Sheffields Famous Bricklayers.

4 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi  I carried the hod for cuttsie I started sub contract with him we worked for hassles  on fox hill bricklayers on site were bunny gray dug Martin  Allan Murphy mate frank  ken redfern 

And a gang from Killamarch  I always get same money  as bricklayers  as I did scaffolding mixing sheeting out all guts and carrying  the hod  the main thing to learn with hod carrying the hod is knowing how to count how much you need on scaffolding bricks and breeze blocks I worked with some fast bricklayers   Harold snape   Harry fox.  Albert fields  and son Albert.  Bob Owen and Ken parsons  I did not like any help at all  so if it was a bad carry I would go early in morning to make sure that I did not get behind. Most jobs I went in my own car I liked my job  hard work but good money  never wanted inside furnace work  7days working  away  not for me 

Memories there G,  Hassles bloody castles , £5 a thousand int footings , no wonder we slung em up , mind you I live in middle of  a Hassles estate now and those three story blocks look good , garage on ground level then up stairs to next , then up again to top floor a long way with a hod that was . A old fellow near me moved  in  around 1961 paid £5,500 for bungalow with garage and central heating, next door has just sold for £290,000 so we did summit right eh .

Hi lol Parkin used to work with Pete brown and Brian fidler on hod worked for h r smiths lol and Brian always in red lion  back of city hall lol used to also go in fairways old Albert fields not well at moment phoned him up yesterday .  Fred jawel was another bricklayer who could earn is money myself and George cutts and ray hartly had a good job for Colin husteler  also worked for cliftons another gang was bill fountain  and Keith Clarke Dennis stone on hod the fastest I ever carried to was Bob Owen he really made me have it.used to take semi detached straight up brick middle walls and big chimney breasts   But thinking about it we used to take most blocks straight up  all so had Ken parsons with Bob was not one and one bricklaying talk that bit  great days

12 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Hi lol Parkin used to work with Pete brown and Brian fidler on hod worked for h r smiths lol and Brian always in red lion  back of city hall lol used to also go in fairways old Albert fields not well at moment phoned him up yesterday .  Fred jawel was another bricklayer who could earn is money myself and George cutts and ray hartly had a good job for Colin husteler  also worked for cliftons another gang was bill fountain  and Keith Clarke Dennis stone on hod the fastest I ever carried to was Bob Owen he really made me have it.used to take semi detached straight up brick middle walls and big chimney breasts   But thinking about it we used to take most blocks straight up  all so had Ken parsons with Bob was not one and one bricklaying talk that bit  great days

Brian Fidler never carried the hod and didn't know Lol Parkin, the hod carrier was Brain Burkenshaw.

I knew Bill Fountain a bit but knew Keith [Nobby] Clarke quite well and hi Son.

3 hours ago, Slinny said:

Some good money with Colin Hustlers mob G,  Derick Savage on same job  , He also sang on clubs one  being Arundel , singing not exactly Sinatra same as bricklaying .  My old pal Bunney  Deakin carried on same job , remember when he used to carry 8 ft concrete lintels up ladder for us , he used to call us mini gang . Hustler used to come on job in a Bentley he looked like one of them gangsters on't pictures , but he was as straight as a die wi our money . Good days .

Parkin's of Arbourthorne , I worked with a Pete Parkin in Ireland , he chinned IRA man who threatened to turn furnace on while us English --------- where still in , Arbourthorne kiss sorted that one out .don't know if it was same Parkin family or not .

Edited by cuttsie

44 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Parkin's of Arbourthorne , I worked with a Pete Parkin in Ireland , he chinned IRA man who threatened to turn furnace on while us English --------- where still in , Arbourthorne kiss sorted that one out .don't know if it was same Parkin family or not .

Different Parkin, Lol was always in the Bottom of Lane on Friday dinners and Saturday afternoons like a lot of other Bricklayers.

He was a very close friend of Charlie and Shirley Bean.

a good pair of brickies were bill fountain and jack brown hod carrier were called ron dont remember his surname

Yes I remember Bill Fountain good trades man , The Brown I remember first name was Harry , A very big man who was the fastest bricklayer I worked with , I still  got tut middle most of time though .

S. Sorry Alex lol Parkins hod carrier name Brian Harrison but if you ask mick Kendall I think you will find some thought is name was fiddler not the one you know  I know who he is  Keith Clarke worked with Jack wood before fountain and fountain worked with Harold snape  Ronnie mills was hod carrier  they worked for W Myers dericks uncle if you knew him 

42 minutes ago, Slinny said:

S. Sorry Alex lol Parkins hod carrier name Brian Harrison but if you ask mick Kendall I think you will find some thought is name was fiddler not the one you know  I know who he is  Keith Clarke worked with Jack wood before fountain and fountain worked with Harold snape  Ronnie mills was hod carrier  they worked for W Myers dericks uncle if you knew him 

I still see Mick Kendall at the Milestone Crystal Peaks, he was also a close friend of Lol Parkin and my Dad.

The Brian Fidler you mentioned earlier was the first footballer to do a lap of honour at Wembley after scoring a goal.

Edited by Alextopman

5 hours ago, Alextopman said:

I still see Mick Kendall at the Milestone Crystal Peaks, he was also a close friend of Lol Parkin and my Dad.

The Brian Fidler you mentioned earlier was the first footballer to do a lap of honour at Wembley after scoring a goal.

Alex are you Billy’s son if so I remember him working with Albert knight and brother he carried to them I used to go in Lloyds with Albert fields mick Kendal  tony law Jonny Jevcan’t spell his sir name terry France  mick falston and Charlie who carried to Albert green and Alfie hog  

8 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Alex are you Billy’s son if so I remember him working with Albert knight and brother he carried to them I used to go in Lloyds with Albert fields mick Kendal  tony law Jonny Jevcan’t spell his sir name terry France  mick falston and Charlie who carried to Albert green and Alfie hog  

Yes, don't tell Cuttsie though he's been guessing who I am for years.😁😀.

I knew Albert and Alan Knight.

The one you can't spell is Johnny Dzeiwior. [Jevvy].

Edited by Alextopman

Hi Alex your dad great guy I got married 1965 in Royal Oak beighton you dad was in that night knew who he was since about 1962 he was with tony canetie on my wedding day I was once in George and dragon one Saturday when a  guy picked on you I saw what happened you did not start that I had some bother in their myself with a bully got locked up for weekend then big fine Gary who had chip shop also had trouble with same guy your dad told me some great tales thank for writing