Sheffields Famous Bricklayers.

3 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I recall a bricklayer in the mid 1960s called Ernest who worked for Woodhouses.

A real gentleman. He arrived on the job in his car and well dressed.

Put on his overalls and boots and started work.

That might be him. He used to wear a trilby. Lived on the flower estate. He had two sons Graham who was a good snooker player and one who passed away young. First saw him when they were building the Wensley Estate, next to Wincobank hill in 1978. The really hot summer, think that was the year. Bailey and Martins the company.

Another bricklayer I recall was Arthur. He worked for Ackroyd and Abbots on King Edwards school on Shore lane in the 1960s.

I would have been his apprentice if another lad hadn't started there a week earlier.

Hi I worked on same job as Steve down atterclife firm clovers used to see him in wicker he was with a tall bricklayer I think . I was carrying to Bob Owen  and Ken parsons ray Morgan carried to Fred jewel and Ken redfern . 

49 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Hi I worked on same job as Steve down atterclife firm clovers used to see him in wicker he was with a tall bricklayer I think . I was carrying to Bob Owen  and Ken parsons ray Morgan carried to Fred jewel and Ken redfern . 

Think Steve is dead now. He got beat up by some thugs if I remember rightly when he was getting on. His face was a mess. He went in Firth Park Hotel and liked playing cards. I didn't know him that well

On 23/09/2021 at 18:02, websters gue said:

A good bricklayer lived near me in Walkley when I was growing up and he built his own house, Mick Colley.

Glad to hear Mick and Jan are OK .

Just now, cuttsie said:

Glad to hear Mick and Jan are OK .

Cheers buddy.

1 minute ago, websters gue said:

Cheers buddy.

I could tell a tale or two about my time working with Mick but better keep it under my beret .

On 17/11/2021 at 12:35, harvey19 said:

Another bricklayer I recall was Arthur. He worked for Ackroyd and Abbots on King Edwards school on Shore lane in the 1960s.

I would have been his apprentice if another lad hadn't started there a week earlier.

Arther Potts was that is name

Had a read at this thread and it mentioned Bunny Gray, did he live on Pyebank in the 60s.

My Dad Dougie Tansley was an hodd carrier in his early years I used to go with him on a Saturday morning in the school holidays, he was a good hoddie apparently

1 hour ago, Cody's Granddad said:

Had a read at this thread and it mentioned Bunny Gray, did he live on Pyebank in the 60s.

My Dad Dougie Tansley was an hodd carrier in his early years I used to go with him on a Saturday morning in the school holidays, he was a good hoddie apparently

I believe Bunny (George ) Grey did live up there in the 60's , but some of his family lived in the Wybourn Area .

A good bloke was Bunny his son some times posts on these pages .

17 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I believe Bunny (George ) Grey did live up there in the 60's , but some of his family lived in the Wybourn Area .

A good bloke was Bunny his son some times posts on these pages .

That would be Darren who I also know well from my Childhood.

Yes Bunny was a nice bloke always spoke to me and he was a mate of my Dads.

I read he was a  "hard Man " but looking back I never saw him as that.

1 hour ago, Cody's Granddad said:

That would be Darren who I also know well from my Childhood.

Yes Bunny was a nice bloke always spoke to me and he was a mate of my Dads.

I read he was a  "hard Man " but looking back I never saw him as that.

Bunny was not one of the so called  hard men  he never bullied any one , but if he was picked on he would go bananas .  The ballon would go up .

• Like 1