Old Klah Mobiwire Flip Top Mobile Phone

When my husband died, I cancelled his direct debit contract with EE for his old-fashioned non-smart phone.  I think I'd like to use it now, because it has a built in camera and my mobile has not.  What do I need to do if I want Pay as you Go?

You should only need a compatible SIM card, stick it in and it should work... 

if it was on EE previously, it may be network locked to EE, so you may need to unlock it, do you know the make and model?

As Ghozer pointed out, make sure it's not locked to EE first.

At the moment I think O2 and 3 network are cheapest for PAYG. They both used to do a 3, 2, 1 type PAYG SIM. 3 being pence per minute talk time, 2 pence for a standard text, and 1p for each MB of data. I'd go with O2, I found the 3 network was just getting a poor signal in far too many places.

The SIM would come as a multi size SIM, you just push out the size SIM size you need for your phone. Both need you to pay up front for the SIM and put some cash on the card. Maybe a minimum of £10 with O2, £5 with 3 network? I think you can also buy the PAYG SIMS in local shops, I've never bought one this way so can't really help on how it works with them.

If it's all going to be a faff with the old phone, a new simple phone with camera can be bought very cheap. These would come under the term 'SIM Free' That just means it's not locked to any provider. I believe Argos sell them (plus other retailers)

If you decide to go for new but are unsure about which one, let us know your budget and we will see what we can find for you...and where 😉

No more 321 on O2 I’m afraid.

No more 321 on Three either.

The cheapest traditional PAYG sim now is from 1pmobile, but you need to top up at least £10 every 120 days.

Edit: 1pmobile use the EE network.

Edited by andysm

18 hours ago, florence kat said:

When my husband died, I cancelled his direct debit contract with EE for his old-fashioned non-smart phone.  I think I'd like to use it now, because it has a built in camera and my mobile has not.  What do I need to do if I want Pay as you Go?

Hello florence kat,

I have a MobiWire Klah flip phone, and I can assure you that phototographs taken with this phone are very poor quality.

I stand corrected about O2 and 3 with the cheap PAYG. Is it just for new customers? I use a dual SIM phone and used my O2 PAYG number to make a call and it only deducted about 6p (couple of minutes call time)

I have 3 numbers with O2 - 2 PAYG and my main contract number. You've got me curious now! I only got a contract as I wanted an eSIM, it was £2 cheaper than GiffGaff for the same deal, obviously I'm tied with the O2 contract for 12 months.

EDIT: I'll answer my own question. It is still on my account at the cost of 3p, 2p and 1p. It does say in the Q&A's that existing customers cannot switch to it. So, it looks like, if you had it you can keep it (for now) but as above, no new customers.

Edited by zach

Thank you for info and suggestions.  The phone may well be locked into EE.  I was only hoping I would be able to use this phone with Pay as you go because of the camera.  I suppose a camera on the Klah is better than no camera at all!  As for tariffs, I'll have to get the up to date details.

I think I shall have to get into the city centre and ask the right questions.