Can I Get Builder To Pay For Extension Roof?

Four years ago we had a ground floor extension built. Last year the roof started leaking where it joins the house, down the side and wherever there is a join in the roof felt as rain is getting under the tiles when it's windy. 

I've had a couple of roofers look at it and they both say it needs the roof replacing with different tiles as the current tiles aren't suitable for the low roof pitch. 

The builder who did the extension is now retired, but could I get him to pay for the repairs or claim on the his insurance? I'm pretty sure there's a 10 year guarantee with his work. But not sure how to approach it. 

Possibly... one of the main points of an Insurance-backed guarantee is that if the original tradesperson retires or becomes a bus driver or whatever, you have a distinct route to getting satisfaction... however, I would also think you shoud've been given some details of the scheme used back when the job was done... I don't think it's generally up to you to go chasing-around, trying to find someone or some company who might not even exist still... you should already have the details you need to progress this... so your question is kinda incorrect in the way it's asked... you'd not get the Builder to pay... you'd claim on the Insurance that was, hopefully, set up. I fear you are talking about something else... like you think you can claim on his business Insurance from when he was trading... that I'm not sure of.

if the builder has retired and hasnt left you insurance paperwork for any guarantee its unlikely he would pay for a new roof especially if you have had no problem for over 4 years.

you may be lucky and hes a very generous man but i doubt it.

after 4 years things do deteriorate especially when ice starts getting in roof joints if they have been poorly installed same for the felt if its been laid properly it cant get under.

better to get a new roof put on with more modern materials. 

Think if roof pitch isnt steep enough you should have three quarter ply under tiles did it passed by a building 

inspector if not you cant claim off anybody 

Surely the builder fitted the tiles as specified by the architect so isn't it the architects fault ?

8 hours ago, Redcat said:

Four years ago we had a ground floor extension built. Last year the roof started leaking where it joins the house, down the side and wherever there is a join in the roof felt as rain is getting under the tiles when it's windy. 

I've had a couple of roofers look at it and they both say it needs the roof replacing with different tiles as the current tiles aren't suitable for the low roof pitch. 

The builder who did the extension is now retired, but could I get him to pay for the repairs or claim on the his insurance? I'm pretty sure there's a 10 year guarantee with his work. But not sure how to approach it. 

I'm surprised Building Control didn't ask for proof of what tiles were used if its a low pitched roof.

10 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I'm surprised Building Control didn't ask for proof of what tiles were used if its a low pitched roof.

Seems as if rain is getting in were the roof tiles meet the old building this would be a lead flashing  coming out of the wall .  ALWAYS a problem with extentions as 

there is no step cavity trays in  . If  the pointing on the house is not good rain can get in through pointing and go straight downas no cavity trays in . Nobody ever puts them in as its an akward job i know this cause i am an x bricklayer even buiding inspectors dont check for them on new extentions .  Most likely the flashing if you aint had a problem for 4 years a good roofer would check this first job 

As for claiming  off a builder thats been retirred 4 years you have no chance best look through your hose building insurance 

Edited by spider1

Guest makapaka
On 07/04/2021 at 13:31, Redcat said:

There’s a lot of other information needed in order to ascertain whether the builder is at fault and to what extent you would be entitled to recovery / compensation.

For example;

who designed the roof?

who specified the materials?

Did the builder construct in accordance with the design and specification and who confirmed this had happened?

what was the extent of the builders scope of works for roofing works defined in the contract?

has it been established that the leaks are due to the design and specification or from defective workmanship?

has it been established why there were no issues for the first 3 years?

Was a defect liability period agreed with the builder?

Did the builder provide you with a guarantee and what are the terms of that guarantee?

the simple answer to your question is - yes - there are circumstances where you would be entitled to recover costs - but not on the basis that

“the roof leaks - the builder constructed the roof - therefore the builder is at fault”

The fault and extent of liability would need to be established.

you may also need to consider the potential time/cost In seeking to establish that liability against the costs of repairs.

If you do intend to pursue the builder - you may wish to consider approaching a chartered surveyor who would  be able to offer further  advice having established some of the details mentioned above.

On 07/04/2021 at 20:35, Kelvin Phlats said:

I'd contact your home insurance company, see what they advise. You may be covered for legal costs in your home insurance.

Yes. AND the builder is liable- retired or otherwise- for six years from when he breached the contract, if he did: Limitation Act 1980.