Prince Philip Has Died

Guest sibon
4 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The BBC is our country's national broadcaster and the UK is a monarchy.  There are plenty of TV channels and on demand services for the television audience to watch as an alternative to BBC coverage on a sad day for our country.

I know all of that.

They still don’t need to stick the same stuff on four different channels like some kind of Stalinist propaganda machine.

Mercifully, the IPL has just started. You watch Phil, I’ll watch Rohit Sharma.

Guest sibon
10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

As India is part of the Commonwealth I hope they have the common decency to hold a two minutes silence before play starts similar to what has been observed at the Aintree Grand National meeting.

Hahaha.

You’ve improved in the last couple of years. I’ll give you that 

Selflessly loyal to Queen and Country

R.I.P.

1 hour ago, sibon said:

The BBC are currently showing the same coverage on four different tv channels. Surely one would suffice. 

A ridiculous over-reaction to a sad, but hardly unexpected event.

BBC One and Two have suspended all normal programming until 6am TOMORROW. ITV showing news all afternoon.

Even QVC, a shopping channel, have whacked up a holding slide saying all programming is suspended. Beyond absurd.

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

BBC One and Two have suspended all normal programming until 6am TOMORROW. ITV showing news all afternoon.

Even QVC, a shopping channel, have whacked up a holding slide saying all programming is suspended. Beyond absurd.

It's ridiculous - why does it have to be on so many channels. Every sympathy with the family but this is overkill.

5 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

It's ridiculous - why does it have to be on so many channels. Every sympathy with the family but this is overkill.

It's not like he was even that popular, even among royalists. I wonder how much pressure the govt. are putting on the BBC to ramp it up, nothing like a good distraction.

2 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

It is your freedom to watch it or not there is plenty more available online.

We will get creative with what we put on telly later. Had to put a CD on in the car today.

If people want to support the belief of royalty it's up to them.

Nothing against Phillip RIP but he is no more or less special than the old woman I knew who died from covid last month.

It's always sad when someone dies even if it's expected but by eck I'm glad I don't watch TV much. I've just had a look and it's wall to wall news about him. 

I'm sure plenty will appreciate the extensive coverage but I find it a bit too much. 

I'm no monarchist, but I was sad to hear this. Prince Phillip has served this country well and supported the Queen admirably. We will miss him. My sympathy and condolences go to Her Majesty and family who have lost their much loved anchor.  

42 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'm no monarchist, but I was sad to hear this. Prince Phillip has served this country well and supported the Queen admirably. We will miss him. My sympathy and condolences go to Her Majesty and family who have lost their much loved anchor.  

I won't miss him. It's a sad day for his family but for me, any death is a loss, his death is no greater loss than any other human.

In what way has he served his country any more than countless others who work every day. It's just work, however you choose to dress it up, and he and the other royals were and are handsomely rewarded for it.

Edited by Bargepole23

RIP Prince Philip.

Sad news, but not a great shock knowing how ill  he was.

GIad to hear there are tribute programmes on TV paying him respect.

It's always a little sad when someone dies, but I can't bring myself to care all that much. 

Sounds heartless, but I've seen so many people die over the last 6 months, he's just another one of the elderly people who I don't really know who have died.

Radios 2 and 4 were broadcasting exactly the same early this afternoon.  I kept switching between the two because I thought I was hearing things wrong!

They surely don't need to keep 24 hour rolling obituary opinions going, do they?