Sheffields Famous Bricklayers.

34 minutes ago, jack reacher said:

Sidney Birks, top man !

Yes worked with him at King Taudiven and Gregson furnace builders , He never got mucky , cravat and Barney Goodman suit at work . He once got run or on East Bank rooooad .  His watering hole was the Cannon .

Guest makapaka
18 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Yes worked with him at King Taudiven and Gregson furnace builders , He never got mucky , cravat and Barney Goodman suit at work . He once got run or on East Bank rooooad .  His watering hole was the Cannon .

Wearing a suit whilst bricklaying?

28 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Wearing a suit whilst bricklaying?

Yes , many bricklayers did up to the late sixties my self included .

Guest makapaka
6 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Yes , many bricklayers did up to the late sixties my self included .

I never knew that.

why do you think that was? Was it a trend or a requirement or just self-pride?

Guest makapaka
5 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

We were big heads .

Ha - good stuff.

To elaborate, Bricklayers are the top actors in the building trade , no joiner , plumber , painter or plasterer has ever been shown a field  or empty site and told , " righto there  is the site" build a house , office or skyscraper , It is always the bricklayer who is responsible for making sure the building is in the right place in the right Town and that the building rises to the sky plumb and true.

Every other trade follows , moaning that this int right and thats not right , but in the end they all depend on Sheffields famous bricklayers to get the building in situ in the first place .

Anybody know a famous bricklayer called Jimmy Dibble...

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

Anybody know a famous bricklayer called Jimmy Dibble...

Knew Jimmy Rose but not Dibble .

Cladding has ruined the building trade and cost lives and misery to millions , Brick has been a safe good material for thousands of years , just like bricklayers .

34 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Knew Jimmy Rose but not Dibble .

Cladding has ruined the building trade and cost lives and misery to millions , Brick has been a safe good material for thousands of years , just like bricklayers .

Cheers Cuttsie,

Just wondered, Shiregreen lad he was, and what a comic.

Hi  I carried the hod for cuttsie I started sub contract with him we worked for hassles  on fox hill bricklayers on site were bunny gray dug Martin  Allan Murphy mate frank  ken redfern 

And a gang from Killamarch  I always get same money  as bricklayers  as I did scaffolding mixing sheeting out all guts and carrying  the hod  the main thing to learn with hod carrying the hod is knowing how to count how much you need on scaffolding bricks and breeze blocks I worked with some fast bricklayers   Harold snape   Harry fox.  Albert fields  and son Albert.  Bob Owen and Ken parsons  I did not like any help at all  so if it was a bad carry I would go early in morning to make sure that I did not get behind. Most jobs I went in my own car I liked my job  hard work but good money  never wanted inside furnace work  7days working  away  not for me 

4 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi  I carried the hod for cuttsie I started sub contract with him we worked for hassles  on fox hill bricklayers on site were bunny gray dug Martin  Allan Murphy mate frank  ken redfern 

And a gang from Killamarch  I always get same money  as bricklayers  as I did scaffolding mixing sheeting out all guts and carrying  the hod  the main thing to learn with hod carrying the hod is knowing how to count how much you need on scaffolding bricks and breeze blocks I worked with some fast bricklayers   Harold snape   Harry fox.  Albert fields  and son Albert.  Bob Owen and Ken parsons  I did not like any help at all  so if it was a bad carry I would go early in morning to make sure that I did not get behind. Most jobs I went in my own car I liked my job  hard work but good money  never wanted inside furnace work  7days working  away  not for me 

I used to Drink  with Albert Fields senior in the bottom of lane and Lloyds up town with my Dad and a few other lads up until about 4 or 5 years ago when my Dad became ill.

My Father in Law was also one of the bricklaying crowd his name was Lol Parkin.

Edited by Alextopman