3d Printed Homes! would you?

A friend of mine works for one of the biggest concrete foundation suppliers in the Netherlands, they have been working very hard, behind the scenes, to develop a method to 3D print houses. Yup, you've heard it right! 

Although his company haven't actually achieved the right technology yet (ground stability is a huge issue in the swampy nether lands), there is an increasing amount of companies (particularly in China, which led the way, and the US) that are exploring these techniques. A 3D printed house basically consists of fast drying concrete applied in a very mathematical and precise manner by a gigantic mobile 3D printer. Currently they are quite limited in size, but the potential to print a multi-storey dwelling is real. It is also estimated to be 35% cheaper than conventional build.

Which begs the question: Would you live in one? 

Initially my thoughts were: Sure, why not! and then I began thinking about the other factors: How long will the house be viable to live in? Where will they build these houses? Can you get a mortgage on one...

Got this off YouTube. 

Possibly a good way of producing a high volume of units in a reasonably fast time. 

Don't think certain building trades, such as bricklayers, would be happy just cementing the various bits together but if it produces affordable properties, I could see estates springing up. 

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

it's an interesting concept.  The issue of a mortgage or someone in the future getting a mortgage to buy the home is a valid concern.  Non standard construction properties such as some concrete type houses built in the 60's can't get mortgages. Personally I would rather live on or build a Dutch barge houseboat than getting involved in 3d printer construction property.

Funnily I had one of those for sale through my parents last year ;) (A Dutch barge that is). Although living on the water is great (My parents now live in a pontoon-home) I don't think we have enough open water in the UK to use it as a large scale solution. I also know someone that lives in the type of property you mentioned, they bought it cheap and don't care, but there are many issues with the property, dampness and an inability to make structural changes for one. 

Concrete also has the massive disadvantage of being very impactful on the climate, more CO2 is released in making concrete (Primarily in mining of cement) than in most other building materials. Alternative building materials are untested and even more likely to cause issues re. mortgaging etc. Although apparently there is a firm in Germany that has successfully piloted building with wood pulp?

@Baron99 - nice video, that is exactly what I'm talking about! 

3D printing seems to be the way forward in lots of areas. As for a house? Yeah why not. I'd live in one. 

3 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

A friend of mine works for one of the biggest concrete foundation suppliers in the Netherlands, they have been working very hard, behind the scenes, to develop a method to 3D print houses. Yup, you've heard it right! 

Although his company haven't actually achieved the right technology yet (ground stability is a huge issue in the swampy nether lands), there is an increasing amount of companies (particularly in China, which led the way, and the US) that are exploring these techniques. A 3D printed house basically consists of fast drying concrete applied in a very mathematical and precise manner by a gigantic mobile 3D printer. Currently they are quite limited in size, but the potential to print a multi-storey dwelling is real. It is also estimated to be 35% cheaper than conventional build.

Which begs the question: Would you live in one? 

Initially my thoughts were: Sure, why not! and then I began thinking about the other factors: How long will the house be viable to live in? Where will they build these houses? Can you get a mortgage on one...

I believe some companies are using 3D technology to build simple homes in developing countries.