Selling Used Car Privately - Is It Worthy?

Just wondering if anyone has sold a used car privately - is it a lot of hassle or a pretty straightforward thing to do? Would be happy to hear your views.

I checked the auto trader prices for the cars of a similar age/mileage sold privately, as well as the "webuyanycar"-like websites for selling my car to straight to them, and the difference in price is striking! Part exchange also looks like a "rip off"...

Also, is it possible at all to just come and sell a car to a local car trader/garage, without buying from them?

any comments are appreciated! thanks.

its a simple ,sell your car,be honest,offer to let them check it ,thats it ,no come back,its when people try to rip people off with lies,or as you say off to we buy any car,no come backs or really push the garage for a decent deal and just walk away if not happy ,or theres the auction,re- car dealers they offer a price and its up to you,so theres plenty of ways to sell.its just a matter of what suits  you.

At the moment used car prices have gone a bit daft as in fetching good prices if selling to a private individual.  Don’t sell to a trader as they won’t give you as much as a private buyer will 

I agree

Sell it privately, be honest, give a test drive and on the receipt put Sold As Seen. 

This 👆👆👆

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll give it a go!

Edited by Conte

Couple of golden rules:

Complete and send off the change of owner slip to DVLA. You don't want any tickets.

Don't let it go until you have pennies in your pocket. If not cash, wait until cheque has cleared or bank transfer has completed.

As mentioned, prepare a receipt. 2 copies, both signed and you keep one copy.

14 minutes ago, Conte said:

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll give it a go!

Good morning. Out of interest what car is it you are selling ?  I'm on the llok out for one . Thanks , Kev.

19 hours ago, Conte said:

Just wondering if anyone has sold a used car privately - is it a lot of hassle or a pretty straightforward thing to do? Would be happy to hear your views.

I checked the auto trader prices for the cars of a similar age/mileage sold privately, as well as the "webuyanycar"-like websites for selling my car to straight to them, and the difference in price is striking! Part exchange also looks like a "rip off"...

Also, is it possible at all to just come and sell a car to a local car trader/garage, without buying from them?

any comments are appreciated! thanks.

Always sold my cars privately & pretty much do as @enntee said. 

Only ever had one hassle and that was for a car I sold where I had stated that it was for spares/repairs as the fly-by-wire throttle was failing intermitantly & replacing it would have been 3x what I paid for the car. 

Buyer got 4 miles away and it failed. He sent me a solicitor's letter with an invoice for the tow-truck he had to use. I sent his solictor a copy of the ad & the reciept where I had written 'Spares or repair - Faulty throttle system'. 

His solicitor wrote back apologising and ending any legal action.

Webuyanycar is a large scale con job. There are so many stories of them promising an amount then they'll spend hours pouring over the car and in the end offer a pittance to what they originally offered. 

A good friend of mine had a 3 year old prestige car and was moving to the states for work. The car was immaculate, practically factory fresh. He checked what the car was worth & was prepared to lose 1-2k with WBAC just to get it sold. They offered 13,000 LESS than it was worth.

2 hours ago, enntee said:

Couple of golden rules:

Complete and send off the change of owner slip to DVLA. You don't want any tickets.

You can do the change of keeper part online now, no need to wait for the postie or worry that the DVLA lose the paperwork.

The worst thing - especially if you list on Facebook - is you'll get dozens of "is this still available" and then no response.  You'll also get loads of stupid offers even though they've never come to look at the car.