Sheffields Famous Bricklayers.

12 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Hi George Harry hart was land lord in red lion where we used to go before Cyril Cooper lived up long line 50s early 60s in pub,

This is from a thread about old cafes on here years ago. 

Anyone remember the Disc Jockey on London Road ? Very popular for a long time in the late '50's and early '60's.Owned by Harry Hart at some stage. He had been [or later became ?] the landlord of the Red Lion at the back of the City Hall. He later got the Sidewalk on Chapel Walk ---another fantastic meeting place in the '60's.

8 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Hi George Harry hart was land lord in red lion where we used to go before Cyril Cooper lived up long line 50s early 60s in pub,

Cheers G , I recognised name , and remember that cafe in Pond Street bus station  being owned by one of the Town mob , so must have got Harry Hart mixed up , Ted Baker may have run it ,he ran all sorts at that time but it was one of the town lot for cert .

The Harry Hart I know was a bricklayer for Thomas Arden in the early 60s 

On Spital Hill

Thomas Arden had some good bricklayers who served their apprentice ship with that firm I carried hod to fastest I ever worked with  his name is Bob Owen he could move some stuff he is about 80 now  he tought  is son who is now a builder 

1 hour ago, Slinny said:

Thomas Arden had some good bricklayers who served their apprentice ship with that firm I carried hod to fastest I ever worked with  his name is Bob Owen he could move some stuff he is about 80 now  he tought  is son who is now a builder 

Big Harry Brown was another G , I worked with him , we never had a break or dinner time , keep going 8 hours a day . I think the builder was Peter Proctor or Dennis Ledger from Dronfield .

On 04/10/2021 at 13:48, Alextopman said:

This is from a thread about old cafes on here years ago. 

Anyone remember the Disc Jockey on London Road ? Very popular for a long time in the late '50's and early '60's.Owned by Harry Hart at some stage. He had been [or later became ?] the landlord of the Red Lion at the back of the City Hall. He later got the Sidewalk on Chapel Walk ---another fantastic meeting place in the '60's.

Harry Hart also owned the wallpaper shop almost next to the Sidewalk Cafe on Chapel Walk.

Mick greenwood was still going in cannon, bottom of lane up to his death in 2007

8 hours ago, Slinny said:

Was Jack Cadman one of those bricklayers ?

Harry Hart married David Lidgard’s mother, they were running The Ladybower where David put a pistol to his head and pulled the trigger, she was distraught, poor woman.

Edited by crookesey

Yes Jack Cadman was a bricklayer for Ardenshe was the Forman for them in the 60s 70s till they went out of business  and also he was a great person he used to come and thank for doing a job for him 

20 hours ago, Bowls said:

Yes Jack Cadman was a bricklayer for Ardenshe was the Forman for them in the 60s 70s till they went out of business  and also he was a great person he used to come and thank for doing a job for him 

I think Arden's lasted a bit  longer than that, Jack was still the site foreman for them at Union Carbide (Claywheels Lane) in 1987. Ken Longley was his No 2.

Hi Arden’s had two brothers who worked for them I think one of them served his time with them second name wild goose think it was the younger one they worked for hassles in 60s good bricklayers   They had to be with hassels  prices