Sheffields Famous Bricklayers.

3 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi Arden’s had two brothers who worked for them I think one of them served his time with them second name wild goose think it was the younger one they worked for hassles in 60s good bricklayers   They had to be with hassels  prices 

Hassles bleedin castles , It was us lot who were bleedin daft working for them prices , I remember going to offices on Olive Grove when money was late .

I worked with Jack Cadman and Ken Longley I left Ardens in the 70sArdens were in Union Carbide from the end of WW2 Jack Cadman started working for Ardens on the Coop funeral parlor at the side of the station 

Hi George we had own scaffolding to do never enough of it always one hose pipe between about six gangs mixers always going wrong  around 180pounds for a pair of houses 6pounds per thousand in footings 1964. Wages around 30 to 35pounds per week  some  bricklayers will tell you they were on a lot more at that time they were dreaming   Not on hassles  unless they were working seven days  I never wanted that furnace bricklayerswere  earning more 7days 12hours and working away  not for me thank you.

2 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi George we had own scaffolding to do never enough of it always one hose pipe between about six gangs mixers always going wrong  around 180pounds for a pair of houses 6pounds per thousand in footings 1964. Wages around 30 to 35pounds per week  some  bricklayers will tell you they were on a lot more at that time they were dreaming   Not on hassles  unless they were working seven days  I never wanted that furnace bricklayerswere  earning more 7days 12hours and working away  not for me thank you.

Hassles agent was called  Boady after that big Indian ont telly , he called me and Tony Hughes into middle of road one day , and pointed to one of the newly built houses , 

He Said" just look at state of that brick work "    "you should be ashamed of your selves" . "you are sacked " as he was walking away Tony  called him back and said ,"  Mr Boady it was Bunneys gang that built that block " 

Bunny's gang was Boady's  favourite gang and got all the best treatment so he just looked at us and said "well next time I see owt like that he'l be down road anall ."

George bunny’s gang built  battering stack but it did not batter main man called 

Atherton told them to pull it down  told  Forman to only keep them on straight blocks of houses years later saw bunny in pub in wicker and had a good laugh about it can you remember is mate duggy fall through joist carried him up road on a door good old days but.not much money l remember we worked Christmas Eve till 2 o’clock back Boxing Day well that’s what you had to do on hassles 

Remember it well G, Bloody hard graft every day, I also remember a hod carrier ripping his thumb off on Cliftons site while starting a mixer , Little Ray Hartley fainted the hoddy just wrapped his finger up in a scarf and shot of to have it stitched on .

Hi George one of the best jobs we had was for colin husler  at  Bramley near rothham on bungalows he was working there bunny deakin  gaffer Sid Bennit happy job a pleasure to go to work .

14 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Hi George one of the best jobs we had was for colin husler  at  Bramley near rothham on bungalows he was working there bunny deakin  gaffer Sid Bennit happy job a pleasure to go to work .

Bunny  Deakin lived ont Valley , member of Midhill club , strong as a horse .

He used to shove us out of his way and carry eight foot nine lintels up ladder on his shoulder , called us mini gang .

Then he would have a feight with Irish navvies at dinner just for a laugh , 

Last saw Bunny in Royal Standard stood ont door talking to Brain Thackery .

Colin Hustler lived up to his name he was a good gaffer who paid us well , Sid Bennet was good at booking in always gave us a bit extra as long as we bought him a pint or two .

I think we all managed to buy our own car on that job I  got a Ford Classic from Auto Finance on Richards Road .

One neet it went missing , the mardy arses had reclaimed it  back. twatttts .

Hi George got first good car of mine same place as yours . I had one or two.off them . That classic would be worth allot of money now I bet, I drank with bunny in black stock pub for many years  first met in in round house pub about 1962 tuff lad but never a bully . I used to have a drink with punch , the gaffer of the Irish lads on the job we were on also came across joiner on job tony  he was agent on Barrett’s site when I was scaffolding 

You are right G , Bunny was a real hard man , although no one ever knew it because he kept his gob shut , I remember punch as well,  him and Bunny used to have a wrestle in the dinner hour , All good fun no nastiness , shake hands after wards .

Derick Savage on same job he was a part time club turn a pal of Jim Platts he was .

Edited by cuttsie

I used to be a brickie many moons ago but don't know any of you lads. I left bricking about 30 years ago. I couldn't think of a username so went for Sheffield Bricky, it sounded better than Sheffield Property Manager which I did after Bricking (retired now) When I started I remember Henry Guest. He was old then, probably 60! That was in the 70s. Also remember Cherry and Joe Kettle. Also remember from a bit later little Steve hoddy with the big beard. Lived up Whiteways Rd at Grimesthorpe. There was also a bloke called Nobby Walshaw who was often talked about. I worked with Ray Morgan for a bit, he was our hoddy.  I often watch videos on youtube now, sad I know, of bricklaying. They make a bit of money (some a lot) by posting their jobs. I find it interesting to watch. Things have changed a bit. I watch a bloke called Stu Compton. He does some good jobs. Have a look.

I recall a bricklayer in the mid 1960s called Ernest who worked for Woodhouses.

A real gentleman. He arrived on the job in his car and well dressed.

Put on his overalls and boots and started work.