Prince Philip Has Died

3 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I’m also pleased that there are tribute programmes on TV.

I knew Prince Phillip was a war hero but I’ve learnt much more about this man today.

When I see all the tributes from all over the world, including one from Mr Putin, it makes you realise how popular the Monarchy is world wide.

I've also learnt more about him from a programme I've been watching today.

I knew a little about his childhood from something I'd previously read, and  there  was a  programme on a few weeks ago about his mother Princess Alice I found interesting.

She was born deaf and learnt to lip read in a few languages, but  she suffered with a mental illness in adult life, and Philip as a child was separated from her for a few years and sent to live with various relatives when she was forcibly admitted to a sanatorium.

Later in life she became a nun, but before then during the Nazi period, she had risked arrest by hiding  some Jewish people in her home.

In Israel she is among those on 'The Righteous  Amongst the Nations' list of honours.

Edited by janie48

My post was aimed at the pathetic post of MJ01

4 hours ago, Longcol said:

Go on, don't be shy, do tell how it's going to get interesting 😎

Putting some things into perspective... We have problems with covid laws, the public and a very public funeral taking place. We also have Harry and Meghan coming to it. Her maj could now abdicate with Charles becoming King, and the press is going to have a... you know the term... field day. So interesting it will be.

18 minutes ago, butlers said:

My post was aimed at the pathetic post of MJ01

I apologise. 

None needed think we posted within couple of seconds.

Be interesting what the moderation team make if the other post.

4 hours ago, makapaka said:

I never speak ill of the dead.

he meant something to someone.

the reaction is ridiculous though -  none of us knew him or knew what he was like - we only hear from the media or what see in made up programmes like the crown etc.

At the end of the day a very privileged old man at the age of 99 has died.

It’s a shame but  a lot of other older people die - every day - for whatever reason - and you don’t hear owt about a any of em.

👏👏👏👏👏👏

RIP the Duke of Edinburgh 

A part of our history & one of those 'where were you moments'

JFK,

First moon landing,

Death of Princess Di,

Sheffield's two towers demolished,

Corovirus deadly appearance.

or the day you couldn't watch Coronation St,

Emerdale, East Enders, Gardeners world, or Master Chef

because the Patriarch of the Royal family died.

what a sad indictment on society. 

Keep Safe & long live the Queen.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

As previous posters have stated, the TV coverage was a bit much but in my opinion this was a pure case of TV companies  competing against  each other probably  to earn the best  Queens approval and a few brownie points chucked in,   even tho he has done some shady deceitful things  over the years which were well documented at the time would not IMO be the done thing at this present time to re-ash but to make him out as some type of Saint was a bit OTT.  Oh! I would like to mention the TV serial, The Crown for drama purpose, did have some made up stuff but there were alot of well documented facts there too,  showing Phillips shady past.

10 hours ago, janie48 said:

I've also learnt more about him from a programme I've been watching today.

I knew a little about his childhood from something I'd previously read, and  there  was a  programme on a few weeks ago about his mother Princess Alice I found interesting.

She was born deaf and learnt to lip read in a few languages, but  she suffered with a mental illness in adult life, and Philip as a child was separated from her for a few years and sent to live with various relatives when she was forcibly admitted to a sanatorium.

Later in life she became a nun, but before then during the Nazi period, she had risked arrest by hiding  some Jewish people in her home.

In Israel she is among those on 'The Righteous  Amongst the Nations' list of honours.

I also watched the programme Janie about Prince Philip’s Mother, Princess Alice, and how she risked her life to hide Jewish people in her home. 

It’s considered a big honour for a non Jewish person to be buried in Israel and placed on The Righteous Amongst the Nations list of honours.  For this to happen you must have done something courageous to help protect a Jewish person which she did and also Oskar Schindler who helped many  Jews was also given this honour and is also buried in Israel.

I’m sure it was last year showing Prince William on a state visit to Israel,  he wanted  to go and see where Prince Phillip’s mother Alice is buried.

Edited by hauxwell

12 hours ago, Delbow said:

On Radio 1, Danny Howard is having to play house music in a quiet and respectful fashion. Bonkers.

DMX also known as Earl Simmons has died as well yesterday.

Edited by dutch

7 hours ago, apelike said:

Putting some things into perspective... We have problems with covid laws, the public and a very public funeral taking place. We also have Harry and Meghan coming to it. Her maj could now abdicate with Charles becoming King, and the press is going to have a... you know the term... field day. So interesting it will be.

I can’t see the Queen abdicating but I could be wrong.    

If it is a public funeral it will be a very low key one.  Prince Philip is going to be buried in Windsor Castle where he died.  So it’s not as though people will line the streets to see his coffin being taken to the castle as he is already there.  We might see the funeral service on TV and some dignitaries arriving to attend the funeral.

You could be right about the press having a field day if Harry and Megan do go to the funeral.

There are going to be some gun salutes fired today. 

I always prefer to be warned of this beforehand.

Edited by dutch
mistake