reminds me it was Retford Town he played for, not Mansfield.

Small world, he says he knows you, and you knew the Humphries at Gleadless. Gordon married my mom.

He says to say Hi.

Mrs Humphries lived next door to us at no 66 , I remember them well inc  Gordon and his sister Madge ????? I think that was her name , its a long time ago .

Jim Wilson . 

Jim Wilson was  a champion cyclist , musician , war hero and just about the nicest man that ever walked the Streets of Sheffield , 

After war service Jim opened a bike shop on City Road in Sheffield , he built bike frames from scratch as well as repairing and building up complete new ones .

He ran a semi professional road race team under the name Wilson cycles , the team competed all over the UK as well as in Europe , They won many major road races ,the star rider was a national champion  in the fifty's Ron Coe .

Jim managed the England road race cycling team around that time  with great success .

Any way , As a youngster as well as a keen cyclist  at that time in the fifties I used to hang around Jims shop on City Road , 

I would just merge into the background of what was usually a crowded shop and out side area where all the top road cyclists from miles around would congregate to swop stories of the latest race or up and coming ones .

Jim sold all the best bike gear and  I  Would look in his front window at all this stuff that was beyond the pocket of a 14 year old who had only a paper round to finance any gear I needed , this meant I just had a basic hand me down bike and bike clothing that fitted me .

On show in Jims shop was a shelf full of all the latest Italian cycling shoes , soft leather that simply shouted out try me on .

One day I  was as usual stood around just browsing the goods and Jim gave me a smile as I handled the Italian Coppi  brand shoes , He did not say owt until I was leaving  ,then as I was opening the shop door he said "hold on a minute take these wi thi " .he then gave me the lovely pair of shoes , I said "Jim I amp't got any money " Jim just smiled that smile that meant so much to a young hero worshiper like me and said "Who mentioned money ger em on and get off home " .

That was Jim Wison another ordinary Sheffielder who was never forgotten by the hundreds who knew and loved him .

Cheers Jim it was an honour to have known you .

Edited by cuttsie
  • Like 1